Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

NYCers -- Riverside Drive saftey

To disable ads, please log-in.

This story about a cyclist who got body slammed off his bike (which was then stolen) has been discussed on the NYCC message board.

I'm in this area all the time, and on the greenway too, which has come up on the NYCC board. I always imagined it to be reasonably safe. Obviously, crime can happen anywhere, but I do go there in winter when it's fairly deserted.

Anyone have opinions? I am so slow they wouldn't need to knock me down.
    Last edited by PamNY; 08-05-2011 at 03:35 PM.

That happened to a friend of mine in Annapolis, Maryland, in 1975.

Violent crime generally is decreasing. But we're all more connected now, so we hear about stuff that happens to people we don't know.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    That happened to a friend of mine in Annapolis, Maryland, in 1975.

Violent crime generally is decreasing. But we're all more connected now, so we hear about stuff that happens to people we don't know.
    Yes, that's true. Honestly, I was surprised by the tone of the discussion on the NYCC message board. They seem really worried (this route is heavily used by cyclists). I don't know if that's just a normal reaction to a violent crime, or if there's cause for concern. Hence my request for additional input here.

The roadies don't know it, but they are my safety net in these locations that are somewhat deserted in winter.
    Last edited by PamNY; 08-05-2011 at 08:09 PM.

Keep your eyes open, try to wait for other cyclists - travel in groups and pressure the policed to patrol the area more....

Those are all things that people around here were doing when we were having a bit of an crime wave on a popular commuting route around here. Cyclists were being stalked at the end of a tunnel where it was easy to tackle them. Bikes weren't being stolen - they were targeting commuters and taking bags hoping to get phones, wallets, computers etc.

After it happened a couple of times commuters got wise. One person posted on a local board that he noticed someone coming at him so he decided to be proactive and shoulder checked the guy before he could tackle him.... I don't think we had any more reported muggings on the trail after that...
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by PamNY View Post
    Yes, that's true. Honestly, I was surprised by the tone of the discussion on the NYCC message board. They seem really worried (this route is heavily used by cyclists). I don't know if that's just a normal reaction to a violent crime, or if there's cause for concern. Hence my request for additional input here.

The roadies don't know it, but they are my safety net in these locations that are somewhat deserted in winter.
    I think the NYCC's tone is because not too many years back there were quite a few incidents like this along that part of RSD. RSD is the best way to/from the GWB and the muggers know it. We're easy pickin's, especially since we stop at red lights now.

I'm concerned because the RSD viaduct is usually a pretty lonely place. At least that's my experience and I travel that way usually 4 times per weekend.

The NYCC President has a good relationship with that police precinct's Captain and has alerted them to this, so hopefully there will be some police presence to deter anyone thinking about stealing bikes.
    ccnyc
    2006 Serotta Concours/Terry Butterfly Ti

Quote Originally Posted by ccnyc View Post
    I think the NYCC's tone is because not too many years back there were quite a few incidents like this along that part of RSD. RSD is the best way to/from the GWB and the muggers know it. We're easy pickin's, especially since we stop at red lights now.

I'm concerned because the RSD viaduct is usually a pretty lonely place. At least that's my experience and I travel that way usually 4 times per weekend.

The NYCC President has a good relationship with that police precinct's Captain and has alerted them to this, so hopefully there will be some police presence to deter anyone thinking about stealing bikes.
    Okay, thanks, that makes sense. Yes, that is a lonely place -- though the broken glass suggests it is popular with those who wish to break into cars.

Let's hope the cops pay attention.

Keep your wits about you at the bottom of the ramp of the GWB!

1:30 pm today there was a group of teen boys (5 of them) hanging out at the bottom of the ramp, right at the 90 degree turn. Nothing happened, but they were blocking access, and really why is anyone hanging out there? I was coming down the ramp and when I saw them I got off my bike, near the gate at the bottom, and walked through the turn. My DH had stopped just past them with his helmet off (to use as a weapon) in case they tried anything. Made me feel very uneasy in light of the incident on RSD. Sigh. All I want to do is ride my bike.
    ccnyc
    2006 Serotta Concours/Terry Butterfly Ti

Yikes, that is a bit scary. No reason that I can think of to be hanging out there.
    Glad nothing happened.