Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: SRAM power link

SRAM power link

To disable ads, please log-in.

Wooot! I took my SRAM chain off the bike for the very first time - even got this snazzy tool to help me with it since my fingers aren't so good. Been trying different kinds of lube on my Gunnar and things got a little...over lubed. So on my LBS guys advice I took it off to clean it.

It is now all nice and clean and stripped down

However.....I lost one half of the power link

So back to the LBS tomorrow to get a new one....but at least I got it apart and cleaned successfully. This is really cool as I am far from being talented at things mechanical.

Now it is time for a beer and a movie since I can't do anything further without a full power link. Good thing I wasn't planning on riding the Gunnar tomorrow!

Technically you're not supposed to re-use them anyway, although I know a lot of people do.

I've never been able to get one off without the chain tool. Not with pliers, not with two pairs of pliers, nohow.

Get two when you go to the LBS. It's good to have a spare in your seat pack in case of chain breakage.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

+1 with Oak.

Never reuse powerlink. The pins WILL COME OUT while riding!!

Cool, thanks for the tip! It is good there is much room in my Camelbak, plenty of room for the tool and a spare power link.

Oakleaf is right - SRAM's Powerlink is cannot be reused. However, I read on KMC's site that their version of the Powerlink, called the Missing Link, is reuseable. I bought a KMC Missing Link for my 10R (R stands for reuseable I think) speed chain a couple weeks ago and the package does verify that it can be reused.

Jean
    Last edited by Hi Ho Silver; 08-06-2011 at 07:42 PM. Reason: incomplete info

The Power Links my LBS sell are not from SRAM and are reusable. I thought it odd at the time they didn't sell the SRAM version, but that explains it. They also are a little costly, but that is probably from being reusable. I was quite pleased with how easily the tool worked, and glad that I am starting to learn little things bit by bit.

really? SRAM powerlinks aren't reusable? I have that style link on my mountain bike..and have re-linked it and haven't had a problem.
    2011 Specialized Dolce Elite/stock Riva
    2010 Jamis Durango 1 Femme
    2006 Diamondback Wildwood (gift from my mother-in-law, so I must keep it! It is really comfy to ride)
    1996 Raleigh M-20 (got my love for cycling going!)

Quote Originally Posted by esmorin View Post
    really? SRAM powerlinks aren't reusable? I have that style link on my mountain bike..and have re-linked it and haven't had a problem.
    SRAM 8 and 9 speed Powerlinks are reusable. SRAM 10 speed Powerlocks are not.

Quote Originally Posted by laura* View Post
    This is what my LBS has told me, they are avid mountain bikers and from what they've told me, they have all reused them. I was mistaken that they don't sell SRAM powerlinks, of course they do. They DID tell me it was better to use the tool rather than fingers to release the powerlink - though I don't have a chance of getting it off without the tool.

Quote Originally Posted by laura* View Post
    Thank you! OK...but... *sheepish*....how do I tell which I have?
    2011 Specialized Dolce Elite/stock Riva
    2010 Jamis Durango 1 Femme
    2006 Diamondback Wildwood (gift from my mother-in-law, so I must keep it! It is really comfy to ride)
    1996 Raleigh M-20 (got my love for cycling going!)

I have absolutely nothing meaningful to add to this conversation. I do want to say YOU ROCK! You did something new, used new tools, and learned a bunch to boot. How can you beat that?!
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls & looks like work" - Thomas Edison

Quote Originally Posted by esmorin View Post
    Thank you! OK...but... *sheepish*....how do I tell which I have?
    The chain width has to match the spacing between the cogs. So it's whatever your cassette is.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler