http://cyclingforpeace.wordpress.com/

On September 18th, my cycling journey for peace will begin. I will start in Connecticut and ride to Rhode Island. Next, I will make my way through Massachusetts to New York. Finally, the last long leg will consist of riding from New York through Vermont and New Hampshire to Thorndike, ME. In eight days, I will cycle 617 miles.

My mission is simple; to raise awareness that standing for peace and working for change is not easy. Perseverance, Hard Work, and Dedication are attributes we all contain. The human spirit is powerful beyond measure. My focus is not to be fast, rather to finish.

I have the joy of serving as the program manager for PeaceJam Northeast. The Northeast region covers all of New England and New York. PeaceJam is an organization that creates young leaders committed to positive change. This positive change is within themselves, their communities and the world through the inspiration of Nobel Peace Laureates who pass on the spirit, skills, and wisdom they embody.

Every year youth from around the world learn about everyday people that believe in change, and how hard they worked to make that change happen. The funds raised for this bike tour will help youth participate in PeaceJam, and have the opportunity to spend a weekend with a Nobel Peace Prize winner. PeaceJam works on exploring root causes of community and global issues, then equips youth with the tools to discover their own leadership abilities in order to create change.

A few years ago I was diagnosed with Lupus. Shortly thereafter I needed to have brain surgery for a malformation and cyst. Since then, I have developed Cryoglobulenemia and some neurological problems. Cycling is a passion of mine. My surgeon told me I would not be riding my bike much after surgery due to work on my c-spine. I then made a promise to myself to try that much harder to become rehabilitated.

Throughout all of this, one thing remains true: everyone can wake up every day with the ability to make a positive change in the world. But how many people are aware of this ability, and how many will accept that role?

Please help me as I make this journey through New England! At the end of each cycling day, I will be speaking at libraries, churches, and community centers in hopes of inspiring positive change in communities. You can follow my blog at:

http://cyclingforpeace.wordpress.com

Help me raise money for PeaceJam Northeast! Your funds will help youth learn about and meet Nobel Peace Laureates!

In Peace,

Colleen