Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

as tourist: dressing up abit?

To disable ads, please log-in.

right now we are in a mountain town that is full of vacationing tourists and locals with their condo places..outside of banff, alberta. At the foot of Rocky Mountains.

It continues to amaze me that even in an outdoorsy like town (and we've been to several all over british columbia too), how carefully some women dress nicely for a dinner at cafe or restaurant. (Maybe I've been too long with my partner. He's more impressed that I remain healthy instead of being overly dressed up or with alot of make-up... )

For any cycling or snowshoeing trip out of town, we just don't bother to take dressier clothing along. I have stopped bringing along a skirt, sundress or dress pants for any vacation trip anywhere in North America or Europe for past 18 yrs. or so.

I guess I'm just lazy. I just can't be bothered to haul around more weight for a piece of clothing I would only wear for a few hrs. once during a trip.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Funny.

In my everyday life, I never go much beyond jeans and t-shirt. Maybe I might put on a nicer pair of pants and top but that's bout it. I also like to see how people treat you when you're just.. you. I'd prefer to buy from people who treat you nicely/respectfully regardless of your outward appearance.

When I travel, I actually prefer to dress down and to be quite honest, practically. I figure it makes me less of a pick pocket target since it doesn't yell "WELL OFF TOURIST ALERT!"

Kinda like my cars. I like to park next to nicer cars. If you're going thru the trouble of taking a car you might as well take the nicer one
    Last edited by roguedog; 07-31-2011 at 07:41 AM.
    Push the pedal down watch the world around fly by us

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    So true rogue that more than ever, I like being treated respectfully even I'm dressed ordinary and travelling.

Dearie and I have gone to some higher end restaurants when we travel, we enjoy our meals together in lovely surroundings. So not dressing up, doesn't mean I take for granted our time together, that it's still special to us.

I'm not sure even if dressing down for me, would help alot of not advertising tourist status. In some European countries, I'm clearly looking like a tourist.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

What you perceive as "dressed up" might be somebody else's supremely relaxed and casual. In the summer I prefer to wear dresses because they're light, no fuss, and comfortable. Does that mean I'm being fancy? Hardly! The dresses I buy are typically no-wrinkle, wicking fabrics that can be worn multiple times before washing, like this one, which I'm wearing right now. Comfort and ease don't mean you have to look like a slob or have no style.
    2006 Giant OCRc
    2011 Giant Escape City W
    198? Univega Nuovo Sport 42/16 fixed gear conversion
    1979 Peugeot 44/18 fixed gear conversion

Quote Originally Posted by blue_angel View Post
    The dresses I buy are typically no-wrinkle, wicking fabrics that can be worn multiple times before washing, like this one, which I'm wearing right now. Comfort and ease don't mean you have to look like a slob or have no style.
    I have that dress...and LOVE it! So easy to dress up or down. I bought it last year for my hubby's 20 year class reunion and it's one of my favorite wardrobe staples. I don't iron anything or buy things that can't be machine washed--that dress totally fits the bill. It's just as easy to throw a dress like that on with cute sandals as it would be to wear a t-shirt and shorts.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    I have that dress...and LOVE it! So easy to dress up or down. I bought it last year for my hubby's 20 year class reunion and it's one of my favorite wardrobe staples. I don't iron anything or buy things that can't be machine washed--that dress totally fits the bill. It's just as easy to throw a dress like that on with cute sandals as it would be to wear a t-shirt and shorts.
    I love this dress so much I bought a second one in blue! Seriously, it's hard to get myself to wear anything else when it's over 85 degrees outside. Personally, I dislike wearing t-shirts and shorts, so dresses like this are the perfect solution.
    2006 Giant OCRc
    2011 Giant Escape City W

That is a great dress! And it comes in tall sizes! I've got a few skirts from Athleta, but haven't bought any dresses from them yet.

I've got a burnin' yearnin' for this one: http://athleta.gap.com/browse/produc...d=1&pid=841249
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    it comes in tall sizes!
    And petite!

But I wonder what it would look like on someone with no waist. Some styles just look horrible on my body.

I never wear makeup, but there are plenty of places I wouldn't go in my day-to-day attire of cheap jeans and a ratty T-shirt, and that's especially true in Europe where people generally dress nicer than they do in the USA. There's casual and then there's sloppy.

It's shoes that drive me absolutely up the wall. Especially as someone who doesn't like to go more than a couple of days without a workout ... I HATE having to bring four pairs of shoes on a three-day trip, but I really find it unavoidable. Nice heels, kicking around shoes which are usually a pair of worn-out running shoes, casual flats, running shoes. Then potentially another pair of nice shoes if for some reason I have to bring outfits that don't match. Then potentially a pair of gym shoes. Ugh. It's easier in summertime when I can wear the same nice-ish sandals for kicking around and casual wear. Plus summer clothes generally take a lot less volume than winter...
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 07-31-2011 at 09:40 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I ordered the dress in petite, as I'm on the short side. I also have almost no waist (I'm big around the middle and very narrow-hipped). The way the dress is gathered, it actually helps create the impression of a waist. It's a very flattering dress for non-normative body shapes. Plus I think Athleta has a very accommodating return policy. It's worth giving it a shot, since it's on sale now.
    2006 Giant OCRc
    2011 Giant Escape City W

Y'all are evil. I just ordered the dress. Here's hoping it fits, as the reviews gave mixed results.

And I'm in the prefer dresses crowd, especially on hot days. As for travel, ease of wearing is important, but it helps to blend in with the local crowd. I found I could peg Americans (Norte Americanos) when I was in Europe because they tended to dress down.
    Last edited by bmccasland; 07-31-2011 at 10:19 AM.
    Beth

In Europe, I tend to "dress up" a bit, which for me is a skirt and sandals or boots. I might get by with jeans during the day, but I try to wear something a little nicer for dinner to blend in a bit better with the locals. I always took it as a good sign that I was often mistaken for a native when I traveled alone. No heels though; I can't walk more than a few blocks in heels.

Most of my North American travels revolve around the outdoors, so I keep it low maintenance. I might still wear a casual skirt for dinner, but I do absolutely nothing to my hair (which is a real vacation for me since my hair takes some work). I enjoy wearing a bit of makeup unless I'm working out or hiking/biking.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I seriously want some Athleta dresses. I've been coveting them for a long time.

This thread reminds me of when DH and I took a trip to San Francisco and through Sonoma County. We stayed at a beautiful B&B right on the ocean. Every afternoon they served caviar. The first afternoon we showed up STARVING from our day of hiking (covered in dried mud and sticky with sweat) and in full hiking gear. It was a bit awkward as all the other couples had just finished their afternoon of touring wineries and were dressed up a bit

There was one couple in particular who liked to talk ALOT about how much they played golf and rubbed shoulders with the rich and kind-of famous. Her hair was always coiffed and his collar always popped. We called them "Jules and Parker." Ever since then, whenever we see a couple that is trying too hard, they are immediately branded as "Jules and Parker."
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Usually when I travel I want to be as comfortable as possible, so I take more casual relaxed wear. (I pretty much live in casual wear anyway.) However, I'll usually take along a piece or two that can be dressed up or down. That way if DH and I want to have a special date night while there, we can.

Being parents of two younger kids, we don't have too many quiet moments to ourselves, so we try to make the ones we have special. I like to dress up very femininely on occasion too. It's just plain fun. Lately I've been playing around with '30's and '40's style makeup and hair. I just need to find a couple of dresses that fit the period to pull off the look.
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

2007 Rodriguez Adventure/B72
    2009 Masi Soulville Mixte/B18
    1997 Trek 820 Step-thru Xtracycle/B17

I also tend to wear dresses in hot weather. That is the first thing you learn, when you live in a desert climate, as I did for 16 years. No horrible waistband making you sweat!
    I love Athleta dresses and would buy them all if I could.
    That said, I do bring nice clothes for vacations, even when we are cycling all day. I tend to bring 3 types of clothes: cycling/hiking stuff, casual pants/capris and tops for walking around/shopping after the sports part of the day is done, and some dresses or skirts to wear in the evening. I might stay in the pants/capris all night, too, depending on where we are going. I like choice and sometimes we're in spots where it can be 95 one day and a few days later, it's in the 50s, like when we went to the Czech Republic.
    I love dressing up, but I wouldn't say I am totally dolled up on vacation like I would be if I was going to a fancy place in downtown Boston. When we take winter trips, focusing on x country skiing, what I wear at night depends on if we have to leave the inn and travel in freezing cold temperatures. In Europe, I dress as the natives do. I never, ever wear running shoes, or carry a fanny pack! Not that I do this at home, either, but frankly, I have been told I dress like a European at home, in a kind of mean way. DH gets this all of the time, because he wears capris, the kind guys wear in Europe, and wears really cool shoes that most American men don't buy.
    I mean, what's wrong with getting dressed up and wearing make up on vacation, if you are going out in the evening? It's not like I do that when I am riding. Sure, last year when we went to the AMC lodge in the Maine Wilderness, I wore my hiking type clothes at night, but that was more like a camping trip, even though we slept in a cabin.
    Oh, and I have that Athleta dress. I have to wear a camisole under it, though, or the cleavage shows way too much. I tried wearing it sans camisole last year, at dinner one night in Spain, and I ended up running upstairs and putting the camisole on, because I felt uncomfortable.
    Last edited by Crankin; 07-31-2011 at 01:59 PM.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I should note that the only reason I wear old running shoes as my kicking-around shoes is that my feet are so hard to fit. I really can't even find running shoes that fit properly, but some can at least get close. I've never found a pair of casual shoes that I could walk more than a half mile in without agony, let alone the five or six (or more) miles a day one usually walks as a tourist. I'm well aware of how conspicuous they are, and a bit uncomfortable with it when I'm overseas, but really don't have a choice.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler