Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 166
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West MI
    Posts
    4,259

    To disable ads, please log-in.

    Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    If you shop for saddles a la e-bay in winter, the prices are much lower.

    I purchased a Specialized Toupe 155 there for 65 dollars. The same models go for over 100 this time of year.
    That's kind of what I figured. Now that I know the size is right I don't need to have that ability to send it back to Specialized in 30 days.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious


    '11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West MI
    Posts
    4,259
    Hrmmm...so I think I'm running into the 155 Ruby being maybe not quite t-shaped enough. The transition of the 155 Ruby vs. the 143 in the Jett make them look pretty dissimilar. It's not so bad when I'm on the hoods, but in the drops I am definitely feeling sorta tender in that zone where my inner butt-cheek meets the back of my thigh.

    So I think I'm back to considering the SSM Glamour Arrowhead or SI Turbomatic...*sigh* Which one was softer/firmer of the two?
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious


    '11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Canberra Australia
    Posts
    83
    You don't want to try the Jett in a 155? You might find that the shape of the Jett is better than the Ruby.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    4,632
    Zoom-zoom, I'm in roughly the same SB range you are (125 (LBS-measured)-130 (me)), and I'm currently on a 143. It works, width-wise, but on a bike that actually fits me properly I'd go with a 155. Maybe. I just took a peek at the Specialized saddles and it does look like the 155s get more pear-shaped. Boo. Is there some unwritten law of saddles that says that it must get more pear-shaped as the width increases?
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

    2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

    2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva


    Saving for the next one...

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Uncanny Valley
    Posts
    14,501
    Now that you mention it, it kind of makes sense.

    I'm not convinced there isn't a lot of optical illusion involved in looking at saddles ... but there has to be something to support the rear of the saddle. If it's a monocoque shell then there's an awful lot of torque on the sides unless the transition is more gradual, to distribute the load. If it's a tensioned leather saddle with a cantle plate, then you have all the weight that entails.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    4,632
    Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Now that you mention it, it kind of makes sense.

    I'm not convinced there isn't a lot of optical illusion involved in looking at saddles ... but there has to be something to support the rear of the saddle. If it's a monocoque shell then there's an awful lot of torque on the sides unless the transition is more gradual, to distribute the load. If it's a tensioned leather saddle with a cantle plate, then you have all the weight that entails.
    That makes a lot of sense. Curse you, physics! I'll still likely give the 155 Jett/Ruby (I would like a little bit less padding in the nose) a shot on a hypothetical new bike, and perhaps if I can afford it, the Turbomatic. If those don't work, I'm stumped. (Or I could go back to the 143 and hope for the best...)
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

    2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

    2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva


    Saving for the next one...

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    1,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    That makes a lot of sense. Curse you, physics! I'll still likely give the 155 Jett/Ruby (I would like a little bit less padding in the nose) a shot on a hypothetical new bike, and perhaps if I can afford it, the Turbomatic. If those don't work, I'm stumped. (Or I could go back to the 143 and hope for the best...)
    I ordered my Turbomatic from BikesOnline.com for $107, free shipping. I haven't found it cheaper than that...unless I missed a place. It just shipped out on Friday, so should be here early this week.

    Linda
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Greater Atlanta
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post

    Considering the above 3 saddles to replace my Jett 143 (which I would move to my cyclocross bike, since I wont be "in the saddle" as much on that frame, anyhow). I notice the Glamour lacks a cut-out...do those who use this saddle miss it? .
    I own both saddles, and YES I do miss the cutout on the Aspide. Not a big difference though. I actually prefer the shape and padding of the aspide to the Jett...if they'd just add a comfortable cutout, i would never need another saddle! Are you LISTENING Selle San Marco???
    She's going the distance...

    [COLOR="Red"]
    '14 Orbea Orca Dama, Specialized Jett
    '10 Giant Avail
    '87 Schwinn Cimarron, Brooks B17
    Trek mountain bike...don't know what year

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West MI
    Posts
    4,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    I just took a peek at the Specialized saddles and it does look like the 155s get more pear-shaped. Boo. Is there some unwritten law of saddles that says that it must get more pear-shaped as the width increases?
    Yeah, in photos the 155 Jett and Ruby both look more pear-shaped, so I think I'm not even going to bother trying the Jett. And today I did a century on the Ruby. My sit bones were perfectly fine for that distance on a relatively hard saddle. So the width is good, the firmness is good...just not the shape (I kept having to push myself back and I have a little chafing/soreness in that telltale spot where the butt-cheeks meet the inner thigh). I think I will be ordering a Turbomatic before bed.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious


    '11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West MI
    Posts
    4,259
    Quote Originally Posted by buffybike View Post
    I own both saddles, and YES I do miss the cutout on the Aspide. Not a big difference though. I actually prefer the shape and padding of the aspide to the Jett...if they'd just add a comfortable cutout, i would never need another saddle! Are you LISTENING Selle San Marco???
    Look at this!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious


    '11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    38
    I have this problem with the Jett as well. I seem to want to move back on the Jett saddle, after 15 miles I am moving around trying to get comfortable mostly back however. I don't have a good idea of where my sit bones should be with this saddle. I get chafing on the back of my leg/butt crease with this saddle R>L. Not as bad as with the SI Lady Gel Flow. Sit bones measure 130mm. SI Turbomatic is in the mail.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    I'm the only one allowed to whine
    Posts
    10,557
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahMN View Post
    I get chafing on the back of my leg/butt crease with this saddle R>L.
    Too pear-shaped, too gradual a transition from nose to sits.

    Which might be why you are shifting around so much.

    (ETA: good lawrd, I do sound pedantic, don't I? But it's true... too gradual and not T-shaped enough for the angle of your hip joints.)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    4,632
    Maybe I'll have to try that SSM too. How's the shape, relative to the Jett? It's really hard to tell based on the pictures. I'll give the 155 Jett and Ruby a shot, but I'll have to take my old SI into the LBS with me to see if the shapes corresponds to the chunks I wanted to cut out of it.

    Zoom, let us know when you get that saddle and how well it works.
    Last edited by Owlie; 08-07-2011 at 07:12 PM.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

    2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

    2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva


    Saving for the next one...

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    866
    Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    Too pear-shaped, too gradual a transition from nose to sits.

    Which might be why you are shifting around so much.

    (ETA: good lawrd, I do sound pedantic, don't I? But it's true... too gradual and not T-shaped enough for the angle of your hip joints.)
    Is there anything more T-shaped than my 143 Toupe? It's still assaulting my hip/butt crease
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West MI
    Posts
    4,259
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebug32 View Post
    Is there anything more T-shaped than my 143 Toupe? It's still assaulting my hip/butt crease
    The 143 size makes it tricky. I think there are some 130mm t-shaped saddles out there and the 153mm Turbomatic...but in-between...I don't recall seeing much.

    What are your sit-bone measurements? Maybe something like the Turbomatic or Glamour (which is 155, IIC) would work for you.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious


    '11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •