Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Creative Calorie Calculations

To disable ads, please log-in.

Something I've long-suspected: many restaurants fudge a bit on their listed calories. Sometimes by 100, and occasionally 1000!

In 19% of cases, calories were inaccurate, with the biggest percentage being off in the low-calories menus.

I do generally know the calories I consume. I've been calculating for a long time. I'm long past the point where I need to look up the majority of foods I eat.

It is certainly in a lot of our natures to believe the food data listed though.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...le+Feedfetcher

"Additionally, items often viewed as healthier from both sit-down and fast food restaurants, such as salads and soups, tended to have more unreliable calorie listings."

"We were pleased to see that average calorie listings are accurate," says Roberts, "but we think it is very important that lower calorie foods not contain more calories than listed because such foods are purchased by people trying to control their weight. They will find that harder to do if they are eating more than they think."

Roberts and colleagues also report the stated calories listed for fast food tended to be closer to laboratory measurements than the stated calories of items purchased in sit-down restaurants. "Our data suggests the difference may be related to quality control in the kitchen," says Roberts, who is also a professor at the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy at Tufts University. "Sit-down restaurants typically rely on workers to prepare food on-site, whereas most fast food is portioned out by factory machinery."
    Last edited by Muirenn; 07-20-2011 at 10:11 AM.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

Thanks! Interesting article.

I bought two packages of local Lake Superior smoked fish yesterday. Each package said that a serving was "one cup" of fish (which is a weird measure for smoked fish that is still on the bone) and that one cup was 70 calories and that each package contained two of these servings.

One of the packages contained two whole herrings. I can't believe an entire herring is 70 calories. The other package contained a fairly large salmon fillet. I can't believe that big fillet was only 140 calories. And a cup of fish, 8 ounces, is no 70 calories.

It think they bought a stack of labels for their fish and the labels all said the same thing.
    Last edited by goldfinch; 07-20-2011 at 07:10 PM.

Salmon is a relatively fatty fish. Healthy though

That's a case to go onto nutrition data dot com and look up the values for raw fish in weight.

But 70 does sound nice...
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!