Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Re-opening an old thread to get more feedback.

I cannot stand heat/sun/humidity combo when doing sports - at least when pushing hard. I'm just a winter girl but no choice to deal with the hot/stickey Montreal summer and more. I went for a bike ride 2 weekends ago and it was way too hot out there for me. My head wanted to explose under the helmet. My face turns beet colour because of heat. I will not ride without a helmet either. I truly get to the point of vomiting and not feeling good at all if too hot. NOT good.

I bought Specialized Aspire helmet last year when I got my 1st road bike. Like it because it has the ponytail option! Deuh! It is light and all but wondering about air flow. I went to my local bike last week and he showed me a Catlike (can't recall the model though). Extremely light, lots of holes, etc. But at $300 for it, it is a lot of money for me. They're having a 50% off sale on October 5th (by then it will be cold enough that I won't need a super airy helmet. If I can be lucky it would be $150 but I'd doubt he'd reduced that. Proabably will be hidden in the back store. hihi

If the helmet has that many holes, does that mean you have to wear a suncap (or whatever the name) under the helmet? If so, what's the point of so many holes if the heat is going to be confined in the hat??

For those who overheat from head, any recommendation on a helmet? Anyone has a catlike for road cycling? I don't mind coughing money for "accessories" if it is going to help me with the sun/heat.

Thank you.

In general, more expensive helmets have bigger vents/better air flow and are lighter. Based on the Aspire's price, it's not the best for very hot weather.

But before talking about helmets -- managing the heat is more than venting your head. Make sure you're taking steps to cool yourself from head to toe.

My LBS carries that Catlike helmet, and I rejected it because it's too expensive for me. I have a Bell Volt and a Giro Pneumo.

I don't wear anything under the helmet, but I know people who wear lightweight caps under helmets, either to absorb sweat or help with wicking/cooling. I think Muirenn likes the Zoot Icefill caps, and she has other summer clothes she likes for heat and humidity.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I try to keep cool, especially when I feel the heat is hitting me already. Like drink water. I also have a thermos-like water bottle. I try to ride very early to avoid the mid-day heat. We stop in a shady area (ie for breaks) and I remove my helmet to let my head more air to go through. Only thing never done is getting soaked from water fountain....yet. hihi

I've always had issues doing an activity in the sun. That same ride on cloudy day and I'm in heaven!

I have the Giro Ionos and got it due to the Texas heat.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

I have the Giro Prolight and love it. It's so light, I usually forget I have it on, except on really hot days. It breathes really well, and I only feel like I'm overheating when it's in the 80's or hotter. (I like colder weather, so above 80 degrees, I feel like I need a personal AC unit surrounding me when I'm riding outside.) I don't know how it would be in scorchingly hot and humid weather, though.

The Prolight doesn't have the Roc-Loc (wheel) system but instead has a 3-position system, mounting points where the straps snap in. The helmet fits me perfectly in the smallest setting with no headgear, then in the winter when I wear a wool beanie, I move it to the middle setting. I think it's a lot cleaner than the Roc-Loc system since I just put on my helmet and go. However, the helmet's 3-position system may not fit others as well, which is probably why Giro discontinued the Prolight. If you can't find it at your LBS, Nashbar still has a few for just over $100, and they have an easy return policy. I actually ordered and returned a few LG, Giro, and Bell helmets from them before getting my Prolight.

Giro replaced the Prolight with the Aeon, which is supposed to be even lighter and has the Roc-Loc system. It's usually pretty pricey, but BikeTiresDirect has both the Giro Aeon and Atmos for about half price right now.

Has anyone ever had a white/lighter-colored as well as a black/darker-colored helmet? How much difference do you think helmet color (light vs dark) has on comfort when it's really hot during the summer? My helmet's black, and I've wondered if having a lighter colored helmet which reflects more sunlight would be more comfortable when it gets really hot out.

It's always seemed to me that bici helmets are like champagne - you DO get what you pay for, but price increases logarithmically against features/quality.

I'm very prone to overheating, but I'm also fine in a $60 helmet (Spec' fits me well). I do a lot of things to make sure I don't overheat - see the thread on heat and humidity - but when I had a $200 helmet, it just really didn't make that much difference to me in that department.

