Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Helmet recommendations needed

To disable ads, please log-in.

Okay, it has been over 100 degrees here every day since I got my new bike. Of course, the new bike still demands to be ridden - regardless of the temperature! For the most part, I can cope with the heat, but when I'm climbing a hill (...got lots of those here in Austin...) the extra exertion causes my temperature to really spike and I can barely cope.

Since I refuse to accept that I may be a wimp, I'm partially blaming the problem on poor ventilation by my old Giro Gila helmet. I've read a lot of good reviews about the Giro Ionos ( http://www.giro.com/us_en/products/c...FZFY7AodI3ZRxQ ) , and the Specialized S-Works and Propero ( http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...1009&scid=1018 ) look like they would be well ventilated. Anyone have any experience with these models?

I'm open to suggestions, but I have found that Bell helmets just don't fit me -they seem to be made for round heads, and I have a sorta oblong head. Thanks.

We've been happy with this one. Reasonable price, reasonably cool, and DH has cracked three of them in nasty crashes and lived to tell the tale.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

While most people think that the northeast isn't all that hot; we have had quite a few days this summer. So I can confidently give you some suggestions, and perhaps you can compare them with others.

We stock Louis Garneau helmets in the shop, switched from Giro 7-8 years ago and have had GREAT results. With that said, the top two this season has been the Quartz(which is being worn in the pro ranks) and the Diamond. The Quartz sells for $140 with 23 vents,and the Diamond sells for $190 and has 47 vents. I own both of these, and can honesly say that they are very comfy and breath well.

Good luck in your search, and hopefully the weather cools down a bit for you!

http://chasecyclery.blogspot.com

I have a Spec' Echelon. Obviously it's not identical to the Propero, but the venting is very similar.

For an inexpensive helmet it sure seems "race-y," in that over about 20 mph it vents superbly, but at slow speeds (like climbing hills when I really want the ventilation), not so much.

It's not bad - I once had a motorcycle helmet that was just an oven, and it's nothing like that - but if you're specifically looking at venting for climbing, I'm not sure I'd recommend the Echelon. But it might turn out that the subtle differences in the Propero's vents make a lot of difference, too.

I've got a "long oval" Shoei head too, and Spec' helmets fit me much better than Giro. I don't think I've even tried a Bell on since the early '80s when that was all there was...

I'm intrigued by the looks of Catlike helmets. Most of my Floridian friends wear LG or Uvex, so that's something to think about too.

I'd also add that my last helmet was a Giro in the $200 range - a Pneumo maybe? - and it was about 20% more comfortable than either the $40 Serfas I wore before that, or the $60 Spec' I'm wearing now. I have a feeling that bici helmets are similar to moto helmets - or fine wines - you do get what you pay for, but once you've reached a basic level, the price increases logarithmically against the comfort.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 07-19-2011 at 02:13 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

My hubby has a Laser helmet...I think my next helmet will be one of those. It is crazy vented. My $100 Bell array helmet is decent, but still pretty low-rent and the fit isn't great.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I'm buying a Giro next time, since DBF's Atmos fits my head better than my current Bell. Probably an Atmos, since I need the vents--I have really thick hair.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I totally love my Specialized Prevail- it is super, super light and fits very nicely- no hot spots at all! My only wish would be that the straps were more adjustable. The sidestraps don't have any adjustment and for my small head they just barely work. It is a bit pricey too - I don't know if I'd have sprung for it if I had had to pay full retail.
    Last edited by Eden; 07-18-2011 at 05:07 PM.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I have a Spec' Echelon. Obviously it's not identical to the Propero, but the venting is very similar.

For an inexpensive helmet it sure seems "race-y," in that over about 20 mph it vents superbly, but at slow speeds (like climbing hills when I really want the ventilation), not so much.

It's not bad - I've had a motorcycle helmet that was just an oven, and it's nothing like that - but if you're specifically looking at venting for climbing, I'm not sure I'd recommend the Echelon. But it might turn out that the subtle differences in the Propero's vents make a lot of difference, too.

I've got a "long oval" Shoei head too, and Spec' helmets fit me much better than Giro. I don't think I've even tried a Bell on since the early '80s when that was all there was...

I'm intrigued by the looks of Catlike helmets. Most of my Floridian friends wear LG or Uvex, so that's something to think about too.

