Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Back on the bike

To disable ads, please log-in.

Yesterday, I was finally able to ride my bike--after a very long hiatus. I'm 99% healed from my surgery, and my doctor gave me her blessing--although, I have to use an ankle brace for support since my bike has clipless pedals. I only rode ten miles, as I knew I needed to gain both confidence as well as fitness. I've scheduled myself to ride every other day, as I'm older now and I want to ensure I don't backslide from doing too much too soon, until I can get my mileage up--as well as fitness. I know recovery takes a bit longer than when I was younger. My goal is to do a century in the spring--as well as touring with a commercial group so I won't have to carry any gear/clothing. Although I'm riding a flat bar road bike (aka hybrid with road components and geometry), after the holidays I'll be seriously looking for a true road bike. I'm interested in both the Specialized Ruby and the Trek Silque--which I'll test ride. Does anyone have any knowledge or thoughts on the Silque? I think this is a new model in the Trek line of women's bikes, but I'm not certain. Anyhow, although it was only ten miles--it was a fantastic ten miles!

Welcome back!! The Silque was introduced this year. I know someone who has one. I think it might be similar to the Domane but I'm not sure. The Domane has inserts to absorb road vibrations and "endurance geometry" which I think is more upright than the Madone.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Thank you, both! I have to confess that I went out again today, and ended up falling (a tourist stepped in front of me), and I swerved to avoid hitting her. I couldn't disengage my shoe from the pedal, so the bike went down with me all in one piece. My confidence did take a hit--I did start out on the road, but came back on a shared bike/walk/skate path as I was tired. So, I know now never to do this again.

Murienne, you did bring up a good point, and I have thought of that. My last road bike was a mens, but this was when women's road bikes were never thought of. I'm 5'6", with monkey arms and very narrow shoulders. I've even thought of having a professional fitting, but I'm not certain if at my age (I just turned 63) it would be worth it. My LBS does a decent job of getting the right size, so, is a pro fitting going to be much better? The pro fitting is $275, which isn't that bad--and thought I could have this done before I buy a bike. Of course, this would open up more bikes to look into and test ride. I don't plan on purchasing the bike until after the holidays--so I have plenty of time. I'm concentrating now on getting my fitness level back as well as bike handling skills.

My fitter will "pre fit" you for a bike. You go in and he gets all your measurements, talks about what kind of riding you want to do and then he will tell you what size of bike you need in the various brands you're interested in and then once you buy the bike he will fit you to that bike.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Oh, that's interesting! I'll check with mine--only downfall with mine is that they only carry Specialized, Niner, Dahon and Global. Not a large selection. Of course, there are other shops in my area--but I really like this LBS--but, I definitely would go elsewhere if I found the perfect bike for me. Thanks!

Murienne, You've just made the case for me to have a professional fitting--thanks! Also, since my "fall", I've been using my tennis shoes to ride with--and surprisingly, it's worked out very well until I feel very confident to ride clipless again. As I previously mentioned, my pedals are two sided--one side uses spd cleats, and the other side is flat and serrated to grip the bottom of my tennis shoes. Unfortunately, it's been hotter than Hades in So Cal, so my rides have been very short (YES, shorter than ten miles ��) or non existent. Next week temps will be milder, yay! I have to admit, however, I sometimes think my bike has been possessed, LOL! Seems everytime I've gone out, I've had "issues--including flat tires. This too shall pass--I'm just thrilled to be able to be back on my bike. I'm already making plans for trips once I purchase a new bike (after the holidays)!

Quote Originally Posted by CAS View Post
    Murienne, You've just made the case for me to have a professional fitting--thanks! Also, since my "fall", I've been using my tennis shoes to ride with--and surprisingly, it's worked out very well until I feel very confident to ride clipless again. As I previously mentioned, my pedals are two sided--one side uses spd cleats, and the other side is flat and serrated to grip the bottom of my tennis shoes. Unfortunately, it's been hotter than Hades in So Cal, so my rides have been very short (YES, shorter than ten miles ��) or non existent. Next week temps will be milder, yay! I have to admit, however, I sometimes think my bike has been possessed, LOL! Seems everytime I've gone out, I've had "issues--including flat tires. This too shall pass--I'm just thrilled to be able to be back on my bike. I'm already making plans for trips once I purchase a new bike (after the holidays)!
    Keep going CAS, you have the right attitude! Just small steps and you will be there in no time.. just have fun and keep planning and dreaming of those longer trips on a new bike! Sounds like you have the bike bug pretty good there.

Depending on your insurance coverage, you might be able to find a physical therapist in your area who specializes in bike fitting. I know we do up in the Seattle area, and my insurance covered the bike fit and follow up 100%. Seems like in Southern California, there would be someone like that. Good luck, and keep riding!
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

Thanks, Apple Tree! I actually have researched bike fitters in my area, and there are a lot! Coincidentally, I am still seeing a physical therapist for my ankle, and he died recommend one of the companies I found--so, I'm going to go with the one he recommended. I don't have aches and pains, per se, just post op ortho arthritic type pain--and cycling really helps me with this. . I'm joining a cycling organization that tours occasionally--there is also a cycling coach that leads the group on many rides, so, I'll get some great coaching advice to help with increasing my mileage and fitness. In any event, being on my bike really clears my mind (when I'm not falling or getting flats!!).