Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Three Day Walk Against Breast Cancer

To disable ads, please log-in.

My best friend is planning to do this three-day walk next fall and wants me to either walk with her (20 miles a day, three days in a row) or else crew. I'm not sure I'll have the time to train for that and also train for a century or two next summer, so I'm thinking about crewing instead. I've heard they have a "transportation" team for the crew, and one of the jobs is to ride around on your bike making sure the walkers make the proper turns, etc. on the route. I thought this might be a good way to keep my bike training up but also be there for my friend.

Has anyone ever done the Three Day Walk, either walking or crewing? Do you know anything about crewing on a bike?

I don't really know much about "crewing" on a bike but last month I rode after dark to light the way for runners at the end of a Ironman tri. It was huge fun and incredible personal reward.

I'm planning on doing it again next year and the experience convinced me I could ride in certain areas after dark. I think your idea of crewing from the bike is most excellent.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

3-Day

I just walked in the Philadelphia 3-Day in Sept.!!! It was the most awesome, inspiring, rewarding and humbling thing I have ever taken part in. I was part of a 15 member team comprised of women and one man of all ages. We raised over $48,000. I would recommend walking for your first one, you really get more from the experience that way. And don't worry about training, I was in the same boat...I was so wrapped up with biking that I didn't do much walking (there's only so much time, right?) but I didn't have a problem at all. You're building your endurance and leg muscles when you are training for a century...and blisters aren't a problem if you listen closely to the advise they give you. Raising the money wasn't a problem either, I personally raised $4,000, just from my Christmas card list.

There is a safety crew on bikes, and I may do that next year for two reasons. I am doing two MS150s and a ACS Bike-A-Thon next year, and I'm afraid that if I hit up people for donations too much they'll start avoiding me! And I have to admit that each time I passed one of the riders I longed for my bike! But I haven't decided, being a walker was such a rewarding experience too. If you have questions, feel free to PM me, I could go on and on about my experience!

Really? You didn't find you needed to train? My friend who did it two summers ago must have spent about six months training for it and her feet were still sore. She does, however, speak as highly of the experience as you do. She said she really missed not have a walk to train for and then do this past summer.

I really didn't. I did some 5 mile walks in the spring, and one 10 mile walk in July. But I'm pretty limited on time, so whenever I did have a 2-3 hour block to do something, the bike won every time! If you are in good enough shape to do centuries, then you'll have the legs to walk. The key for me to keeping my feet happy was GOOD socks and shoes...no skimping, and start testing the different types early. I swear by Thorolos, but others prefer thinner socks like Wrightsocks. I would also slather my feet with bodyglide to cut the blister causing friction.

For me, like with any "event" walking or riding, a big part of it was mental. Once I paid my registration fee, I was committed 100%. I never let myself have doubts about making it, I just did it.