Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

cost of living around Scottsdale?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey everyone!

I got an email from a company that I have worked with and they said they have an opening in a few weeks for what I do and they were wondering my pay requirements. Before I give them this, I need to figure out what cost of living is out there!

Can anyone help give an idea? (would be looking to get a 2 bedroom house or townhouse with a fenced in backyard, have 2 dogs) within decent commuting distance to SDL airport for work.

I've been doing some searching online, but am still trying to get a better idea.

My experience is a tad old, but Scottsdale zip codes were more expensive than Phoenix zip codes. Also depends where your prospective office is, and how long a commute you're willing to have.
    Beth

Compared to other major cities, not so expensive. And when I was there in March, every other house/townhouse was in foreclosure. Values there have gone down about 50%. Not sure if you are looking to rent or buy, but there are some nice condos near the airport. And you are close enough to the Carefree/ Cave Creek area, where it's rural, beautiful, and lots of country roads and hills for riding. Scottsdale is crowded and there's a traffic light every square mile. The example i can give is that the house I sold in 1990 (in south Tempe) for 132,000 was valued at about 600,000 in 2008. It's now worth about 300,000.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Thanks Crankin.

I also talked with a friend who lives there. I agreed to their salary offer if they help with relocation( coming from Florida) so see what they say...

I am iffy though on the lack of greenery. I have lived in Colorado and in New Mexico and I liked Albuquerque, but I did miss greenery a little. Traffic doesn't bother me Florida-the SO and I just want to get back to being somewhere that is more outdoorsy. We really want to go back to CO or up the the PNW but I haven't been able to find a job in those locations yet( I work in private aviation, so it is a small field).

If you live in north Scottsdale, you will be close enough to "real desert," outdoorsy type areas that you will like. But, being honest, there is a reason that I don't live there anymore. The area is just one big suburban sprawl. But, you are close enough to some really cool stuff for riding, hiking, even skiing. It sounds like a good compromise for you, given that it's hard to find a job in your field.
    It just makes me mad that the place I loved was essentially ruined by greedy developers and people who think moving to a warm climate will solve all of their personal problems!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Hi Emily,
    If you don't mind a drive, you can go to Flagstaff for your greenery. It's north of the Phx area. They have skiing, big trees, etc.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by ehirsch83 View Post
    Thanks Crankin.

I also talked with a friend who lives there. I agreed to their salary offer if they help with relocation( coming from Florida) so see what they say...

I am iffy though on the lack of greenery. I have lived in Colorado and in New Mexico and I liked Albuquerque, but I did miss greenery a little. Traffic doesn't bother me Florida-the SO and I just want to get back to being somewhere that is more outdoorsy. We really want to go back to CO or up the the PNW but I haven't been able to find a job in those locations yet( I work in private aviation, so it is a small field).
    It's only 2 hours to Flagstaff - pine trees, 7,000 feet so if you get tired of the desert, just come north!

+1 for Flagstaff. Sorry i didn't go to NAU!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Can't help you with the current cost of living in Scottsdale, since I haven't lived in the area since I was a kid. Back then (1980's) Scottsdale was the tonier part of town, where we thought the "rich people" lived. I'd love to relocate out there now. I'm in the process of trying to get my CA teaching license paperwork through the AZ dept of education so I can apply for jobs in the area. I'm not sure where you're relocating from, but the area certainly seems to be very affordable in terms of COL. I know people who have moved out there from Southern California and are quite pleased by how much house they were able to move into in comparison to SoCal.
    Jen

We live up in N Scottsdale/Cavecreek on 4 acres of land. Houses are priced very low right now. I would recommend renting first for a year to figure out where you want to live. Jobs are scarce here so if you can get a transfer, bonus. School systems worst in the country.
    Lisa

Bacchetta Ti Aero
    ICE B1
    Bacchetta Cafe Mountain Bent

Thanks! I ended up turning the job down b/c they wouldn't help at all with relocation.