Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Red face Experienced and seasoned rider topples over.

To disable ads, please log-in.

I thought sharing this might help those who are worried about falling over on your bike with the clip-less pedal.

Today, I finally got around to putting one of my bikes back together. Uncrate from the moving box, reattach handle bar, reattach seat post, reattach speedplay pedals, reattach rear derailleur, mount wheels front and back. Tighten screws double check... inflate tire...

And went for a short spin to make sure nothing is out of alignment. Felt good to be on my bike. Rode in the cul-de-sac, then down a short hill, left turn onto a flat street. Went through the gears and came to a stop. Bit rusty with track stand but managed while the traffic cleared then I punched the pedals to get a quick start off the line

except it didn't happen.

Punched it really hard and still no go.

Look down then I lost my balance and fell over to the right. talk about embarassing!!

Did I suck up my rear derailleur? no but I couldn't turn the rear wheel at all.

Rear wheel wasn't properly mounted and not seated in the drop out correctly.
    I forgot to check the tension in the skewer. OOPS! Rear wheel came off!

No scratch on me, just a minor scratch on the specialized Toupe seat and tore up the old handle bar tape on my bike. But really no scratch on me, no torn clothing, no bumps... not even getting dirt or grass stain on my jersey nor on my shorts.

Soooo even if you are experienced, it can still happen from inattention but its hard to get hurt from falling over to the side on your bike. So don't worry about falling over because you forgot or couldn't clip out of your pedal. And even if you do, it really is hard to get hurt. And not to worry about getting your cloth dirty either provided you didn't fall on mud puddle...

And definitely not worry about being a clutz. It happens.

Tomorrow, I hope to repeat with my TT bike but without the mishap.

I fell off to the side onto rough tarmac after having to swerve to avoid some peds who didn't hear me bellowing at them that I was coming up behind. I have a rather nasty hole in my knee as a result and a battered elbow. I guess it depends what you fall onto.

I'm glad you and your bike were unscathed.

Glad you were okay. I had my share of clipless pedal falls when I first started but have not fallen since the first 2 months.

Your post reminded me that I dreamed about falling over this morning- riding through a group of people who were standing around and taking pictures of each other for some kind of event (graduation or wedding). They were in the way and I slowed down to avoid hitting them, and just couldn't get my foot free. At least in the dream the fall was kind of slow motion, and I fell down gently and neither of us (bike or me) was hurt.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

I won't mention any names but a super seasoned racer chick on here fell with her bike in front of a lot of us uncoordinated and beginning riders. She wasn't hurt but it struck me very funny because she's the last person I would have ever dreamed could just topple over.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Falling over does keep one humble few years back, I toppled at a packed intersection, still not 100 percent sure what I did, I just laid there laughing like a crazy woman, felt like the keystone cops. Glad you didn't bend you wheel, that would have really been bad
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Again, no names. The woman who taught my group at the mountain bike clinic - who is awesome BTW - had a clipless fall in the parking lot when she was showing us something. She wasn't happy with herself, but it just goes to show that everyone can be subject to a clipless fall, not just beginners.

Very glad you and your wheel is fine!

Quote Originally Posted by smilingcat View Post
    So don't worry about falling over because you forgot or couldn't clip out of your pedal. And even if you do, it really is hard to get hurt. And not to worry about getting your cloth dirty either provided you didn't fall on mud puddle...

And definitely not worry about being a clutz. It happens.
    I fell off my bike yesterday b/c I forgot I could unclip (i just got the clipless yesterday too, but there's a post about that hehe). Sadly I did get hurt (it happens). But hearing that even experienced forget they can unclip just helped a lot for my dignity and sanity.

I spent all last night feeling like a clutz while my husband sat with me at the er. Finding your post today really made me feel better! Thanks for the insight/reminder!

Glad you were ok too!

Thanks for sharing smilingcat
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." --Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

'09 Trek WSD 2.1 with a Brooks B-68 saddle
    '11 Trek WSD Madone 5.2 with Brooks B-17

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    And he crashed from a stand-still.
    I'd bet money that the vast majority of our crashes are of the 0mph variety. At least mine have been.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2