Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Oh, and as far as measuring techniques go, I've always done the flexible tape measure method, though it can be a challenge with my long torso and short arms...and the dense "padding" over my sit bones.

My hubby has helped me and we both pretty consistently put me at ~130mm center-to-center.

Other people have gone to shops to be measured on gel or memory foam pads or done measurements with playdough, etc.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Thanks Kirsten, I guess I will just stick with this seat for awhile and toughen up.

What the heck did we do before we had forums? Suffer in silence, I guess. I think I measured finally about right at 130 also.
    “Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes.”.
    ~Oscar Wilde

Type One Diabetes
    currently using Medtronic MiniMed
    Revel 723 with CGMS

This is the 3rd season for my Ruby. I bought it because my bike fitter recommended it to me, my old saddle was too wide and we were trying to solve my back issues. I was skeptical of it because of the cutout. I hated the 1 cutout saddle I had tried and ended up selling it. In retrospect the bike I had it on didn't fit and that could have been my issue with that particular saddle.

My bike fitter told me to be patient with the Ruby, that after it was broken in I would love it. Unfortunately, I went on a week long bike tour the next week and didn't get time to break it in. On the tour I was pretty miserable, especially my sit bones. I realized my sitbones had never really touched my previous saddles. I noticed that my shorts made a difference. My beloved Shebeest Triple S shorts weren't comfortable as I also sat sideways on the saddle and got chafing on the right side, but the Shebeest Century shorts felt much better. The difference between the 2 shorts was the chamois, the Triple S had a liner on the wings of the chamois while the Century short had foam padding.

Halfway through the tour I was determined to take the saddle back when I got home, it was the worst saddle I ever had. I thought as good as my fitter is he was wrong about that saddle. I wore the Century shorts for the rest of the tour and by the end of the week things were calming down and I was beginning to appreciate it Now the Ruby is the most comfortable saddle I've ever had.

When I buy new shorts I make sure they have padding on the wings and I've had no chafing since. My fitter recommended putting chamois cream on the chamois. I don't remember if I did that on the tour but I do now for rides over an hour.

My fitter was right on, as usual, give the saddle time to break in and it will be perfect. I just tried to break it in to fast. Later that summer I put the Ariel on my mtn bike and like it as much as I do the Ruby.

A comment about the sideways sitting. I did that for years no matter what saddle I used. I never understood why until I started having issues with my SI joint. I was also sitting sideways in chairs, the car, etc. Now that I have that issue straightened out, for now, I no longer sit sideways on my saddle.

Hope this helps with your saddle decisions.
    Last edited by Kathi; 08-01-2011 at 01:20 PM.

That would be interesting to try the men's models--how much do they differ from the women's equivalents in = widths?

I figure I can always try the Ruby...and if I don't like the lack of cushion I could go with the same size Jett or Alias or Avatar. That nice return policy that Specialized has is a good deal--and it gets people like me opting for their stuff, vs. some of the European competition.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

The Henge looks like it could be useful on my CX bike...interesting!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    If you go to 'view all,' rather than choose a category like women's, road/multipsport, etc., it will show you all their saddles on one page. Then you can look without being constrained by their categories. Because the Phenom is a great road saddle, even though they call it a mountain bike saddle.
    That's a good point...and, man...they have a LOT of men-specific saddles!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

I have tried all of the saddles discussed at some point or another, including the avatar. I didn't hate it but it did give me like a "hot" seat from the pressure and padding. It's not overly padded but more than the ruby I was using. I have tried a ruby at least three separate times, once after my super fitting, and it always gives me rubs by the cutout. I am currently on an Affinity RXL, I love the dent but it's the only place to be. The seat is super hard and flat, no flex at all but gives you a good push on hills. It's amazing how different they all are and I have a vesta at home I want to try as well. I would say to try a men's version if you think it might work. They are not that different, my husband rides a toupe, it's the same as the ruby was. Just different marketing. He's on a romin now, that things a beast. Super hard, but he likes it. I did just order a turbomatic to try, if I hate it, it'll be up for sale in the classifieds.
    2009 Specialized Roubaix pro/SMP lite 209
    2010 Trek 4300/Specialized ariel 155

My sister suffers from pelvic pain and she uses a noseless saddle. Something to think about anyhow. I am not sure I would like it.

