Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    To some degree, yes. A new stem, a seatpost with a different setback, and a variety of other tweaks can make a difference. How much of a difference it makes depends.
    Yup. But it's always better to have the geometry that meets your needs/wants, THEN make minor tweaks. It's one reason I "upgraded" to the SuperSix after a year on the Synapse. The Synapse was a nice bike, but it was more relaxed/upright than what I quickly discovered I really wanted...and the aluminum was killing me on our roads...and I wasn't thrilled with Shimano and wanted to change over to SRAM. So it made sense to start over from scratch.

We have a shop near us that is big and impersonal and very aggressive. Then we have OUR LBS an hour away...we go there and eat cookies and hang out. No pressure. Perhaps I'd prefer a Trek or Specialized or Giant...but those aren't brands our LBS carries. That relationship with a great shop is (in my mind) perhaps AS important as the perfect frame. 'Cause the great shop will help you make those tweaks, not just desperately get you on whatever they have in stock and push you out the door. It's all about service after the sale.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    Yup. But it's always better to have the geometry that meets your needs/wants, THEN make minor tweaks. It's one reason I "upgraded" to the SuperSix after a year on the Synapse. The Synapse was a nice bike, but it was more relaxed/upright than what I quickly discovered I really wanted...and the aluminum was killing me on our roads...and I wasn't thrilled with Shimano and wanted to change over to SRAM. So it made sense to start over from scratch.

We have a shop near us that is big and impersonal and very aggressive. Then we have OUR LBS an hour away...we go there and eat cookies and hang out. No pressure. Perhaps I'd prefer a Trek or Specialized or Giant...but those aren't brands our LBS carries. That relationship with a great shop is (in my mind) perhaps AS important as the perfect frame. 'Cause the great shop will help you make those tweaks, not just desperately get you on whatever they have in stock and push you out the door. It's all about service after the sale.
    I agree completely. OP, I'd exhaust your other options and leave the Trek unless nothing else works.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I looked at the Cervelo RS today but my LBS said even the smallest RS will be too big for me. (My legs are quite short, I guess)

I hope I get a chance to try out the SuperSix, and it'll probably come done to either that or the Amira...

Quote Originally Posted by Susi View Post
    I looked at the Cervelo RS today but my LBS said even the smallest RS will be too big for me. (My legs are quite short, I guess)
    Darn, that's a bummer. I had been thinking that maybe my N+1 bike should be a Cervelo, too (my LBS also carries Cervelo). But if your legs are too short, then mine probably are, as well.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Darn, that's a bummer. I had been thinking that maybe my N+1 bike should be a Cervelo, too (my LBS also carries Cervelo). But if your legs are too short, then mine probably are, as well.
    It might still work for you. I'm just under 5'5" and ride a 51 Cervelo S3. Love that bike! It is fast.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

My inseam was measured today, and they said it's 73.5 cm... I just checked out the specs for the 48 SuperSix, and the standover is 74cm. Does that mean I can't even go with the 48?? There's no way ANY LBS will carry the 44 SuperSix. (I would have to order it and would be required to buy it then. I'm afraid that the 44 will be too small. I tried a Cannondale Synapse 44 and it felt too cramped)

The standover height for the smallest Cervelo RS (with 650 wheels) is 73.2 cm... That IS in deed to big, right?

Based on those measurements, maybe I will HAVE to go with the Amira or Madone... They look like the perfect bikes for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Susi View Post
    My inseam was measured today, and they said it's 73.5 cm... I just checked out the specs for the 48 SuperSix, and the standover is 74cm. Does that mean I can't even go with the 48?? There's no way ANY LBS will carry the 44 SuperSix. (I would have to order it and would be required to buy it then. I'm afraid that the 44 will be too small. I tried a Cannondale Synapse 44 and it felt too cramped)
    Maybe not. My 48cm Synapse was noticeably shorter-reach than my 48cm SuperSix. I think I almost would have been comfier on a larger Synapse. So the 44cm might really be perfect (I looked at the geometry and the women's SuperSix has a half cm longer top tube than the Synapse, plus I think the seat angle would have you angled back a bit more, IIRC). The only downside is that you would be limited to a women's frame and not have the choice of any groups other than Shimano. But that's still a sweet ride.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

I should add that I never actually rode either of my bikes before ordering. I really trust my fitter, though. Are you sure that you will be required to purchase a bike if they order it?
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

I understand your pain--I take a bike size (52-54cm WSD) that LBSes tend not to stock. Could you ask the shop to contact the area representative from the company to see if they have one they could borrow? My LBS offered to do that for me.

