Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Eden: Your sunglasses don't have any issue with "color" distortion on the edges? I had a pair of Oakleys done and I have that problem. Not huge, but far from perfect (especially when you consider the price). I use those sunglasses for running. If you don't have that problem, what frame did you get (I see various brands listed in the site you linked).

The one advantage of the Rudy Project flip up mechanism is that it makes it easy to go into a shop -- sometimes I ride with friends and either stop for a coffee or lunch. I've ridden in pouring rain and it never got in between the insert and the dark lenses.

I LOVE my Oakleys, but the only way I could get them was we had to adjust my astigmatism prescription, and I left out the bifocal part of it to save $$. Next time I am getting the bifocal...

My eye doctor did test me to see if I could deal with the adjusted astigmatism prescription - and while it did odd things with my eyes when I would change over to my cycling glasses that soon passed. The lack of a bifocal is really only an issue if I need to read something - but I just take off my glasses for that. I am quite near-sighted myself though I don't know what my prescription is.

I have been extremely happy with my Zeal Rx glasses. I don't have the inserts. Mine are in the frame, but they do make those. I'm not gentle on my glasses, yet these have held up for over a year. That's a record for me.

Owlie, just wanted to report back on this. I asked my optometrist today about prescription sunglasses for my awful vision. They suggested Liberty sport sunglasses as pretty much my only option (and only then if I back off on the astigmatism prescription a bit).

I didn't see any frames I particularly liked, but they could be worse.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Quote Originally Posted by jessmarimba View Post
    Owlie, just wanted to report back on this. I asked my optometrist today about prescription sunglasses for my awful vision. They suggested Liberty sport sunglasses as pretty much my only option (and only then if I back off on the astigmatism prescription a bit).

I didn't see any frames I particularly liked, but they could be worse.
    My vision isn't as bad as you or Owlie's (-4ish, with mild astigmatism), but I have had the "your eyes are too bad for these frames" door shut in my face many times. I got a pair of Liberty Sport wrap sunglasses a couple months ago and have been happy with them. I took a bit of adjusting to the base curve--at first it looked like I was constantly standing on top of a hill--but my brain learned to compensate for that after about a week. Now I wonder how I ever biked/drove/etc in Arizona for almost three years without sunglasses! The style isn't exactly trendsetting, but they were affordable and get the job done.

Good luck in your searches!

ETA: I attached a picture of me in my Liberty RX sunglasses at the Grand Canyon, so you can see they turn out ok in "real life."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sunglasses.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	13546  
    Last edited by badgercat; 08-08-2011 at 08:13 PM.
    '09 Jamis Satellite Femme | stock Jamis Road Sport -- road
    '08 Trek 7.2FX | Terry Cite -- commuter
    '77 Raleigh Grand Prix mixte | stock Brooks (vinyl) -- just for fun!

Heavyglare.com

I forget what Bubba's Rx is but he was constantly told it couldn't be done -- until he found these guys.

http://www.heavyglare.com/
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

I'm a member of the very nearsighted club too. I worked my way through the local optical shops until I finally found a pair that would work. Early spring is the best time to shop because that seems to be when most shops have the best selection. Mine are Columbia Brand and were in a display for motorcycle frames. FWIW: I definitley would go with a bifocal if you need it. The first pair of perscription sunglasses I got, I didn't think I would need the bifocal. But my distance perscription is so strong I can't see close with the glasses on, which means I had to take them off to do anything close. Like read my Garmin, order from a menu, see the gagues in the car! The second pair has the bifocal, which made it harder to find a frame but SO worth the wait.

Heavy glare is where I got my glasses from too- also too strong a prescription for other sources
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Quote Originally Posted by pll View Post
    Eden: Your sunglasses don't have any issue with "color" distortion on the edges? I had a pair of Oakleys done and I have that problem. Not huge, but far from perfect (especially when you consider the price). I use those sunglasses for running. If you don't have that problem, what frame did you get (I see various brands listed in the site you linked).

The one advantage of the Rudy Project flip up mechanism is that it makes it easy to go into a shop -- sometimes I ride with friends and either stop for a coffee or lunch. I've ridden in pouring rain and it never got in between the insert and the dark lenses.
    Nope - no distortion in my glasses, even near the edges. I don't have a super extreme prescription though... just a small face with pupils that are closer together than most peoples...
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N