Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Going back to unclipped (cages) from clips

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello

The thread from yesterday articulated what I've been thinking since I went clipless: this seems to be adding a subtle layer of uneasiness to my morning rides. I've fallen twice, left side, and the second fall was definitely because I could not get my foot out in time - and I was preparing for a left side dismount, this wasn't a sudden surprise stop.

How many of you tried clips and decided against committing to them and went back to either cages or platforms? I'm debating this and I'd like to hear from others who switched back and what they thought. I know I can give this more time, but I have friends who ride pretty seriously (meaning weekends devoted to riding, mini triathlons, etc) and went to clips a few years ago and they still feel uneasy with them.

I REALLY don't want platforms, but I'm starting to think I want to go back to a cage. It's kind of a middle ground I think - I do not tighten the cages, they are just there and offer some sort of upward resistance when my shoes hits them so I'm unlikely to have my foot slide off the pedal. I can get in and out quickly. I realize my feet aren't going to be planted in the same spot if I change back.

I'm fine using the clipless when I'm moving (for the most part) but I'm always aware that something may come up that will make getting my feet down quickly a necessity and I'm still just not confident about that - not yet, and who knows if ever. Controlled things (meaning stop signs) are bad enough and those are the easiest... what about stopping or starting on a hill, for instance. Or a surprise. I dread each and every stop sign when I see it coming, and as my rides get longer I am going to encounter more of them. I think I'm afraid of somehow losing momentum as I cross the street and fall IN the street!

All the reasons for the clips I'm not seeing yet. It hasn't made me faster, that I can tell. What will make me faster is more riding. Everyone has said "clips are so much safer" which I think is plain and simply horse puckey.

I am not confident that I'm not going to end up getting hurt before this is all over, and the entire reason I want to ride is to get in better shape and enjoy myself - and my goal is this century ride three months off. I don't care how fast I finish this century, I just want to finish it.

Dunno. I know this sounds like a lot of rationalizing... I feel kind of wussy about it...

If you don't like them, take them off. Nothing to think about. You can always try again at a later date if you feel like it.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I went clipless in January of this year, and most the time I thought I liked them. But I had a total of 4 falls. 2 the first day trying to stop (newbie falls), 1 on an 18% grade I could not sustain, and was going too slow to be able to get out of the pedals, and simply fell in slow motion trying to unclip. First 3 falls I had only bruising. Mother's Day, however, in a downpour, in a gentle turn my tires slipped abruptly, I heard a "pop, pop" before I even hit the ground, and I tore my ACL and MCL, entirely due to the clips not unclipping. I have switched out my shoes and pedals, had to wait 6 weeks to get back on my bike, tho I did use my trainer, and now, I even have a faster average than I did before my injury, which seems unreal. I thought I had read everything related to cycling, but I have since found out that women tear their ACL 10 x as often as men. I think they are dangerous. Everyone has their own comfort level, skills, etc, but no more clips for me ever!

I liked my Frogs quite a lot. Passive release, extremely easy to use.

What I didn't like was having to change shoes just to ride my bike, and not being able to shift my foot placement on a whim.

They gained me about 1 mph, but overall I didn't feel they were worth the hassle. I felt fine and safe and not clumsy with them, they were just a hassle for the kind of riding I do most.

All my bikes have pinned BMX pedals, which I adore. (I am such a geek, that I even have a box of spare pins in 2 different lengths and play with my pin pattern and pin heights.)

I also have a long-handled pedal wrench. I highly recommend getting a wrench with an extra-long handle, it makes a HUGE difference. Even I, wonder-wuss that I am, can get my pedals on and off by myself whenever I want to switch them around.

A collection of pedals, a long-handled pedal wrench, and you can Rule the World!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I recently switched to BMX-style platforms and LOVE them. (Read thread here.)

Caveat: I never did clipless (they scared me, shoes+pedals always felt too expensive for my budget, and they didn't seem necessary for my fairly casual riding/commuting style) so I can't speak from experience in that department. I went from cages to platforms and have absolutely no regrets.

