Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Any other Vegan cyclists here?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Just curious - just curious. You other vegans (assuming you're out there), what kinds of foods do you try to concentrate on before long rides?

I usually head out for a ride mid - morning. My favorite breakfast is a big bowl of oatmeal topped with ground flax seeds and blueberries. I usually split an orange and apple with my husband right before we go - and depending on the length of the ride, we might down a Clif bar part way through.

Our favorite after riding snack is a blueberry soy smoothie with wheat germ.

What kinds of stuff works well for you?

Not quite vegan, but

Hey, that's my breakfast too! Mine also has a handful of walnuts thrown in for good measure. This breakfast has gotten me started on many a ride. I do the mid-morning fruit break as well. My riding lunch, on really long rides, is a whole wheat tortilla with refried beans and cheese (sorry!) on it. That works really well in addition to the energy bars. There's a whole thread here by CorsairMac about making her own LaraBars that's really good - we both experimented with that and liked the results.

I'm not vegan but I've found it a big challenge to try vegetarianism with my daughter. She's a teenage convert so she's wanting to veer to eating fries and macaroni and cheese instead of broccoli and tofu. We've been working at it since last spring - unfortunately my husband and son still occasionally want meat so I end up cooking duel meals many nights.

Quote Originally Posted by nuthatch
    Hey, that's my breakfast too! Mine also has a handful of walnuts thrown in for good measure. This breakfast has gotten me started on many a ride. I do the mid-morning fruit break as well. My riding lunch, on really long rides, is a whole wheat tortilla with refried beans and cheese (sorry!) on it. That works really well in addition to the energy bars. There's a whole thread here by CorsairMac about making her own LaraBars that's really good - we both experimented with that and liked the results.

I'm not vegan but I've found it a big challenge to try vegetarianism with my daughter. She's a teenage convert so she's wanting to veer to eating fries and macaroni and cheese instead of broccoli and tofu. We've been working at it since last spring - unfortunately my husband and son still occasionally want meat so I end up cooking duel meals many nights.
    Ah, the nuts would be a great addition from a nutrition point of view but for some reason I just can't stomach nuts in the morning. Good luck on your journey with your daughter!

Modified vegan... I have massive dietary restrictions (missing enzymes and various allergies/sensitivities), so I do eat eggs. I have green slop for breakfast -- "TUM" ("The Ultimate Meal") powder mixed with vitamin powder, rice milk powder, EFA oil, and some sugar to make it palatable and add extra calories. And maybe fresh vegetable juice if I'm not in a hurry and have something I can shove into the juicer. Yum, yum. (Not.)
    "This is totally unfair! Just because I'm from another planet, I don't have rights? I mean, doesn't the Geneva convention protect extraterrestrials?" (Stargate)

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglewalker
    Modified vegan... I have massive dietary restrictions (missing enzymes and various allergies/sensitivities), so I do eat eggs. I have green slop for breakfast -- "TUM" ("The Ultimate Meal") powder mixed with vitamin powder, rice milk powder, EFA oil, and some sugar to make it palatable and add extra calories. And maybe fresh vegetable juice if I'm not in a hurry and have something I can shove into the juicer. Yum, yum. (Not.)
    Ugh, I've had The Ultimate Meal - gagged down almost the whole can (not all at once but couldn't hack it anymore. My hat is off to you.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

It comes in a can? I've never seen anything except the powder that must be mixed with liquid. (I didn't mention the water that I use to create this yummy sludge.)
    "This is totally unfair! Just because I'm from another planet, I don't have rights? I mean, doesn't the Geneva convention protect extraterrestrials?" (Stargate)

No, you're right - powdered in a can.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

I was picturing you glugging down some vile concoction -- oh, wait. That IS what you were doing!

I use it because I am short on enzymes and long on food allergies and sensitivities. This stuff has no soy and no dairy and is (sort of) "whole foods" instead of "highly processed extract of food".

I thought I was the only vegan cyclist...

but maybe that's just because my partner and I are the only vegans within 100 miles of our place. I can't say as I have any great advice; I'm just learning to eat often enough to keep from bonking - or getting cranky. But so far I've liked banana dogs made with soy butter instead of peanut butter - easier on the stomach.