Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question Backside Chaffing

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have significantly increased my number of miles this summer and it has been going great! Except I've experienced some debilitating chaffing. I rode 45 miles last Thursday and when I was finished my backside was totally swollen. When the swelling went down, it looked like I had rug burns. The chaffing occurs along the seam of my bike shorts. In particular where I contact the saddle. I currently wear the same shorts I've worn for the past 4 summers of riding (I only ride in summer) and I've never had this problem. I thought that maybe my shorts were worn out so I bought another pair (same ones I have now--PI Attack Short). However, I'm very worried that this won't solve the problem since all the seams are in relatively the same location, regardless of short.

Please help, I'm at a loss for what to do and it is so sad! Thank you in advance!

Are you using any chamois cream when you ride? No matter how good or well fitting my shorts, for rides past, say two hours, I need chamois cream. I used Chamois Butt'r in particular, but any number of brands are on the market. Apply a generous amount of the cream to any and all areas that feel like they're getting chafed. Reapply during rides as necessary.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I'm thinking if there's a seam between you and your saddle that isn't on the outside of the chamois, a different pair of shorts might be better. There really shouldn't be a seam there.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by oakleaf View Post
    i'm thinking if there's a seam between you and your saddle that isn't on the outside of the chamois, a different pair of shorts might be better. There really shouldn't be a seam there.
    + 1

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Thanks for your responses...

Yes, I was wearing Chamois Butt'r, but I didn't add any after we started riding. And I put the Butt'r right on the seam that is irritating me.

It is the seam that is on the outside of the chamois, the one that connects the chamois to the lycra. Also, there is a seam running up the back of the leg but doesn't seem to be an issue.

Other thoughts? Thanks for your help. I can't understand why after four years of summer riding only now this is an issue. I did lose about 10 pounds during the winter, which I've kept off, but I don't think I can get shorts that are any smaller.

If you're too small for any easily available shorts, then your 10# weight loss must've been over 10% of your body weight, and that is DEFINITELY enough to make your shorts too big!

But if your hips measure 32" or bigger, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to find shorts to fit. Have your measurements ready and call TE for suggestions ...
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Maybe she meant she didn't think she could go down a size because she wasn't that much smaller? 10 lbs is a lot though.
    Yes, I meant that I didn't think I could go smaller than my size small Pearl Izumi attack shorts. there doesn't seem to be any extra "slack". I guess I'll just have to heal totally from this last chaffing injury and then try out the new shorts...

My next bet will be to call TE. Any thoughts that maybe the weight change might have made the saddle effect me in a different way?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by andrearae13 View Post
    I have significantly increased my number of miles this summer
    As you wrote one of the changes for you this summer is the increase on miles, which can create issues you didn't have before as you are spending more time on the saddle. Check to see if your saddle moved as this can happen overtime without you noticing it, although doesn't sound like saddle issue is worth to check anyways. Use a different pair of shorts. Use a better anti chafe cream, Chamois Butt'r is very common but in my opinion is not pretty good, I personally use Endur-It as that is the one it works best for me and there is no need to reapply during your ride as it will last several hours if you apply enough. Hope this helps

andrearae13-
    I've had the same problem recently, much more so than in the past. I think I need to use sport glide in the right places or chamois buttr, and also get new shorts because what I have is stretched out and even though I would probably get the same size, it would be tighter because it's newer and less fabric moving around. that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Not all who wander are lost

I am a type one diabetic and struggle with sores and skin issues. I found Hoo Ha Ride Glide and it has helped greatly. I have learned to ride commando and to stop and readjust if things feel "wrong".

Before I found Ride Glide, I used vaseline and that seemed to also help. Hoo Ha Ride Glide isn't as messy and easier to wash off.

Okay so after trying a few different shorts and "creams" I decided to try a new saddle. Did about 27 miles today on the new saddle...it is way different than the stock Bontrager that came with my Trek. This one has much less "cushion" and I wonder how long it will take to get used to it?

Thanks for your other feedback...

Anyone else go from the comfy stock saddle to a more race specific saddle? How did you know it was comfortable?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by andrearae13 View Post
    Okay so after trying a few different shorts and "creams" I decided to try a new saddle. Did about 27 miles today on the new saddle...it is way different than the stock Bontrager that came with my Trek. This one has much less "cushion" and I wonder how long it will take to get used to it?

Thanks for your other feedback...

Anyone else go from the comfy stock saddle to a more race specific saddle? How did you know it was comfortable?

Thanks!

You know it's comfortable when it doesn't hurt!

It's possible a new saddle will require a couple of rides to get used to, if the old one was not supporting your sit bones and the new one is, because your sit bones will need to toughen up a bit. But if you were properly supported before, and you are properly supported on the new one, it should not hurt.

Most people are the other way around -- the stock saddle hurts them, so they search for a new one that is a better fit for their body.

What new saddle are you trying? Did you measure your sit bones first to make sure the new saddle was the correct width?

Where is the pain? On the sit bones where they contact the saddle, on the bones in front of them, soft tissue pressure or chafing from the nose, something else?

Also, what kind of bike are you riding?

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

What new saddle are you trying? Did you measure your sit bones first to make sure the new saddle was the correct width?

Where is the pain? On the sit bones where they contact the saddle, on the bones in front of them, soft tissue pressure or chafing from the nose, something else?

Also, what kind of bike are you riding?
    Okay..so my bike is a Trek WSD 2.1

The new saddle was fit with the Bontrager system at the LBS, it is a Bontrager inform R (140 mm).

The pain seems to be just right on the sitbones where they contact that saddle...so far doesn't look like any chafing, but it wasn't a super long ride.