I think the cages are more dangerous than the clipless pedals because they tend to grab your feet more if you fall, but going back to platforms is certainly your choice if you don't enjoy being clipped in.

I'm clipless on all my bikes now, but used these mini toe clips for years on my commuter. I'm not comfortable in cages with straps.
    2007 Rivendell Glorius/Trico gel with cutout (not made any more apparently)
    2005 Specialized Sequoia Comp/Specialized Dolce
    2006 Kona Cinder Cone/another Trico gel
    1986? Bridgestone mixte/Brooks B72
    1991 Bridgestone 300 Xtracycle/Terry Gelissimo

Hi everyone

Thanks, I think I'm going to do it. For now. I have the clips and shoes, I can always go back if I want. Now I just have to find the pedals with the "clips" on them!

I do not strap myself in. It's merely a cage.

Diving biker, the mini clips you show is what they look like, however, the LBS put the straps around them - I could easily remove them and just have those mini clips remain.

What shoes should I wear? Should I just take the clip component off my new Bontragers or just go back to sneakers?

I too went back to clips/cages after trying clipless. For me, the bigger issue was being unable to "clip in" in a reasonable distance.

However, the deciding event was when the front of my bike dropped off a trail into a pit. A pedal was actually resting on the ground - and I was balancing one-legged on that pedal. I couldn't unclip by pulling up 'cause I was standing on only that leg, and I couldn't unclip by turning my foot 'cause the ground blocked my ankle.

My mountain bike has platforms and my road bike has the pedals that are clipless on one side and platforms on the other side. I have not had any issues at all clipping in and unclipping with my left foot, but do have issues getting my right foot unclipped. So part of the time I ride with the right food on the platform side and the left foot clipped in.

I am with Knotted on this, I LOVE my Frogs and I also really like my Sun Ringle Zuzu BMX pedals. You can certainly ride a good quality set of platforms pedals for a gazillion miles without being attached to anything.

I am only riding Frogs on the road because my knees really need that attachment - and the Frogs have the right amount of float for me. If I don't clip in then my knees hurt after the ride. If I clip in, they don't I strongly dislike the pedals that have platform on one side and a clip on the other - but some people like them. I use BMX pedals on my mountain bike and will for the forseeable future - I am far from being skilled enough to add that to the mix.

In the end you need to do what makes you feel safe and confident. Personally I wouldn't go with cages or mini-cages and just stick with good platforms - but you are the one who needs to make that decision.

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Quote Originally Posted by wackyjacky1 View Post

Caveat: I never did clipless (they scared me, shoes+pedals always felt too expensive for my budget, and they didn't seem necessary for my fairly casual riding/commuting style) so I can't speak from experience in that department. I went from cages to platforms and have absolutely no regrets.
    You sound just like me... I find the thought of the whole clipless thing scary as heck and impractical for errand riding around town, plus am not a fan of having to have special shoes (that I wouldn't be able to walk in when I get off the bike to do whatever). I'm sure they help with speed, which I certainly could use help with, but the safety issues outweigh that advantage for me. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who continues to use platforms.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

I use toe clips and straps on all my bikes. They are more efficient than platforms because I can pull up, which really helps on climbs. I also like the fact that my feet can't accidentally slip off the pedals, especially when it's wet out.

20 years ago I used clipless on my road and mountain bikes. I had several low-speed crashes on and off road. I used Shimano SPD pedals and shoes, so I could at least walk normally, but it's still an expense I'm not willing to deal with now, especially since I have 10 bikes. No way am I putting clipless on all of them! Besides, I like not having to worry about those clipless crashes anymore.

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    I like the freedom of platforms. You can shift your foot on the pedal and do so with any shoe of your choice. And should you have a mechanical, it's much easier to walk with regular shoes than the stiff road bike shoes.

Of course, clips like SPD's can be made very loose so the ACL doesn't get hurt!
    however, if you like cages, get cages.
    We have a house guest at our place right now that just rode her bike from Maine to Seattle.
    She has cages on her pedals.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi