Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bike building

bike building

To disable ads, please log-in.

Anyone built up thier own bike? Any suggestions on great sites or books? I have someone helping me, but I would like to be a part of it, not just stand there during the process.

Hi Waterlilli,

What bike did you end up getting? Weren't you looking for one around December or so? Its always fun too hear what everyone ends up with

Zinn and the Art of mountain/road bike maintenance is excellent. If you're building a mountain bike, the CD Break it, Fix it, Ride it, is a good help too. It has better pictures than the book but sometimes its hard to get around the software. I haven't yet built a bike but when I get my new frame I want to see what's going on and try to do most of it myself with someone assisting. It should be fun!

Good Luck!
    Kristina

I've unbuilt and rebuilt a lot, the way of the mountain biker... The most important thing is to have the correct tools, and a buddy familiar with them to teach how they're used. Bike tools are weird, and highly specialized. No book is the same as doing it, and good on you for wanting to learn !
    Putting in headsets and bottom brackets is the tricky bit 'cause the tools are so odd. A high end sealed headset is the toughest part, at least for me, so don't be afraid to bail if you get confused. It's all in the minor adjustments. If whoever is helping you is a good mechanic though, you're in for a real treat. We girls get to ask the dumb questions, don't pass up the chance to learn. A lot of a good bike build is in the hand of the mechanic- a master who does this all day and then rides, so if things aren't totally copacetic when you're finished don't be ashamed to have somebody fine tune it. ( And harrass them with questions if you can) You mess up once or twice along the way. As long as you don't force anything and break it, you should be fine.
    You go girl. Bond with the bike.

missliz

Thumbs up

i second liz. go for it. i want to hear all about it.

I am excited!

I am really excited about it, I want to learn to do more on my bike rather than rely on my husband, he always fixes things on my bike. I have lots of help and my brother has all the tools and builds bikes all the time. I just ordered the frame and it will take 3-4 weeks, so I have time to educate myself a bit. I am still thinking about the parts, I know most of what I want. Ride safe.

I sure do wish I had someone to learn from! I really wanted to build up my frame myself, aside from the headset and BB, but ended up taking it to the LBS. I was hoping to hang around and watch but that didn't work out.

I'm getting ready to put on a bashguard so, that should be fun! I've changed my pedals (from 959s to Time Z's), stems and handlebar myself but as far as cable routing and hydraulic brakes go, I'm out of the loop.

You've got some time to read up on what you'll be doing so that'll really help. The Specialized website puts up chapters of the Barnett manual and that's very good, so is the ParkTools website.

What frame did you get? What is your build spec going to be ? It sounds like you'll have a ton of fun with building it!

Cheers,
    Kristina

I used to harrass Adam with questions- He owns my LBS and taught me some aewsome stuff. A lot of it I learned by doing, but he would tell me what tools I needed and wasn't all snide about putting my screwups right. He'd also tune the bike to pro race spec- I would never have learned to set up two finger braking if he hadn't done it first so I would know there was a higher standard. When I lived in another city for two years and had to trade at shops where they don't let me in the mechanics room I was shocked, I'd always been able to talk to the mechanic and learn stuff. How boy snotty of them.
    So what are the new toys? Tell all, please.

missliiz

Two finger braking? Am I missing something? I thought my brake levers came setup for 2-finger braking!

That is soooo cool that you learned yourself that way! I am really jealous!

WEll, my new ride, is (giggles in delight) a 15" metallic silver Turner XCE with a Romic. Easton Monkeylite SL bar, Easton EA70 seatpost, FSA stem (possibly a Race Face Deus soon), Hayes Hydraulics, Mavic CrossRocs, Maxxis Larsen TT tires, and Wylder Callisto saddle (I might be switching that out too). Am I missing anything?

I've only had two rides on it but so far it blows the pants off anything i've ridden before! Talk about perfect balance!

Cheers,
    Kristina

Why are you thinking of switching out the Callisto? I am curious, because I have the Duluge and wanted to put a Callisto on my new ride. I am going with XT parts and an XTR derallier(spell?) I putting Wylder stem, bars and grips and seat. Brakes I have not decided, anyone know about the Hayes Comp vs. the mag? So much fun!!!!

Oh yeah, headset? Opinions please is Chris King really the one and only? I do love the Rasta color (he he)

The Callisto is a great saddle, especially for climbing but I just can't seem to get it to fit right. I've tried tilting up , down, forwards and backwards and just can't seem to find the sweet spot. Its a perfect length and width though. I just wish it was a comfy as a Butterfly or the butterfly wasn't so wide in the back.

As fas as they Hayes go, I don't know what to telly you other than I believe the Comp is the Hydraulic version and the HFX mag is the mechanical one. Have you ever checked out MTbr.com? They specifically have a brake forum and i bet if you asked over there, you'd get a lot of great responses. Oh and Ridemonkey.com has a lot of great info too.

Ah, Chris King! I was so tempted to get the Rasta! Then seriously considered red but since I have a Cane Creek S-2 which is working perfectly fine, I figured it wasn't worth spending another $100.

So, what frame did you get?! You still haven't told us!

Oh, by the way, I forgot to mention, I'm using SRAM X.0 shifters and der with an XT front der.. Got a candy red Manitou Black Super Air fork. Very nice looking bike, I might add

I decided (after looking at a million bikes) on a Santa Cruz Juliana! It fits me perfect. I am building this one up as cross country and will get one for downhilling. It is polished with balck swingarm.

That's going to be nice looking!

You downhill, too! That sounds like a blast! I'd love to try doing that but everything is so far away from where I live its not really worth the time getting there. Maybe some day though.

How much longer until you get your frame?

Yes, Chris King is the one and only- and I have the red one, It's the best ,of course. Rasta shmasta. We go all rasta-fried after the ride, girls.
    When I was refering to two finger braking I wasn't referring to levers, but to the difference between brakes, and brakes set so sweetly that you can keep the thumb and forefinger on the shifters and still gently finesse the pads with the middle and ring fingers- for miles. Did you ever have the days ride when you realized you'd become quadraped, you now rode with all four limbs and had total control? True two finger brake set up is part of that, subtle speed control and constant shifting available. No slop in the brakes at all. I could set up cantis that well, but can't for the life of me figure out V monsters.
    Fortunately the LBR has a new Mt bike magician who can tune those puppies to the standard I want, "cause I HATED v brakes when I first got them. They were lame. Still thinking about getting some Avid cantis if I can find them, but maybe I'm getting to be a retrogrouch. But then I'd need another bike 'cause I always wanted hydraulics, the cops all have 'em and love 'em, and then I need a disc bike for all the mucky swampy stuff down here- hate to waste a t shirt to clean rims to get home safe... So many toys, so little time.
    So I've been out of the loop while I was hurt- what's the Callisto? Who makes it? I'm still riding my '95 Zaskar hardtail, probably will be buried with it (love that bike) but she needs fashionable new goodies every year- and I need to change saddle shapes. Enlighten me?

missliz

check out the Callisto and other great stuff!
    http://wylder.com/components.htm

I would not consider myself a downhiller yet. I do some downhill, but always whimp out at the race and watch my hubby. I am getting a pass to Whistler this summer. Fun Fun