Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Hill Speed

To disable ads, please log-in.

Did anyone mention what I read here when I first started? "Smile on the hills". I have tried to do this and it helps- the explanation was that it helps you relax. Maybe it's a placebo effect, but I think it helps me.

As for being defeated by hills- I've really just had 3 or 4 that I couldn't finish by pedaling. One hill was ieast of Oakland California that on a ride with friends who live there. I made it slightly further the second time we rode it, but still just couldn't quite get to the top. Another time I got stopped was at Madera Canyon- riding on my touring bike with my panniers loaded up for a camping trip. I think it wasn't the grade but the fact that we didn't eat dinner and was bonking, but I walked for a while. (and it is steep- up to 10%). The other hill that really got me was in Ireland last summer. The directions mentioned "steep undulations" and suddenly, we descended into a little valley with a stream at the bottom. As we climbed out of the valley, I saw 15 or 16% on my Garmin and realized i was not going to be able to keep turning the pedals so I got off and walked to the top of the hill.

Kernowcyclist- 15-25% ??? For how long?

I can ride up hill for a long time (with rest stops) but I'm also super slow. I have gone up Mt. Lemmon twice already this year- climbing from 2500-8200 feet over 30 miles (with a flattish approach for 5 miles at the bottom, and some downhill near the top, but mostly climbing)... but it takes me about 5 hours. Only 1 1/2 hours coming down. So at 5-6% grades I go 5-7 mph. Slower when it gets steeper.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

This is why we should eventually meet up and ride together... sounds exactly like me. Though, I don't do well at elevation. Not sure how a ride up Mt.Lemmon would be for me. I used be sick every time I went to Flagstaff.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Crankin,
    We have a guest room now that the kids are out of the house. You're welcome any time you want to escape the Massachusetts winter.

Quote Originally Posted by azfiddle View Post
    Did anyone mention what I read here when I first started? "Smile on the hills". I have tried to do this and it helps- the explanation was that it helps you relax. Maybe it's a placebo effect, but I think it helps me.
    actually smiling can exercise and relax facial muscles too ....thinking it's also the thoughts that make the smile that can help in relaxing.

Having positive mental strategies, getting into a cadence and breathing flow, focusing on efficiency and being able to instinctually make the right shifts makes climbing easier for me. I like the challenge of a hard non-stop climb, especially ones with good mind/body/mechanical connections.
    I can see stress and discomfort causing more problems from our view of them. I know how my body works well enough that I can redefine discomfort as my muscles working hard and a necessary aspect of exploring my potential. Things like concentrating on just the next mile and form and pace can divert my attention from a negative and get me focused on efficiency and positivity rather than stress and anxiety. Some rides can be psychologically harder than others. Having thought out mental strategies before a hard ride allows me to use them when first needed and take charge of what could be a negative and tell it that it won’t deter me.

……but then i also don't have a problem with stopping to stretch and drink some water if I just feel like it.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

AZ, we might take you up on that for a couple of days. We are thinking of a late winter/early spring (March, early March) trip to Phx, more specifically Cave Creek, for some riding and hiking, some visiting in Tempe, and then down to Tucson. I will keep you informed.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Crankin- that would be great!
    I have two weeks off mid-March- March 11-24 to be specific - if your travel plans could work with that I would be "free" to ride etc. Keep me posted. You can send a message here or on facebook and I'll send you email / phone.

I hope it happens. We'll smile on the hills together!

Hopefully, it will be under 90 degrees in mid March! Last time, we hiked in Cave Creek County Park around the 8-10th of March. It was in the upper 70s to low 80s, which isn't really hot, but we were coming from 30-50 degrees at home. It was still nice and cool at night, so that helped.
    I have bad memories of my younger son's birthday parties in mid April. Always over 100 degrees. One year we had a gymnastics breakfast party in the backyard. The people came and set up the equipment at 7:30 AM, kids did the fun stuff from 8-9:00, and then we had them come inside for pancakes, cake, and presents in the AC, after that.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Had a similar thread going awhile back, but it's always a good topic to discuss.

On another thread, I mentioned that I do stand in the pedals, sometimes, even though I wasn't sure if it was considered the "correct" thing to do on a road bike. I was happy to hear that it was accepted practice. There is a knack to it and you do have to practice it a bit to gain strength, but if it hurts your knees, do NOT do it. It can put a huge amount of stress on the joint. (I mostly lock my knees and pedal with my thighs and hips.) Most of the time, I just work the gears and spin up hills, anyway. I mostly stand when I'm at the crest or taking on a small hill and don't want to mess with working the gears.

I don't worry about speed, either. Even when I'm down to 4 mph or so, it's still a lot faster than walking. (I am a slow walker.)
    Last edited by north woods gal; 07-02-2016 at 07:54 AM.