Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

If muscle weighs more than fat...

To disable ads, please log-in.

I musta been pretty fat when I started!

Just a few months into this (and not even hard core riding, really) and I've gained 4 pounds BUT my clothes not only still fit they may even be slightly looser.

I was thinking that "I don't want to lose pounds so much as firm up" and now I've GAINED. Grrr. OK, I want to go back to the weight I was but firm up.

The number on the scale is just that, a number....how you look and feel is more important. If your clothes still fit well, then you didn't gain inches anywhere and you must have built muscle. Muscle is good

Accept it as a badge of honor

It always makes me laugh when people are shocked at what I really weigh. As in, the number is always much higher than they expected from looking at me. Alllll muscle.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

When my mom was young she was a professional dancer off Broadway. She would sometimes amuse herself at "Guess Your Weight" carnival booths - she said she won the prize every single time.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

A pound of muscle weighs exactly the same as a pound of fat. Muscle however is more dense, therefore when you build lean body mass you can reduce your size and weigh more.

Quote Originally Posted by jessmarimba View Post
    It always makes me laugh when people are shocked at what I really weigh. As in, the number is always much higher than they expected from looking at me. Alllll muscle.
    Same here. I'm ~20 pounds heavier than what's commonly accepted for my height and build. I have so much fun with the nurses and medical assistants at my various doctors' offices

I weigh 15 pounds more than I did before I started cycling. My waistline is so much nicer than it used to be. My thighs have definition. I admit the scale freaks me out but even my doctor said " you're perfect"
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

A friend of mine is losing weight/ gaining fitness and I'm encouraging her to use metrics other than weight, body fat, and circumferences. Like resting HR, and HR after 10 minutes on the treadmill at 2.5 mph.

I should probably take my own advice. I could stand to lose a little weight but more importantly I should monitor my fitness, and if I start to lose fitness, take steps (or pedals) to fix that.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

OK, I just have to brag a little. My recent bloodwork showed that my HDL is higher than my LDL. My doc says I have the highest HDL(good cholesterol) he's ever seen in any of his patients. He told another doc about it who was mad because someone had bested him!

Not all who wander are lost

beccaB, that's great, congrats!
    My company was offering free cholesterol checks and when the nurse got my results she said "you're a breath of fresh air, your numbers are the best I've seen today" I looked at the others, 90% of them were younger than me.
    Woohoo!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Yep, I get the same thing about my HDL/LDL ratio and numbers. But my total is still a little above 200. I've been told numerous times not to worry and that my HDL is one of the best he or she has seen.
    Most people think I weigh a lot less than I do, too.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Funny, I said this to my husband last night. In three weeks I have gained two pounds. Lovely.... I am going to start standing backwards on the scale when I go to the doctor. I don't want to know anymore.

Everyone always calls me trim. I look at the scale and just laugh. My weight is always under estimated also.
    “Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes.”.
    ~Oscar Wilde

Type One Diabetes
    currently using Medtronic MiniMed
    Revel 723 with CGMS

Quote Originally Posted by RubyTuesday View Post
    Funny, I said this to my husband last night. In three weeks I have gained two pounds. Lovely.... I am going to start standing backwards on the scale when I go to the doctor. I don't want to know anymore.

Everyone always calls me trim. I look at the scale and just laugh. My weight is always under estimated also.
    I always stand backwards on the scale at the dr.'s office and make sure they don't say the number out loud. I'd rather live in my fantasy world
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

A friend of mine was training for an Ironman Triathlon and was in awesome shape. She went into the doctor and was weighed. Her weight was well above what it should be, because she was all muscle. The doctor told her to lose weight! She had very little fat on her, but the doctor couldn't see beyond the BMI. She changed doctor.

Of course, me on the other hand. I'd like to think I'm 235 pounds of muscle, but my belly tells me otherwise...

But I'm down about 10 pounds this summer, but my waist and arms are considerably smaller than they were, so I know there is some muscle building happening.