YMMV.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Thank you all for your input. I started to read late last night the heat thread but it was too late and so much information. Must have missed that one as it was during our month vacation and we had minimal internet access then. Will get back to it.

That is the reason I am asking for helmets as I don't want to end up paying a lot of money for something that would not do much more than my current one. $300 is a lot of money for a helmet but when worth it, I can swallow the pill and go for it. Otherwise, I'd try something else.

I purchased a Specialized Aspire. $65. Very comfortable with lots of vents and easy to fit with the dial in back.

Quote Originally Posted by estronat View Post
    I purchased a Specialized Aspire. $65. Very comfortable with lots of vents and easy to fit with the dial in back.
    It is what I have now but just a bit more expensive in my area and I tend to overheat when sunny and humid. It fits good but my husband Las helmet is even lighter

My local bike shop has a 50% off on almost everything this coming Sunday (same thing every year at that date).

So I called the boss and asked if I could get my catlike on sale and he said come see me today. I did not want to wait for the line ups and crowds. It really gets crazy.

So I did buy the Mixino in white. It was $300 and I paid $150. I think it is a pretty good deal, if it helps my head keep cooler on the hotter days. Now I don't really need it as it is getting cold outside but will try it next summer. My current Specialized Aspire can do the job for time being. hihi

http://www.catlike.es/us/en/helmets/...d/R0150012SVR/

It is unbelievably light, lots of holes and the way it is built and options are really nice. I think I will like it. The look is not the best but I don't really care what it would look on me as my goal is to keep my head cooler. By the way, anyone using a net to protect bugs from entering it? Where would I get one? Anyone know?

Edited: while googling, found that they make one for this specific helment
    http://www.catlike.es/us/en/accessor...net/R08310022/

Now, seeing this, I'm just wondering if it does not "void" the cooling effect I'd be looking for. Hummmm
    Last edited by Helene2013; 10-03-2014 at 04:52 AM.

My LBS had the net. How cool. It was 35$ and with their 50% off sale I got it cheaper than expected as he did apply the rebate on this too.

I had gone to get my new rear wheel with ultegra 11 speed gears for my winter trainer and asked if they had the net. They had one left. Whewhou. It does fit very well in the helmet and it does not affect the cooling the way it is made.

Now the fun part will be the adjusting of helmet and my head. It has many points to adjust for a perfect fit. I think I'll need to go back to them.lol the booklet is not that easy to understand. Lol
    Last edited by Helene2013; 10-03-2014 at 05:47 PM.

I'm intrigued by this bug net. I've never really had a problem with bugs in my helmet. I do often ride around with gnats stuck to my face, and sometimes get them inside the front of my jersey (or bra -- very irritating!!). I guess they might also get in my hair but I've never noticed any.

I hope you like your new helmet -- may you never actually need it!!

Gone but not forgotten:

Does anyone know if--after a couple of years--a helmet needs to be replaced (if it has not been damaged)? I heard (not certain if it's true) that the materials (ie foam) can break down over time. Thanks for any input!

I could be wrong but I don't think there's consensus on that. Some say you should replace them after a few years, others say it's not necessary.

If the helmet is discolored or has spent lots of time in very hot temps, like in a hot car, then I would definitely replace it.

I usually will get a new helmet after 5 years or so if there's been no damage to warrant replacing it sooner.

Gone but not forgotten:

Quote Originally Posted by CAS View Post
    Does anyone know if--after a couple of years--a helmet needs to be replaced (if it has not been damaged)? I heard (not certain if it's true) that the materials (ie foam) can break down over time. Thanks for any input!
    Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Most, if not all, helmet manufacturers suggest replacing your helmet every 3-5 years. The foam stuff they use breaks down with small bumps and knocks, exposure to UV light, oils in your skin, sweat, heat (like leaving it in a hot car for a while kind of thing), and it does dry out over time. 3, in most places, is excessive. (Unless you live in the Southwest.) 4-6 years is probably a more realistic lifespan for a helmet than what the manufacturers say.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...