Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

How do you wear the buff? I have one...

Another one here for bandanas. I sweat like a fiend, so I need something to keep at least some of the sweat out of my eyes.

I can't wear anything under my helmet when it's hot, I don't care what my hair looks like, it's too uncomfortable.

I started putting lip balm over my eyebrows and that works to keep the sweat out of my eyes. I find it's best to apply it down past the outside of my eyes, otherwise sometimes the sweat will run into the sides of my eyes when I stop riding.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Whats a buff?????
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

Quote Originally Posted by surgtech1956 View Post
    Whats a buff?????
    Here is one of the sites that sells them. The way I typically wear mine is hard to explain and I've not seen a video example of it.

What I do is turn it inside out, then place my hand in one end of the tube, with the bottom of the buff at about my wrist. I then place my hand on my forehead, fingers towards the back of my head. With my free hand I grab the part of the tube opposite my forehead hand and pull it back over my head.

I will also double it up to wear as a hat for Winter. I also have one of the merino wool buffs, which works great as a hat or scarf or balaclava.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I wear a skull cap or bandana underneath for two reasons. Keep sweat off my glasses and out of my eyes and to keep my hair from tangling in the helmet strap. My hair is super straight but somehow under a helmet over 4 hour ride and it manages to tangle into the strap. Not fun.

I am addicted to the bondibands. They are really light and don't give me headaches--like most headbands. I wear them all the time now, not just under my helmet. But it does keep my helmet from jostling around on rough singletrack. And it keeps the sweat out of my eyes.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    What I do is turn it inside out, then place my hand in one end of the tube, with the bottom of the buff at about my wrist. I then place my hand on my forehead, fingers towards the back of my head. With my free hand I grab the part of the tube opposite my forehead hand and pull it back over my head.
    OK, I need more coffee before I can grasp this!

I just wear my buff as a really wide headband. As someone else mentioned, I also cut mine in half because except for when it's really cold in the winter, I don't need quite that much fabric on my head. Half of one is just fine and they then last twice as long! (not that buffs wear out or anything - I think I still have every one I've ever purchased and they still look almost new).
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    Hah, yeah...it's hard to explain. Like trying to explain how to tie shoes...easier to show than tell.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    I can't wear anything under my helmet when it's hot, I don't care what my hair looks like, it's too uncomfortable.

I started putting lip balm over my eyebrows and that works to keep the sweat out of my eyes. I find it's best to apply it down past the outside of my eyes, otherwise sometimes the sweat will run into the sides of my eyes when I stop riding.
    My SO swears by gut'r. Sounds like it might be perfect for you.
    http://www.sweatgutr.com/reviews.html
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post

I just wear my buff as a really wide headband. As someone else mentioned, I also cut mine in half because except for when it's really cold in the winter, I don't need quite that much fabric on my head. Half of one is just fine and they then last twice as long! (not that buffs wear out or anything - I think I still have every one I've ever purchased and they still look almost new).
    There are several how to videos on YouTube. This my favorite, i think I'm in love with this guy.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yydanA59X0U
    (driving Miss Daisy look )
    My photoblog
    Strada Velomobile

Quote Originally Posted by limewave View Post
    I am addicted to the bondibands. They are really light and don't give me headaches--like most headbands. I wear them all the time now, not just under my helmet. But it does keep my helmet from jostling around on rough singletrack. And it keeps the sweat out of my eyes.
    You posted this on a previous thread, and I bought myself a headband and one for the SO. He hates it, which is great for me, now I have 2. These are nice. I think I don't look too terrible in them when I take my helmet off - I have the type of hair that once I put anything on it, like a helmet or a hat, I have continue to keep it covered or I scare small children.
    Lots of patterns and sayings, too.
    My photoblog
    Strada Velomobile

I like the bondibands, too. I first started wearing them for running, and wore one under my helmet in spring when it was still kind of cool outside. Haven't worn one over the summer because I didn't want to trap more heat. But, several of you mentioned that something under the helmet helps prevent stings and keeps "things" out of your hair. I like that idea. I'm getting tired of picking things out of my hair after every ride.

To answer the post:
    I do wear a bandana, 1st it was to keep the hair from looking horrible after, but it also helps my helmet be more comfortabe, especially over my forehead, a little more padding.

As for the posted by Oakleaf:

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Someone here just mentioned sticking a pantiliner to the forehead of their helmet to absorb sweat.

That used to be popular among (male) motorcycle racers. Honestly I don't know whether they still do it - whether helmet liners are more absorbent now than they used to be - or whether they just got embarrassed after people started to notice.
    2nd time in 2 days I have heard about the panty liner thing! My dad (retired and working as a golf course) told me about a bald guy he works with that puts one in his hat because he sweats to much...OMG, I laughed so hard. I could not believe a man would do this. But I guess it is more common than I thought!

K
    katluvr

I have a Buff, but actually prefer those rubber bands that "gutter" sweat away from your forehead. They're ugly as hell, but they really work!! No more sweat/sunscreen in the eyes when I stop. In the winter, I use a flannel headband that keeps sweat at bay but also keeps my ears warm.
    She's going the distance...

[COLOR="Red"]
    '14 Orbea Orca Dama, Specialized Jett
    '10 Giant Avail
    '87 Schwinn Cimarron, Brooks B17
    Trek mountain bike...don't know what year