I'd also add that my last helmet was a Giro in the $200 range - a Pneumo maybe? - and it was about 20% more comfortable than either the $40 Serfas I wore before that, or the $60 Spec' I'm wearing now. I have a feeling that bici helmets are similar to moto helmets - or fine wines - you do get what you pay for, but once you've reached a basic level, the price increases logarithmically against the comfort.
    You raise a good point about ventilation being a function of speed. I wonder if MTB helmets are designed for better ventilation at slow speeds. Any idea about that?

Thanks for the "heads up" about Spec helmets fitting oblong heads better.

I'll have to google "Catlike" helmets. Haven't heard of them before.

Thanks for all the info.

Quote Originally Posted by ridebikeme View Post
    While most people think that the northeast isn't all that hot; we have had quite a few days this summer. So I can confidently give you some suggestions, and perhaps you can compare them with others.

We stock Louis Garneau helmets in the shop, switched from Giro 7-8 years ago and have had GREAT results. With that said, the top two this season has been the Quartz(which is being worn in the pro ranks) and the Diamond. The Quartz sells for $140 with 23 vents,and the Diamond sells for $190 and has 47 vents. I own both of these, and can honesly say that they are very comfy and breath well.

Good luck in your search, and hopefully the weather cools down a bit for you!

http://chasecyclery.blogspot.com
    Based on your recommendations, I checked out LG helmets online. The Quartz model you mentioned is recommended for both road and MTB. I wonder if that means it has great high and low speed ventilation. Any comments?

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    I have a Giro Atmose helmet. It's well vented, but too round. The thing leave dents in my forehead the moment I put it on. Ugh.

My next helmet will (probably) be the Trek Women's Circuit helmet. I tried one on in the local store, and it fit! Couldn't believe how comfortable it was. Guess I'm also an oblong head, though I never thought of it that way. The atmos bulges at the sides of my head and I have to over-tighten to compensate.

http://store.trekbikes.com/jump.jsp?...&bShopOnline=1

A very pretty color too. But I do love teal.
    Actually, that helmet's teal accents would match my new bike very very well! Argh, how to decide between good ventilation and "lookin good"? Have you tried this model out?

I just got a helmet made by Kask - it's the EVO, I think. They are 100% Italian made. I love it. It's super comfortable and well ventilated. It's about as light as the Atmos and the price was right. Plus, it came in pink. The Giro helmets and the Bell helmets don't fit my head so I gave this one a chance and because it's very adjustable in the back, I have found it to be the most comfortable helmet I've ever had.

I have not worn the Quartz on my mtn bike yet, but I have used it quite a bit with beginner road rides. ( groups riding quite often below 10 MPH) I find the helmet cool and comfortable, and like others have mentioned... more expensive helmets are cooler and often times more comfortable. Although of course the most important feature is FIT.

When I switched the helmet line at the shop, I was coming from a Giro Pnemo... which I loved. Although that was very short lived when I bought a Louis Garneau... it was much cooler and fit better. But of course, we all have different head shapes, so find something that fits you!

I badly wanted another Trek helmet, but I will preface this with saying, I couldn't buy one because the redesign of those models no longer fits my head properly. I have a small, shallow head apparently and the redesigned venting (while better they say) made the helmet fit deeper. Other than that, I will say that it was the best ventilated helmet I ever owned and I loved it dearly. However, it was not meant to be this time.
    ***proud Hoosier, statistics nerd, and mom to a headstrong toddler***
    ****one car family and loving it!****

Owned by:
    Le Monstre Vert - 2013 Surly Cross-check
    Chessie, Scottish Terrier
    Bonzai, Catahoula Leopard Dog

I think the Atmos is well ventilating, just didn't fit my head. I was told Bell's for round heads, Giro for more oval. I got the dents in my forehead and a headache every ride. I have a Specialized Echelon, it is okay not as good as my Bell but pretty light for the price. I HATE that it doesn't allow me to stick my ponytail through. I seriously thought this was a stupid marketing scheme until I tried it, no hair on my neck in Texas makes me a happy girl.

My husband loves his Specialized Prevail which is just a slight upgrade of the S-Works. He said it really is cooler and lighter than anything he has used.

I don't know for sure that anyone in Austin (I am from the area) stocks Catlike helmets. Louis Garneau I know you can get, just not sure where. Bicycle Sport Shop sells Bell, Giro and Specialized. They're the only shop I use regularly enough to know their brands by heart. Happy hunting!
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Just in case it is of interest to anyone reading this thread, Competitive Cyclist has a couple of Giro models on sale -- a few days ago they were even cheaper (they have a deal every day of the Tour de France).