Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

cycling in france, cell phones?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am planning to do some cycling in France and would like to rent a number of cell phones for the cycling party. Is there a way to rent or buy burners that won't have crazy roaming fees. Any ideas appreciated.

Sarah

What kind of phones do you have here at home? If they use GSM (like AT&T's), rather than CDMA (like Verizon's), get the SIM lock removed before your trip and you can probably just buy a SIM card when you get to France.

Quote Originally Posted by BikeDutchess View Post
    What kind of phones do you have here at home? If they use GSM (like AT&T's), rather than CDMA (like Verizon's), get the SIM lock removed before your trip and you can probably just buy a SIM card when you get to France.
    Good question. We all have Sprint! No options for SIM cards.

Buying a cell phone will be cheaper than renting (and then you have it available for other travel).

Fees for texting are generally not terrible, just disable any data plan.

I have an unlocked phone and when I go to Europe I use a SIM card I bought from Orange in England. Their pay as you go never expires (which is unheard of) and great if you travel to Europe more than once in a blue moon. Their roaming charges are very reasonable, too.