Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

SI Turbomatic, SSM Aspide Glamour, Ruby...T-shaped Saddle Chat HERE!

To disable ads, please log-in.

OK, so depending upon how I measure my sits I get anywhere from 125-135mm (hard to tell, since my butt feels like it's covered in a layer of memory foam )...so maybe something in the 155mm neighborhood wouldn't be too wide.

Considering the above 3 saddles to replace my Jett 143 (which I would move to my cyclocross bike, since I wont be "in the saddle" as much on that frame, anyhow). I notice the Glamour lacks a cut-out...do those who use this saddle miss it? I'm pretty sure I need a cut-out, but found that the edges of said cut-out sometimes hit me wrong...some rides my saddle feels wonderful, other rides not-so-much (mostly I experience pinching of labia and relatively minor pressure). It definitely seemed to be a better fit on my previous bike, which had me more upright and was a little scrunched through the cockpit. Now I like riding in the drops a lot more (I can breathe!), but riding along in the hoods sometimes leaves something to be desired on longer rides.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I'm like you, Kirsten...in that I sometimes get that "pinching" of the labia on the cutout of my Ruby. Which is why I opted to try out the Affinity RXL, which I ended up returning today. I loved riding in the drops on the Affinity, because it offers a tad bit more padding on the nose over the Ruby. Riding in my drops on the Ruby is pretty painful (for me), because there is next to nothing in the way of padding on that nose. I can generally only last about a minute or two before I have to come back up on the hoods. On the Affinity, I could stay in the drops for a good 5 minutes...woo-hoo! BUT...after 400 miles of testing, my sit bones were just not happy on the Affinity...thus, the reason for returning it. Up next on my list...the SI Turbomatic.

Linda
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

It's good to know that there are others having the same issues and looking at some of the other options. Right now the Turbomatic and Glamour Arrowhead look sorta appealing. Just tougher to find. I'd prefer a white saddle since, as DH pointed out, when we do our century in Death Valley a black saddle will get VERY hot during the periods when we're stopped and the sun's beating down on the saddle. Don't want to set my butt on a stovetop!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

I didn't miss not having a cut out on the Glamour Aspide, but be forewarned: that thing is rock hard! I like a firm saddle (Selle Italia SLR Lady), but this thing was ridiculous. I like the Glamour a lot on my singlespeed mountain bike, but it was just too hard for road rides longer than 3 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    I didn't miss not having a cut out on the Glamour Aspide, but be forewarned: that thing is rock hard! I like a firm saddle (Selle Italia SLR Lady), but this thing was ridiculous. I like the Glamour a lot on my singlespeed mountain bike, but it was just too hard for road rides longer than 3 hours.
    Are you able to compare these to the Jett & Ruby in terms of firmness? This is something that's breaking my heart about the Fizik Arione Donna that didn't work for my anatomy--the cushion was perfectly in-between the Jett and Ruby...just perfect to me.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

I just had DH help me measure my sit bones, again...and he got the same # that I get, roughly...about 130mm.

Which puts me pretty borderline on Specialized's chart for the 143 or 155. I am tempted to stay with Specialized, but go up a size. I seem to recall the suggestion a while back that my crookedness on the saddle could be due to my saddle being a hair too narrow, too--which makes sense.

So if I stay with Specialized...do I stay with the Jett, or try Ruby? I've mostly really liked my Jett and have done 3 centuries with that saddle. I tried someone's Ruby 143 last Summer and my sit bones were pretty angry after 10 miles, or so. I have a 150 miler coming up in 3 weeks, so I'm pretty antsy to find a better solution before that. Hoping to do another century in a week, too.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    Are you able to compare these to the Jett & Ruby in terms of firmness? This is something that's breaking my heart about the Fizik Arione Donna that didn't work for my anatomy--the cushion was perfectly in-between the Jett and Ruby...just perfect to me.
    Unfortunately, no, not with any credibility. I sat on both a Jett and a Ruby at a LBS and was looking for a secondhand Ruby to try. Someone else recommended that SLR Lady as a similar saddle to the Ruby and one popped up for sale soon thereafter.

I just had DH help me measure my sit bones, again...and he got the same # that I get, roughly...about 130mm.

Which puts me pretty borderline on Specialized's chart for the 143 or 155. I am tempted to stay with Specialized, but go up a size. I seem to recall the suggestion a while back that my crookedness on the saddle could be due to my saddle being a hair too narrow, too--which makes sense.

So if I stay with Specialized...do I stay with the Jett, or try Ruby? I've mostly really liked my Jett and have done 3 centuries with that saddle. I tried someone's Ruby 143 last Summer and my sit bones were pretty angry after 10 miles, or so. I have a 150 miler coming up in 3 weeks, so I'm pretty antsy to find a better solution before that. Hoping to do another century in a week, too.
    If you mostly like the Jett and the Ruby was painful, I would think it would make sense to try the wider Jett.

