Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Symptoms of "done" shorts?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have a pair that I suspect need to be tossed. What sorts of issues crop up for you when a pair of shorts is past their useful life?
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Oh, man, I'm wondering the same thing. The saddle sore was a good hint (and they got a black mark on their label), but putting more chamois butter helped that. Now, I'm just finding that I'm choosing other shorts first, and saving the questionable ones for short rides. I'll do that for a while. Eventually, I suspect they will find a rest spot in the bottom of a drawer, to be discovered while looking for a missing glove someday. Then I'll toss them.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Repeated saddle sores from shorts that used to be butt nirvana is my cue that it's time to chuck them. My theory is that the lycra degrades enough over time, allowing the shorts and chamois to move around between me and the saddle, causing sores.

Ride your bike in bright sunlight and ask your husband to follow along behind you.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    Ride your bike in bright sunlight and ask your husband to follow along behind you.
    I don't think my shorts are thin, but I'm starting to suspect that all the rides I do with owies "down there" have one thing in common...my highest-mileage pair of shorts. The chamois seems still very cushy, but there is an area of the fabric cover right in the vicinity of my hooha that almost seems a little worn and stiff. I almost wonder if my mild bladder leakage has done damage to the chamois cover.

I think I'm going to not ride with these for a while, then see how they are on another short ride. If I have problems, then I will know it's the shorts.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    Oh indeed....... the dude that I was behind a few weeks ago that I could count his bum hairs (fortunately for my scalded eyeballs I was behind him for a very short time only....) needed a new pair of shorts.....
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    Oh indeed....... the dude that I was behind a few weeks ago that I could count his bum hairs (fortunately for my scalded eyeballs I was behind him for a very short time only....) needed a new pair of shorts.....
    Ha, my hubby has had shorts like that. I've been the one to give him the heads-up, but it makes me wonder how many less-fortunate people have ridden behind him and not said anything.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Loose stiching that is more than a bit of a bit of sewing. Chafed/bitty fabric inbetween the legs. Chamois too soft or flattened out. Lyra getting that "used swimsuit" look and feel as the elastic goes.

It isn't just bike shorts. There is a huge black woman at the gym who works out inextremely tight, extremely thin lycra nylon shorts and bra. Her pubic hair, her butt crack and her nipples all show, but she seems to enjoy the attention. Thankfully I am usually on an elliptical when she is on the treadmill, so I can do an hour with my eyes closed. easy. I just go to my counting and breathing regularly place and zone.

marni
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Gah, I don't want to see anyone's junk like that -- I'd be finding a new gym!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Oh my... for me what kills the shorts are the thigh bands, they start getting lose long before the waistband and well before the material starts getting thin. Which i don't get, as I hand wash them and air dry only (nothing with elastic ever sees the inside of my dryer and all cycling clothing gets hand washed). When they start looking dorky, I relegate them to commuting use until they become unbearable then I toss 'em.

I'm happy to get a year to a year and a half from a pair of shorts- which really isn't much as I typically have 4~6 pair that I cycle through.
    Tzvia- rollin' slow...
    Specialized Ruby Expert/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Specialized SWorks Safire/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Giant Anthem-W XT-XTR/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Fuji Newest 3 commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Novara E.T.A commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL

Oh, I have 2 pair of PI shorts that don't even have all that many miles on them, but the thigh bands are so stretched out that they fit like a LG. Like you, my shorts never see the dryer.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    Ewwwwww!

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

Quote Originally Posted by marni View Post
    It isn't just bike shorts. There is a huge black woman at the gym who works out inextremely tight, extremely thin lycra nylon shorts and bra. Her pubic hair, her butt crack and her nipples all show, but she seems to enjoy the attention. Thankfully I am usually on an elliptical when she is on the treadmill, so I can do an hour with my eyes closed. easy. I just go to my counting and breathing regularly place and zone.

marni
    Double Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

First they went from my fav long ride shorts to short rides, then spinning class then after spinning class I realized they needed to go. Denial.
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." --Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

'09 Trek WSD 2.1 with a Brooks B-68 saddle
    '11 Trek WSD Madone 5.2 with Brooks B-17