Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Pilates recommendation?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I will be unable to bear any weight on my right for at least the next 2 months (broke my ankle :-/). My Doc & another TE'er recommended core & Pilates respectively. Can anyone recommend a Pilates book or DVD? I am generally never sitting still, so this will be challenging!Thanks! tokie

I recommend looking in your area for private lessons with an instructor who is experienced in working with/around your type of injury. Ideally you should be able to work around the injury while healing, and then as you progress with your PT/rehab you would be able to gradually incorporate the areas you have been working around.

I'm personally biased towards classical pilates -- there is a listing at www.classicalpilates.net

I've also heard good things about Stott Pilates, but don't have personal experience with it.

As for books and videos, I just flipped through one of Alycea Ungaro's 15 Minutes Everyday Pilates w/DVD and I think that will probably be my next purchase. Has great pictures. Brooke Siler also has some good books out.

The Mari Winsor DVDs are not bad. Borrowed some from a friend once -- didn't really care for the slick production values, as it seemed styled to appeal to people who jump from one exercise fad to another, but the actual workouts were paced well.

What you would miss by only working with books and DVDs is that you would probably only be able to do mat work. Nothing wrong with that, but if you go to a pilates studio there are apparatus that you can work on, which gives you more options in terms of support during certain exercises as well as additional challenge/resistance for those exercises where you are able to isolate your ankle from what the rest of your body is doing.
    2014 Bobbin Bramble / Brooks B67
    2008 Rodriguez Rainier Mirage / Terry Butterfly Tri Gel
    2007 Dahon Speed Pro TT / Biologic Velvet
    1998? GT Rebound / Serfas Gel

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    NbyNW knows what she is talking about. Sorry about your ankle, but this might be a good opportunity to work on your core, and maybe you'll keep up with Pilates and reap many benefits throughout the years!

Good advice Tuliip! I'm still struggling with the efforts of daily living, so exercise is still a bit in the future. Going to a Pilates instructor will require a bus ride, which is beyond my strength and skill just yet. Just getting out of the house is huge!