I know everyone else on this forum loves firm saddles, but personally I find them to be torture. I need a little bit of padding under my sit bones. It's not necessarily a bad thing.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I'm leaning towards the Ruby for a couple of reasons, though. I suspect my sit bones discomfort on that borrowed Ruby were due to it being too narrow, so the cushiest parts of the saddle weren't actually under my sits. It was also an older saddle with plenty of miles logged. And the 2011 Rubys (rubies? heh) apparently have a bit more of the gel padding compared to the previous versions. I also didn't have nearly the miles on my rear that I have now. Even my Jett sometimes gave me sit bone discomfort during the first half of last Summer. This year it never hurts.

And I've felt for a long while that my Jett is maybe a little too soft. I've been suspicious that I sink into that padding just a bit too much...and we all know what the result of a too-soft saddle is on our privates. If I go with the Ruby and decide it's just too firm, I always know I can happily go back to the Jett and use the Ruby on my cyclocross bike, since the time on saddle during those races and rides will be very minimal.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

I just got out my slightly used SSM Glamour Aspide to check and the padding is definitely firmer than the Donna. It's just a little wider at the widest point and shorter overall (because the Donna ends in sort of a point in back) but the taper from the widest part to the nose is pretty similar. The channel is slightly more pronounced at the nose end of the Donna. The SSM GA flexes side to side quite readily. I tried it pretty early on after I took up cycling and felt too much pressure up front. It's a nice enough saddle that I thought should try it again after I gained some more experience. I know my core strength is much improved so maybe I will one of these days.

I have a feeling the Glamour is similar to the Ruby in terms of firmness...maybe even moreso, from some things I've read.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

I have a feeling the Glamour is similar to the Ruby in terms of firmness...maybe even moreso, from some things I've read.
    In my very unscientific opinion, it's harder/less padded. I specifically went saddle-hunting at the Specialized dealer because my sit bones ached at the 3-hour mark. The fact that I was ready to buy a Ruby makes me think that the Ruby had slightly more padding, but it was dense, supportive cushion, not squishy "migrate into your bits" cushion.

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    In my very unscientific opinion, it's harder/less padded. I specifically went saddle-hunting at the Specialized dealer because my sit bones ached at the 3-hour mark. The fact that I was ready to buy a Ruby makes me think that the Ruby had slightly more padding, but it was dense, supportive cushion, not squishy "migrate into your bits" cushion.
    That's exactly what I'm looking for. I really liked the cushion on that Arione Donna (a bit firmer/thinner than the Jett)...I'd love to see how a wider version of that would work for me. The existing one is 147...I think even 155 would be good. I think because of the shape of it, the effective width was less than the 143 Jett, at least under my butt. My guess is it would work well for the women who fall on the smaller end of the 143 size chart.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

This is just the thread I needed. I am riding a Ruby right now with a Jett saddle. While it feels comfortable when I first start to ride, by the end of 15 miles I am moving around on the saddle to get comfortable. I have solved some of my issue with Hoo Haa Ride Glide, but my sit bones were sore last night after my ride. Without getting too graphic....ok going to be hard not to be too graphic when you are talking about "bits", but I found them tingly sore at the end of the ride. I often feel I need to shift in my seat because I feel a bit "splayed" and need to shift to close the gap. Told you this was going to be graphic....sorry. So I am wondering if I should try a seat with no gap. I definitely want one that is a bit squishy, I think. Why do people here like the harder seats?

I am having a hard time measuring my sit bones. I tried this morning using some of the tactics you mentioned, but I am off a lot at each measuring. I came up with 127 once and 139 the next time. Is there anyone technology that can measure sit bones?

I am new to riding, so maybe some of my issues are just newbie issues and I need to toughen up.

Gawd, I never thought I would be online talking about this stuff.
    “Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes.”.
    ~Oscar Wilde

Type One Diabetes
    currently using Medtronic MiniMed
    Revel 723 with CGMS

RT, I wonder if you're suffering the "too-narrow-saddle blues," too. If you're measuring somewhere between 127-139 I suspect that maybe you also need to move up to the 155.

As far as firm saddles go...when I first started riding my Jett made my sit-bones feel enraged. With time your sit bones will adapt and your rear will toughen and you won't have those discomforts. After my last 2 century rides my sit bones were about the only part of me that didn't hurt.

With a firmer saddle your weight is borne by your sitbones. If you're on a saddle with too much padding, your sitbones can have a tendency to sink-in, then the softer foam or gel padding can be displaced and jam itself into your soft tissues. Better to have some sit bone discomfort than pressure and chafing on your privates.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3