Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

greyfeather, I ride in any conditions but the worst thing to ride in is traffic, and among the worst experiences is when someone harasses me verbally or with their car. That is so demoralizing. The only thing that makes it tolerable for me is that I'm involved in local, state, and national bike/ped advocacy. (National is League of American Bicyclists, http://www.bikeleague.org/).

I would advise that you NOT engage anyone, don't respond, don't reply. That is really hard to do and it took me years to just let them go. It is by far the best response. You aren't going to change that particular person at this particular time. You'll have other opportunities to change people's minds about cyclists.

People DO change. I have faith that my advocacy efforts and donations help them change. One day you will talk to someone who will admit "I used to yell at cyclists" or "I used to think cyclists shouldn't be in my way", who feels differently now, because they know a real cyclist-- you-- a real cyclist who is a nice person, not whatever stereotype is in their head.

Thanks for sharing your struggles with us. I've been there, some days I'm still there.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Well, I have engaged with a few (I really haven't had that many incidents in 11 years) and if anything, I hope it shook them up, the way they shook me up. Believe me, some dweebie high tech guy driving around Concord or Acton is not gonna shoot me. Especially the one who had his cringing 10 year old in the car. Great role model! On the other hand, I have called the police and reported stuff, too.
    Knotted Yet, I spit my coffee out with your fish comment. Don't get me started. You hardly see those around here, thankfully, but I had my fill of them in AZ. Yeah, sure, your religion is better than mine...
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

A few weeks ago I met my niece and her fiance to take their engagement photos. (I do portrait photography, and this is my wedding gift to them.) While walking to their favorite surf spot in a very cycling-friendly hippie surfer community just north of where I live, all three of us had to cross a dedicated bike lane separated from the main road and line of parked cars by a small curb. There were lots of walkers on the sidewalk and I realized we were walking in the bike lane, so I nudged my niece ahead of me to get up onto the sidewalk. She noticed it was the bike lane about the same time I did and with an "Oops, better move up," to her fiance, who replied with what was pretty much, F*** cyclists. "I knocked a cyclist off his bike once," and he shoves the air, mimicking doing it again. Thankfully, there weren't any cyclists close enoug to see or hear him.

"Why would you do that?" I asked, incredulous.

He immediately realized what he'd admitted to, as I had been talking for several minutes about keeping an eye out for DH who would be riding by soon with his bike club on their regular Saturday ride, and he started backpedaling. "Well, he was giving my best friend grief. He was yelling at us. And besides, my brother is a competitive cyclist, too, so I know all about it. And I was 18." And I'm betting a little drunk, too.

Uh-huh. I see. My first thought: Niece, are you sure this is the one?

She seemed immediately apologetic for him. I let it go, though.

I love Mimi's advice, and the point that that woman saw you, which was your goal.

As for fish on the car, I don't really mind people declaring their religion. What I mind is hypocritical behavior. Which safely-taking-the-lane cyclist would Jesus yell at, right?

Roxy
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

Exactly. Having that decal on the car does not excuse you from rude or dangerous behavior. It reminds me of the woman I used to work with, when faced with any difficult professional situation would say, "I'm going to give it to the Lord."
    Yea, tell the Lord to calm the irate parent down. Off topic, I know, but I guess I really don't like people advertising their religion, as it feels as if it's saying,"I'm better, because I'm ____."
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I don't mind people advertising their religion as I advertise my positions as well. But I sure mind people who deface my car that had the Darwin Fish. I went through two of the symbols, both destroyed. I doubt that it was the atheists vandalizing my car. The Liberal bumpersticker goes over real well too.

I only put these things on my ratty old car. The newer car has "no identifying marks."

being yelled at morons

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Knotted Yet, I spit my coffee out with your fish comment. Don't get me started. You hardly see those around here, thankfully, but I had my fill of them in AZ. Yeah, sure, your religion is better than mine...
    Oh Crankin, you would go crazy around here where almost every store clerk or receptionist at a medical office will gaily wish you a "blessed day." Even when I had surgery, although I had indicated that I did not want to be visited with a minister, the local chaplain showed up and offered to pray with me and my husband. When told to leave, he did so but did stop to offer up a prayer (hold us up to Jesus) just outside the door.

The nerve of some people.

marni
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Well, Marni, there is a reason (actually several) I moved back to the northeast. I always felt slightly out of sync with most of the people around me. Not my friends, grant you, but at work, this came up a lot. Plus the fact, I taught in a school district that was primarily, at that point, comprised of students from one particular religion. One that proselytizes.
    Here, I am just another person. But your story reminds me of something that happened to my parents a long time ago. I was 7 and my mom had a preterm delivery of twins; given the fact it was 1960, they both died shortly after birth. A priest came to my mom's room and asked if the "babies' souls could be baptized, so they would go to heaven." Now, this was not at a Catholic hospital and I am sure they knew my parents were not Catholic. I don't think that I have ever seen my dad so angry. I know this wouldn't happen today, but, the insensitivity of that incident has stayed with me all of these years.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura