Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Another thread on bike fit, please help

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello ladies! I have been road riding for over one year and ride a 53" Gary fisher ion. I have grappled w low back pain for years and switched from running to cycling as a result.

I have loved my Gary fisher and have tweaked the seat height, moved it up, back, moved the bars up, ect. After an hour or so my low back starts to hurt and that's all I can think about.

Hubby and I rented bikes two weeks ago while vacationing in So Cal and I had a wsd 5.2 madone. I rode four hours without any low back pain or sore rhomboids. We rode every kind of terrain, types that aren't here to ride in Mn (low mtn pass, big descents) and I had zero back pain or shoulder pain. Other than that I didn't notice a huge diff between the bikes. Fast forward to today I cAnt get that out of my mind. As long as I'm not in pain I want to tide. Went to our lbs yesterday, they don't have a 52" (that's what I rode) but another lbs in mn does. We called to rent it and they will let us use it for one hour. Agh!!! I am scared to commit to a 3200.00 bike after one hr of riding! I lift weights have seen a or and chiro and back pain is getting better. My question to you experts is could the madone really be what I need? Is it a fluke that I ride that far without pain?
    Thanks in advance!
    Gary Fisher is the other man in my life!

Sounds like the Gary Fisher bike might have you stretched forward more than you can tolerate and the Madone WSD geometry fits you better, possibly due to a shorter top tube. Check the other Madone WSD series bikes -- geometry will be similar, if not the same, the components will be different.

You may want to try a shorter stem on your Gary Fisher before investing in a new bike. It may be just what you need to tweek the fit.
    "Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" (Robert F. Kennedy)

We are going to measure seat to tube and seat to pedal to see if there is a diff between the two. I want to try that before making the decision. The guys at the lbs basically said you cant make the ion the madone no matter how hard you try to tweak. I'd hate to be switching out bikes this soon but if I have to I will. Thanks for the responses!

As most women, once I find something that works, I have learned to buy it as the end result is what matters. Big expense but four hours in a variety of terrain and no back pain is huge I have to share this video about Gary Fisher those guys were crazy.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

I just switched from an aluminum frame to a madone. I've also had back problems in the past. One thing I noticed is, the carbon seems to transfer less road vibration to my body. I just rode 43 miles without any back ache. Try one of the cheaper madones, if you're on a budget. The 4.7 is consideraby cheaper, but has lower end components. There is also a $200 end of season sale, if you can find your frame size.

Don't focus on the pain while riding. Try doing a few stretches while pedalling, or stop on the side of the road.
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." --Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

'09 Trek WSD 2.1 with a Brooks B-68 saddle
    '11 Trek WSD Madone 5.2 with Brooks B-17

The head tube height on the Madone is taller as well, which probably also contributes significantly to the increased comfort. You might be able to make the Ion more comfortable, but the salesperson is right. You'll never make it a Madone.

I haven't had a prof fitting but I agree w the earlier response that talked about comfort of carbon over aluminum. Hills were easier, I hit two bumps and hardly noticed. I rode 1.5 hrs today and not one pain. I was def able to notice the differences between the bikes while riding today. The madone 5.2 shifted and breaked like butter. I want that bike. We didn't bother measuring after the ride. I will still have an ION when the more comfortable bike is what I need. Now to convince my hubby that I need a more expensive bike than him AND another bike when I just bought this one year ago

Quote Originally Posted by lisathew8lifter View Post
    I haven't had a prof fitting but I agree w the earlier response that talked about comfort of carbon over aluminum. Hills were easier, I hit two bumps and hardly noticed. I rode 1.5 hrs today and not one pain. I was def able to notice the differences between the bikes while riding today. The madone 5.2 shifted and breaked like butter. I want that bike. We didn't bother measuring after the ride. I will still have an ION when the more comfortable bike is what I need. Now to convince my hubby that I need a more expensive bike than him AND another bike when I just bought this one year ago
    I can SO relate to this statement. I am on my 3rd bike in as many years, and I am, once again, contemplating a new one. I've had 3 professional fittings (including a very expensive RETUL fit) and still can't seem to get comfortable enough on longer (50+) rides. It's been very frustrating, to say the least. I'm starting to wonder if the 51cm bike I am currently on, is a bit too small for me. I'm tired of sinking money into pro fits, saddles, and stems in order to make this bike work for me. I too, am looking into a Madone 5.2...as well as a Cervelo RS, an Orbea Onix/Dama TLT, a Felt Z series, and a Specialized Ruby. I've been riding a road bike for 3 years, yet I feel as though I'm starting back at square one again.

Linda
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

Linda I am chuckling, and your response made me feel better. The rental in Cali is what got this all going. I highly recommend a long test ride or a rental to determine your best fit. Pay a days rental and take it out for the 50+ and if you don't have pain you will know! Hubby has a 4.5 madone with lesser components than the wsd 5.2 and it has been a tough sell. a step in the right direction was getting him there today. I even offered to sell my gary f mountain bike too and he said no we take trips a few times per year and he wants me to keep it. Did I say I want that bike

Oh yes a 4.5 IS nice but it's also nicer than his
    Sky- just watched that video what a riot! My back hurts just watching that!!! Wonder if there was any marijuana smoked whilst clunking!?

I can't knock the Madone 4.5 cuz I have its predecessor which was the womens Lemond. I gotta give to Trek that's one friggin' comfy bike. It's carbon too. I think before you buy the carbon though you should go try a good quality steel frame cuz as strange as it may sound steel is extremely forgiving. It may also help the sell to hubby a little easier cuz they usually aren't as expensive and you can then get nicer components for the price. Worth a look see

Top tube and head tube length could have something to do with it. However, the shape of the saddle can have a big effect on the angle of your pelvis. Think about how you sit with you lower back supported - the natural curve is preserved. If you sit slouched or allow your pelvis to tuck under (where the natural curve is rounded the in the opposite direction) it puts a lot of strain on your lower back. I rode on flat saddles for years and fought with lower back pain. Eventually I found a saddle that ramps up in the back that also has the right type of cutout. For me, the ramp allows my pelvis to sit at a more natural angle thereby eliminating strain on the muscles and vertebrae of my lower back. I can now ride comfortably in a lower, more stretched out position when need be because I have the right kind of saddle to keep my pelvis properly angled.

Quote Originally Posted by nscrbug View Post
    I can SO relate to this statement. I am on my 3rd bike in as many years, and I am, once again, contemplating a new one. I've had 3 professional fittings (including a very expensive RETUL fit) and still can't seem to get comfortable enough on longer (50+) rides. It's been very frustrating, to say the least. I'm starting to wonder if the 51cm bike I am currently on, is a bit too small for me. I'm tired of sinking money into pro fits, saddles, and stems in order to make this bike work for me. I too, am looking into a Madone 5.2...as well as a Cervelo RS, an Orbea Onix/Dama TLT, a Felt Z series, and a Specialized Ruby. I've been riding a road bike for 3 years, yet I feel as though I'm starting back at square one again.

Linda
    Not all bike fits are equal. Bike fitting is just like an art, it does not matter what is used to do it, the ultimate decision is made by the fitter itself so even if they use the highest technology at the end the fit is only as good as the fitter. Women and men are different and women's fit are more complicated and require a different approach due to women's anatomy and only a fitter with extensive experience working with women can really resolve the issues we may have as females. I work in the bicycle industry and is a bit bothersome to see that now days you can find a so call "pro bike fit" in almost any bike shop, but many may not be qualified or have the expertise to perform a fit. Just My 2 Cents Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    What did the fitter who did the RETUL say? Did he advise you to get a larger size?

Have you considered custom?
    Actually, just the opposite...he told me that if it were up to him, he would have put me on an even SMALLER bike. I moved my saddle a smidge further back from where the RETUL fitter had it positioned, and it does feel a slight bit better. I'm not getting the searing sit bone pain that I was before on longer rides, and my soft tissue seems happier too. I just hope I didn't screw up my knee angle too much by moving the saddle back. I've only put on about 100 miles with the new seat position and so far, my knees feel fine.

As for going custom...it has crossed my mind, but I'm hesitant because I am such a difficult fit, that I'd be afraid to commit to a custom bike only to end up not having it feel absolutely perfect and be back to square one again.
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155