Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Helmet question

To disable ads, please log-in.

I got a light concussion from tipping over at about 5mph. That was WITH a helmet on, the way my head hit that rock might have cracked it without it. Get a helmet. Wear it. Brain damage isn't fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I got a light concussion from tipping over at about 5mph. That was WITH a helmet on, the way my head hit that rock might have cracked it without it. Get a helmet. Wear it. Brain damage isn't fun.
    Yikes! When was this???

@Tulip. OMG, how horrible. I had no idea you'd gone through that. Was this before you joined TE or did I somehow miss such a bad crash?
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    2003. Not sure I was posting on TE at that point...I can't remember!!

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    2003. Not sure I was posting on TE at that point...I can't remember!!
    That was before my time. Not that it really matters, but I'd feel horrible if I somehow missed the news that you were injured so badly.

How traumatic of an experience for you. Of course, your crash dramatically proves the point that head injuries can happen under circumstances one wouldn't necessarily expect to be so dangerous.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    When you suffer a serious head injury you'll wish you'd put safety above fashion. I mean, if the head injury doesn't render ya' dead, of course.

Seriously, I don't really give a rat's behind what I look like on my bike, as long as I'm reasonably safe. I'm not riding to impress anyone or act as a fashion plate. I rock the comfy spandex and dorky helmet with a degree of pride. I gave up caring what others think about what I wear once I left the ridiculousness of HS.
    +1. Yeah, they look a little silly, but I'd rather look dorky than end up with a concussion or worse. (My SO probably would have died if he hadn't been wearing a helmet when he crashed. Luckily he escaped with a concussion and no lasting damage.) Look for a MTB helmet with a visor if you don't want that "roadie" look just yet. Not so well ventilated.

But there's always these: http://www.tail-wags.com/index.php
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I have the Bell Sweep XC, which comes with visor -- some of the Amazon pictures show it with the visor on. It is nice enough.

In 2003, my front wheel got stuck in a crack on the road and I hit the ground hard, cracked the helmet and actually saw blue when sat up. No concussion diagnosed in the ER, but the first question out of the doctors and nurses was, invariably, "were you wearing a helmet?". If nothing else, wear a helmet so you don't ever face possibly judgmental medical staff.

as an alternative test as to whether or not you need to wear a helmet, stand outside beside your bike with a a raw egg in your hand while holding onto the handle bar. Drop the egg. Look at the results and pretend the egg and its contents were your head and brain.

Be aware that different brands of helmets are different shapes. Some are more oval while others are more circular. Pick one that fits the shape of your head.

As for looking dorky- I would much rather look dorky in my helmet and be fully functional than have to spend the rest of my life looking cool but with the brain skills of a slug or a vegetable.

just sayin.....
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Are you interested in the skater style at all? I know many who are off-put by the serious road helmet looks but will go for skate/ski style helmets. I saw some awesome looking NutCase helmets last weekend at my LBS, they even had a watermelon painted one! http://www.nutcasehelmets.com Might not provide as much ventilation though.

Another thing to consider with fit is don't look at the pre-designated Men's/Women's/Youth/Child sizes on the box, especially if you go box store. In college I had to get a new helmet on short notice at WalMart and wound up with a Youth sized helmet to get a snug enough fit. The newer adjustable ratchet straps around the back of the head help a ton.

Whatever you do, make sure it's snug. The straps of my snowboard helmet were loose this spring since I wasn't wearing my usual Buff and scarf under it. I just finished a very steep part and was catching up to the boys in my group celebrating my first run that steep, and face planted on the flat part! Helmet flopped upwards and I hit the side of my head where the helmet was supposed to be (also slammed my goggles onto my eye socket). Had a headache for a week, and probably had a minor concussion.

A fall/crash can sneak up on you at the least obvious time. We are most cautious when things are dangerous and much too lax when things seem safe. Anything can happen.

Helmet fashion sucks, but once i got over how they look on me, it's all good. My head matters, especially when I fell over from a standing position. I still had a mild concussion but it saved my head from cracking open on the pavement.

Check out some stores and get one that fits. I'm with you on pink, but I've seen some fabulous women's helmets that are feminine w/o being girly. I thought I saw one similar to your bike colors the last time I was in a bike shop but don't remember what brand. It might have been a Giro.

I have a Giro that I like. It was last year's model so the guy sold it to me for a steal.

Good luck finding your helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by pll View Post
    If nothing else, wear a helmet so you don't ever face possibly judgmental medical staff.
    Except for the charming staff we encountered at a DC Metro Area hospital over the 4th of July weekend with my DH's last crash. I showed the helmet to the admissions staff, and they said "Well, you wouldn't have to be here if he hadn't been wearing that. He wouldn't have been hurt. Helmets are a rip off."

Yeah. It's a good thing my energies were focused elsewhere at the time. I was not a happy camper (and thankfully the PA who treated him in the ER was much better informed).
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Indy - it was during my first attempt at going clipless in early 2010. I didn't say much about it here, but it was a comment from someone here that got me to my doctor. It was a very slow speed fall, but my head hit a rock. Got a new helmet out of it.

I never notice what someone's helmet looks like. I'm too busy looking at their butt.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    I never notice what someone's helmet looks like. I'm too busy looking at their butt.
    Oh THAT will make the OP less self-conscious.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

The emergency room folks don't care if you have helmet hair when they are treating you!

Hoping this doesn't pose too much thread hijack but has anyone worn one of these helmets? I am wondering if you have is it hot to wear because it has less vents? Is it heavy? And lastly is it true to size? Any feedback appreciated.

I am one of those persons who does not like the style of the racing helmet, my own personal opinion is that they make me look like a raptor or some kind of reptile. However there are many who probably think that the helmet pictured below is very dorky but I think it's cute and am looking to get one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	5.5 KB 
ID:	13549  
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011