Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Lessons I have learned

To disable ads, please log-in.

I thought I might share a few thoughts from my first season back in biking:

1) Full suspension lightens the ride
    2) Fit does make a difference
    3) When clipping in: keep moving, put feet on pedals as if they were flat, then clip in. Don’t try to do it starting at a standstill. You’ll fall.
    4) When clipping out, don’t come to a stop then clip out. You’ll fall. Slow down, clip out the first foot, then put it down for balance.
    5) Don’t try to grab onto the Jeep for balance. You’ll fall.
    6) Practice on grass. It hurts to fall onto pavement or asphalt.
    7) Biking in a park that hosts big rock concerts has its perils. Watch out for idiots on the multiuse trail. Some people see you coming, take up the whole trail, and don’t move to let you pass. This seems to span age and gender. Often, the person who hasn’t moved and is still on your side of the trail is holding a cup. Full of alcohol. When the signs clearly say: no alcohol in park.
    8) Hills do get easier.
    9) Steep descents do get less terrifying.
    10) This is the most fun I have had in a very long time.
    --Nick
    2012 Santa Cruz Juliana R xc (blue)
    Vintage Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo 24 speed (red)

Lovely! Especially #10.

I live in the Pacific NW, but I WILL be at the Saratoga track tomorrow! I'll mentally wave to you.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Hey Nick, Thanks for sharing your musings. I'm sure you witnessed your "friend" do all these things? Right???
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls & looks like work" - Thomas Edison

Salsabike -- I drive past the track on the way to the park. Will be thinking of you! Enjoy the races :-)

Velocivixen - smiles, well, you won't catch me doing #7 -- I'm a teetotaler. As for the others -- that's why its called lessons learned, lol. The hard way! Keeps me learning really quickly...
    --Nick

Do you work at the park? I grew up in Albany and spent summers going to see NYC Ballet.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Hi Salsa, no, but I work near the park, for SUNY Empire State College. My ex is the director of the School of the Arts at the National Museum of Dance, and a former professional ballet dancer -- so I've been to lots of SPAC performances, smiles. I still dance at the School of the Arts, and split my leisure time between dancing and biking...
    --Nick

1. Don't travel so close to the person in front of you. Ugh....
    2. Your right, fit is HUGE. Had my stem changed and I am a happy camper.
    3. Buy the best bike you can up front.
    4. A fall from you bike will always happen when there are many people watching.
    5. Take care of skin sores immediately. Even the small ones.
    6. Never wear underwear, thongs or any other bottom under garments. Just your bike
    shorts.
    7. Carry ID with you on rides.
    8. Always take a spare tube, this protects you from the "Flat tire Gods".
    9. Enjoy your bike, don't make it a chore.
    10. Don't try and keep up, just do the best you can.
    “Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes.”.
    ~Oscar Wilde

Type One Diabetes
    currently using Medtronic MiniMed
    Revel 723 with CGMS

HAHAHA, great advice from both lists of 10! I can relate to just about all of them.
    Don't cross the river if you can swim the tide...

2011-Cannondale Synapse Alloy5 WSD with 105 and BB30!