I just compared the 44 SuperSix with the Specialized Amira 48 (which fits perfectly!)

The measurements are almost identical (with some millimeters difference here and there)… The only “significant” difference is the head-tube angle: Amira 71.25 degree vs. SuperSix 70.5 (same as Madone) – what does this small difference mean??

The Amira’s top tube is almost 1cm longer than the Madone’s. Does that mean the Amira puts me in a more aggressive position (especially with a longer torso)?

Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to find the right bike for me, and I just can’t tell by riding with it in the parking lot…

I asked my LBS if they can get a small size for me, but they say I would HAVE to purchase it, because they usually don't have any demand for the small sizes

The Amira's a racing bike. The Madone (H3?) is designed to be slightly more relaxed. For what you want to do, I'd be looking at the Amira more than the Madone, especially if you say it fits perfectly.

Those tiny differences can make a lot of difference in comfort. Unless you've got a fantastic fitter, the only way to really know is to ride them.
    And yes, I have this problem with some shops. Not a lot of demand for a 54cm WSD bike, apparently. I'm not going to buy something without trying it out, but if I have to buy it to try it out, no thanks!

I just asked my hubby how much difference the angle measurements would make ('cause he's an Engineer and I suck at Math). He said really those bikes are so similar that you'd probably not notice a huge difference either way...and to go with the shop that treats you best. Truly, as long as you are on the right size a good shop can do all sorts of tweaks to dial-in your fit. They'll measure you and put the appropriate length stem on, maybe swap out some head spacers, move the saddle up and down, fore and aft, etc. And most good shops will continue to do minor tweaks as-needed for a few months after you buy your bike--I know mine has done this. I started with an 80mm stem and moved to a 100mm stem after a few rides. No charge. I think the 2nd stem was even a grade better than the original stem.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

I just asked my hubby how much difference the angle measurements would make ('cause he's an Engineer and I suck at Math). He said really those bikes are so similar that you'd probably not notice a huge difference either way...and to go with the shop that treats you best. Truly, as long as you are on the right size a good shop can do all sorts of tweaks to dial-in your fit. They'll measure you and put the appropriate length stem on, maybe swap out some head spacers, move the saddle up and down, fore and aft, etc. And most good shops will continue to do minor tweaks as-needed for a few months after you buy your bike--I know mine has done this. I started with an 80mm stem and moved to a 100mm stem after a few rides. No charge. I think the 2nd stem was even a grade better than the original stem.
    We have a bike store 1 hour away (in Austin), which has both Trek and Specialized I was there yesterday and test rode the Amira and Madone. The guy I talked to was leaning towards the Amira (because he has a Specialized himself)... Overall it is a great store with awesome reviews... Maybe I have to go there again and have the guys take some pictures with me on the bikes so I have a comparison. Like I said, they both felt great (in the parking lot)

The smallest Madone 4.7 men model has a H2 fit, and 70.7 standover height (shorter than Amira 48). Maybe I should try that?! (It'll come with a longer top tube and might put me in the right "racing" position?)

On a side note: the 2011 Madone 4.7 is blue - blue is NOT my color at all... Besides that, it'll take another 2-3 months to get a new 2012 Madone (and I don't even know the available colors yet). I would prefer riding my bike ASAP though. So maybe I'll have to go with my gut feeling and order a 2012 Amira

Ooh, that's a great idea to have them take photos. It's really helpful to be able to see how you look on a bike (shops should have big full-wall mirrors, perhaps...?). Sometimes how you feel on a bike and what you look like are 2 different things.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

I tried the Amira again today, (in 48 and 51) and the my LBS guys took a lot of time to make some adjustments to get me in a more aggressive position. Overall it felt really good, and I would even get the 2011 model 300-400 bucks cheaper. But, why does it have to be BLUE?? I am not a blue person, whatsoever... I know it's really bad to choose (or not choose) a bike based on its color, but if I spend so much money on a new bike, I really want to look at it and start drooling
    They were kind enough to order me the 49 Tarmac, and that is one sexy looking bike!! (black with red) It's the 2011 model, and I would get it cheaper as well... Since my torso is "longer", it might actually fit better, with less adjustments, than the Amira. It's gonna be in next week.
    The only thing that worries me is that the seat tube length will be 1cm longer on the Tarmac, and the saddle is already pretty far down on the Amira...

If the Tarmac won't work, I will most likely go ahead and order a 2012 Amira. It still has blue in it, but the majority of the bike is carbon black with some white... It's gonna be worth it to me to pay 300 bucks extra to avoid a completely blue bike.