Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Oh wait! I got this statement confused with nose-steering...
    Ha!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by nscrbug View Post
    So what model year Ruby/Jett are we talking about in regards to the shortened nose on the Ruby? I have a Ruby that has that goofy silver plastic tip on it. Never understood the purpose of that, and wish it were not there. Is this the Ruby version that you all are referring to? Or is it a newer version? I do notice that the nose on my Ruby has so very little padding, that it almost hurts to go into the drops for that reason. I'm hoping the Turbomatic Gel Flow will alleviate some of that.
    2010 Jett, 2011 Ruby (without the plastic tabs). Yeah, the Ruby is not as comfy in the drops as the Jett...partly because the nose is firmer, but also because I really notice the inner backs of my thighs whacking the saddle, because it's a little too pear-shaped for me.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Well...my Turbomatic arrived today!!! Upon comparing it to the Ruby (155), it does indeed appear to be more T-shaped. I can definitely notice that there is a lot LESS saddle on the Turbo compared to the Ruby, right at the "transition" area. I'm a tad bit concerned that there is less real estate for my butt to sit on, but I haven't even installed it yet so I guess I'll save my official "review" until after I've had a chance to ride on it.
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

Just wanted to share this experience I had today on my Ruby. I rode to REI today to do some shopping. It's 32 mi roundtrip to the Denver flagship store from my house. We were on bike trails the entire way, flat terrain with some underpasses. On the way to REI we were averaging 15-16 mph so no problems. On the way back my SO dropped our speed to around 13 mph and all the problems that have been reported here started happening in a big way.

My Ruby has 4,000 miles on it and I have a new one waiting to replace it so I started wondering if it was time, then, I remembered we had this conversation before. My SO is a masher and I'm a spinner. I've never been able to match my spin to his mashing. I was riding behind him and doing a lot of coasting. If I slowed down to let him get ahead he would slow down when I caught him. Besides hurting I was getting frustrated with his inconsistency.

We stopped briefly so I mentioned how uncomfortable I was then took off ahead of him. Wow, what a difference, once I was able to get my spin up to normal everything calmed down. The last 7 miles were heaven.

The point of all this is, at least for me, is the higher I keep my RPM's the happier I am on my Ruby. My theory is that a higher spin lifts me slightly off the saddle so that sensitive areas don't get irritation from the saddle.
    Last edited by Kathi; 08-09-2011 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Some pictures of the Turbo would be great. Especially a side-by-side top view of the Turbo and the Ruby.
    *thumbs-up*
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Well this shows the Turbomatic, including a top-down view.

http://www.wekeepyoucycling.com/en/p...am-saddle.aspx

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Rode on the SI Turbomatic this evening. Around 25 miles. This is a small saddle. It might be too narrow for my 130mm sit bones. I do love how T-shaped this saddle is. I was using the Specialized Jett before the Turbomatic. As with the Jett I have a hard time finding where my sit bones should be. The Turbomatic is a slippery saddle, initially I was all over the place. The saddle is quite firm. No soft tissue issues though I was very aware of my sit bones after 20 miles or so. I keep thinking I might need a wider saddle that is this T-shaped.
    Last edited by SarahMN; 08-10-2011 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahMN View Post
    I keep thinking I might need a wider saddle that is this T-shaped.
    Could it be because it's relatively domed? I wonder if the SSM Glamour Arrowhead would work better? It's about the same width, but the photos I've seen have it looking flatter.

Hmmm...I really hope the Turbomatic is wide enough for me. My Jett 143 was too narrow and I also have sit-bones in the 130 range.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    Could it be because it's relatively domed? I wonder if the SSM Glamour Arrowhead would work better? It's about the same width, but the photos I've seen have it looking flatter.

Hmmm...I really hope the Turbomatic is wide enough for me. My Jett 143 was too narrow and I also have sit-bones in the 130 range.
    I will be interested in what you think of the SI Turbomatic. I might look at the SSM glamour Arrowhead, though may go back to the Jett.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I too, think that the Turbo looks small in comparison to the Ruby (155). It might only be 2cm, but still. I haven't ridden it yet (work getting in the way) but plan to give it a good test this weekend. I'm cautiously optimistic...but the sizing does have me a bit concerned. I'm afraid that if this saddle doesn't work for me, I'll have no choice but to stick with the Ruby. The SSM Glamour Arrowhead's cut-out is way too small for me...unless that has changed recently.

Question: If the Toupe is bothering my soft tissue and causing chaffing on the creases of my legs, do you think the Ruby and Jett will too? How similar are these saddles?
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bluebug32 View Post
    Question: If the Toupe is bothering my soft tissue and causing chaffing on the creases of my legs, do you think the Ruby and Jett will too? How similar are these saddles?
    Well, I can only speak for the Toupe and Ruby, as I have both of those. IMO, they are quite similar...with the Toupe being a smidge firmer with slightly less padding overall. But the general shape is nearly the same, with maybe a slight exception in regards to the cut-out size and placement. FWIW, I have both in the 155 size. The Toupe is on my "backup bike", and I must confess...that of the two saddles, I much prefer the Ruby for the extra bit of padding as I also have gotten tender soft tissue while on the Toupe. However, I haven't really experienced any chaffing issues.

Yay, my saddle should be here tomorrow! I can't wait to see how it works...I hope it's a good fit. I don't know what my next move would be if it's not.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

zz and all, have been watching this thread for clues and progress since i am also on the hunt for a saddle. it's been fascinating.

prior to watching this thread i was thinking about these 2 saddles which if the turbomatic (does that not make anyone giggle.. sounds like saddle from a bugs bunny or road runner episode) doesn't work maybe you could try?

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/pr...07.3034.0.html

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/pr...06.3034.0.html

they're sold by competitive cyclist and come with their 60 no questions asked return policy.

only thing is is that they're both only 141 wide i think..
    Push the pedal down watch the world around fly by us

Yeah, I would LOVE to try a Prologo, but they are all narrow, even the women's. My bike actually came with a Prologo. I gave it to my hubby and it's his favorite saddle ever! He's going to start looking for replacements on eBay, since they are not cheap.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3