Sorry, kind of off topic.
    “Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes.”.
    ~Oscar Wilde

Type One Diabetes
    currently using Medtronic MiniMed
    Revel 723 with CGMS

Quote Originally Posted by kermit View Post
    I have tried all of the saddles discussed at some point or another, including the avatar. I didn't hate it but it did give me like a "hot" seat from the pressure and padding. It's not overly padded but more than the ruby I was using. I have tried a ruby at least three separate times, once after my super fitting, and it always gives me rubs by the cutout. I am currently on an Affinity RXL, I love the dent but it's the only place to be. The seat is super hard and flat, no flex at all but gives you a good push on hills. It's amazing how different they all are and I have a vesta at home I want to try as well. I would say to try a men's version if you think it might work. They are not that different, my husband rides a toupe, it's the same as the ruby was. Just different marketing. He's on a romin now, that things a beast. Super hard, but he likes it. I did just order a turbomatic to try, if I hate it, it'll be up for sale in the classifieds.
    I too, just ordered a Turbomatic (Gel Flow, all black)...so depending on how I like it there might be 2 of 'em up for sale.
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

Quote Originally Posted by nscrbug View Post
    I too, just ordered a Turbomatic (Gel Flow, all black)...so depending on how I like it there might be 2 of 'em up for sale.
    If I end up not loving my Ruby saddle we could talk some trades!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

I am creating quite a collection...I just want one to work...all the time. I am giving the Affinity RXL a GOOD try, my husband reminded me that I tend to give them one or two tries and get frustrated, so I will take more time. I have not used any lube for a while and that is why I started trying saddles without a cutout, I may be a person that needs a cutout and just HAS to lube. So many things to consider, saddles, shorts, lube...mind boggling sometimes!
    2009 Specialized Roubaix pro/SMP lite 209
    2010 Trek 4300/Specialized ariel 155

Did my first ride on my new Ruby, today...I am definitely strongly in-like after 35 miles. I kept expecting sit bone pain, but really...there was none. It definitely felt firm and I was much more aware of my sit bones, but I didn't experience anything remotely painful. I am also pretty certain that I should have been on a 155 all this time. I'm eager to see what my hubby thinks next time we ride together...hopefully he doesn't see me drifting off to the left side of the saddle, anymore.

I'm doing a century on Sunday...I will report back re: how the saddle works for that distance.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Apologies for the double post
    Last edited by macski; 08-05-2011 at 08:35 PM. Reason: As above

zoom-zoom - glad you are enjoying the Ruby so far. I must be similar to you in terms of width of saddle. I am on the cusp on the Specialized chart between a 143 and a 155 - the lbs guy said that if I rode mostly in the drops I should get the 143 but if more time on the hoods, I would need a 155 (which I got)

One of my bikes came with the Ruby and I hated it - numb girly bits for a couple of hours after every ride. Swapped it with my Jett from another bike and everything was fine although I noticed my sit bones if I hadn't ridden for a few days and got back on the bike. Then I got a new bike and got a Jett for it and it has been the best yet - no sit bone pain at all and good for long rides. It wasn't what I expected because this Jett is the model down (the sport version) and has slightly more padding. Go figure! But I rarely even notice my saddle on a ride unless I stay in one position for too long.

I noticed that you said you were concerned aout getting a saddle that was too squishy and so was I, which is why the new Jett was such a pleasant surprise.

But if you continue to like the Ruby you won't need to consider Jett models.

At some point I'd consider getting a Jett in the 155 for my cyclocross bike. I think I will stick with the 143 for a while, since I won't be putting nearly the miles on that bike that I do my road bike...and during races my butt won't be in the saddle as much, anyhow. If I end up doing a lot of outdoor riding this Winter it may be a nice thing to have on that bike, though.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3