Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Do any of you wear a hanky/other under your helmet?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I see some people do this - what are the advantages? Other than being able to take the helmet off at the end of the ride without scaring other riders...

Well, I confess to opening this thread hoping that someone would explain what in the world is a hanky... yep, I know, I could google it, I'm being lazy...
    E.'s website: www.earchphoto.com

2005 Bianchi 928C L'Una RC
    2010 BMC SLX01 racemaster
    2008 BMC TT03 Time Machine
    Campy Record and SSM Aspide naked carbon on all bikes

hanky = handkerchief. (Bandanna)

I wear a Buff when my hair is at the awkward length that I like it best (long enough to create a rats nest, but too short for a ponytail with a helmet). I also have long bangs and it helps to keep those in check.

It also can help absorb the sweat that would drip into my eyes, if I position it so it's across the top of my forehead.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Quote Originally Posted by TxDoc View Post
    Well, I confess to opening this thread hoping that someone would explain what in the world is a hanky... yep, I know, I could google it, I'm being lazy...
    Slang for handkerchief... I guess a bandana in this specific context. To the OP: to catch sweat? I use a headband instead, sometimes a cycling skull cap. Other riders never get scared. Non cyclists, on the other hand...

I started using a buff after I got my hair cut last year. It keeps my bangs off of my face. (I actually use half a buff, per recommendations from other TE peeps.)

in the winter i wear a little wool cap. in the summer yes, a bandanna. it helps with sweat, flying around hair, and protects me from bee stings!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

I wear a Buff or Headsweats cover under my helmet for EVERY ride (or something heavier that covers my ears when it's colder). Because I sweat like a horse and even with the wicking headwear I end up with sweat in my eyes.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I do this for various reasons - keeping my hair from sticking out on the sides of the helmet (which looks stupid with my hair), being able to put the helmet on easier when my hair isn't in the way, and looking not as terrible when I take the helmet of. Also I wear warmer Buffs when it's colder to keep my ears from freezing. And the Bandanas/Hankies can be washed easily and keep my sweat from running into the helmet as much.

Also, if a bug flies into one of your vents it won't actually be in your hair or as close to your scalp (assuming it's a stinging kind of bug).
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Buff for me also. It matches my Amici Veloci jersey. I cut it in half and each half is folded in half. It keeps the hair out of my face and keeps from getting helmet head. In the colder temps I wear it over my ears to them warm. It is one of the best cycling accessory I ever bought.
    2012 Specialized Amira S-Works
    2012 Vita Elite
    2011 Specialized Dolce Elite (raffle prize) - Riva Road 155
    Ralaigh Tara Mtn Bike

I wear a Halo skullcap on really hot days, only because it keeps the sun from beating down on my head AND it has a thin rubber strip underneath that keeps the sweat from rolling into my eyes. On mild days, I generally wear nothing under my helmet. On cooler days, I wear either a full cap or ear band.
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

Someone here just mentioned sticking a pantiliner to the forehead of their helmet to absorb sweat.

That used to be popular among (male) motorcycle racers. Honestly I don't know whether they still do it - whether helmet liners are more absorbent now than they used to be - or whether they just got embarrassed after people started to notice.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Another buff wearer here. Besides the advantages posted by others, it helps me to get my helmet ON. I have a ton of hair that if unruly, ends up getting all wound up in my helmet and actually hurting me. I've even had cases where the helmet didn't sit right due to my hair configuration and it hurt my forehead after a few minutes. A buff will tame all that for me.

It's also deliciously cool if soaked with water before putting it on in the summer.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

I always wear a bandana under my helmet, too. It keeps my bangs from flying around and it keeps the sweat out of my eyes.
    "Limits are a state of mind: break them before they break you."
    --Michael Cotty

In the cooler weather, I have several thicknesses of skull caps and buffs to wear under my helmet. I do this usually in temps up to 53 or so. Otherwise, I sweat, and need the vents to cool me. I don't sweat enough to have it run down my face, and if it does, I wipe it with my hand.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport