Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Has Etiquette Gone Out the Window?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Went to a coworker's party last night. Most of the girls are in their mid twenties to early thirties. I'm 35.

The hostess set up the Wii so people could play this dance game on it, and that's all she and some of the other girls did for a good half hour.

Is this the new norm? I'm glad the girls enjoyed themselves, and maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I thought the hostess' job was to socialize with everyone, making sure everyone was enjoying themselves.

Didn't end up staying at the party for too long as I wanted to chat with people, not compete with them doing some Wii game.
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

How boring.
    I would have left.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Maybe they socialize more by cellphone. Honest, I wonder with the heavy use of cell phone and Facebook...

I think it's just that crowd --that's all.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    Maybe they socialize more by cellphone. Honest, I wonder with the heavy use of cell phone and Facebook...

I think it's just that crowd --that's all.
    One time, my daughter and I went to a neighbors for her daughter's b-day because they're the same age. All was nice and fine for awhile. Later on the family just dissapeared into the master bedroom to have a conversation, completely oblivious that we were even there, no come on in or anything. We quietly left and never went to any more of their parties. Jenn

That does sound rude, but rudeness isn't new. There are just new ways of manifesting lack of social skills.

Was the hostess by chance new at entertaining? I cringe to think of the mistakes I probably made in my twenties and even thirties. Entertaining is a skill, like anything else, and takes practice.

If the hostess is someone you like and want to help out, you can, as a guest, help with chatting up people who seem left out, that kind of thing.
    Last edited by PamNY; 08-02-2011 at 08:13 PM.