Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

cannondale synapse 5 vs. specialized amira comp

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello all, I am new to raod biking. I was wondering if anyone can help me choosing a bike for myself.
    After trying countless bikes around town (bianchi, orbea, felt,trek), I am left with these two to choose from. They are both equally comfortable. I think the decision will come down to which one is physically better. anyone knows which one of these two has better frame?
    thanks

The Amira is meant as an aggressive race-oriented bike. The Synapse is a more upright, "endurance" (read "relaxed") road geometry. A "plush" bike, if you will. What do you want to do? The carbon layup may be a little different, and the Amira is probably going to feel more stiff. Helps on climbs and in going fast, but may not be as comfortable over long rides.

The components are about the same. I don't know about wheels.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

owlie, thanks for the quick reply.
    I am looking to do friendly rides with this bike. perhaps riding to work.
    They do have the same components and those like wheels can easily be upgraded.
    I am basically trying to get the best frame I can get, thus I want to know the difference between how the two carbon technologies differ.

in addition, I'd also like to know about how cs for these two companies. which one has better/nicer cs.
    thanks again ladies.....

I don't know about the customer service aspect (someone else might), as you're mostly going to be dealing with the LBS. One thing I would check is the manufacturer's warranty on the frame. Ask the bike shop (if they're the same), since they should be able to give you a concise version or call Specialized or Cannondale directly. (The fine print is making my eyes glaze over.)
    DBF, as much as he is a Cannondale fanboy (he'd marry his R2000 if it could cook), he'd probably tell you to go with Specialized; Cannondale's "thing", according to him, has historically been aluminum. However, that's his opinion, and the Synapse is probably a fine bike. I don't have direct experience with either bike--I'm researching for later. (Though, thanks for making me take a second look at the geometry chart for the Synapse. I may actually be able to make one work for me...)

I'm not sure you're going to get a straight answer on the carbon thing. What you're likely to get is a lot of marketing mumbo-jumbo dressed up with engineering terms.

Have/can you take them out on longer rides? They will probably feel very different, even though the fit may work for you.

owlie, I havent taken any of them on long rides. I am gonna ride thme both again tomorrow.
    meanwhile, if anyone has anything to say about these two bikes, please chime in.
    thanks

Telebum,

There's a big Synapse following here. You'll find multiple threads about it, but here's the latest: http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=43719

I ride fairly aggressively, but love the stability and comfort of the Synapse.
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" -Winston Churchill

Not on your list, but the Specialized Ruby is probably more similar to the Synapse than the Amira. Mine is very comfortable.

Do take the bikes out for a test ride- I test rode several bikes on the same 10 mile route before buying, which included a steep hill and a few curvy sections, some smooth road and some bumpy pavement, which allowed me to compare the handling and ride in a variety of situations.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Don't be fooled in thinking because a bike is comfortable that its slow. The Synapse is a very comfy bike but it can carve out corners too. I don't own one but I have test ridden them several times and I definitely approve.

I ride a Synapse (Carbon Fem 3 w/Ultegra)...it's a wonderful bike. I've done many long distance rides on it and it has served me well. My only gripe is that I need to have my fit 'tweaked' a bit (I'm a difficult rider to fit, due to a myriad of pain issues that I have) to enhance my comfort.

Linda
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    The Synapse or Ruby. The Amira won't be too comfortable for endurance as it has more racing geometry.

My Synapse has a fairly steep seat-tube. Wish I'd considered the Ruby (which is a little better for longer legs, I'm thinking, since it has a more slack seat-tube). How are you proportionatly? Long legs relative to height? Shorter? About equal?

Makes a difference too. The main thing though, is to try many different bikes before buying, and also find good local shops that let you test, and advise you on fit rather than try to push you into buying whatever stock they have on the floor. (I question the shop that appears to think an Amira is a good idea? Unless the fit is so perfect that it is actually more comfortable for you. That's getting into something a fitter on here should speculate about, rather than me).

Also perhaps look into Jamis. I like the Quest. That is steel (much better, IMO, especially for the uses you mentioned. Want comfortable, smooth, fast?), but they also have fine carbon bikes available. Looks like the Xenith Endura Femme might be the equivalent of the ones already mentioned.

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/index.html
    +1 on both the Ruby and the Quest. Both top contenders for my next "fun" bike.
    I, too, have to wonder about the shop that suggested the Amira, now that I think about it. I don't think many shops would do that, unless you went in and told them specifically that you wanted an aggressive carbon frame, or that you wanted to race. The fact they even have one around is amazing...
    We're not saying that it's not a good fit, but I'm pretty surprised that you say they felt the same.

And if you're planning on commuting, I hope you have a nice secure place to keep your bike!

owlie, if i ride to work, my bike will be in my cubie, next to me

I guess when I said they feel the same, I meant they feel equally comfortable. I tried on orbea and bianchi and they are too "aggresive" for me. I dont know what the fitter do, but he made amira feels comfy.
    I tried the cannondale again today. One thing I noticed was that it is less responsive than amira. maybe I will go try them again tomorrow.

i looked at jamis, i cannot find any dealaer nearby.

I also am new to road cycling as of May. I chose a Synapse after testing Giant Avail, Specialized Dolce, and Trek 3.2 and Cannondale Caad 10. The Caad was really nice but I could tell right away that it was way too aggressive for my inexperience. I came back to the Synapse for numerous reasons. It is the most natural fit, before any adjustments, it is very comfortable but fast. Sleek looking! It has a triple chain ring, 105 components. The 105 shifting is easy as can be while, the others had sram which are illogical to operate. It has bottom bracked called the BB30, the crank is located inside the frame for more power transfering directly to the road. As I thought about it, I came back to this point-my husband had a Synapse that he has put 8000 miles on. It still looks and rides like new! Even the LBS guys are impressed with it. He has gone on numerous long rides. Does a ride called GOBA in June that is a week long ride of about 350+ miles and several other rides each summer that range from 50 to 75 miles. He usually cruises at about 20mph. Since May 10th, I have logged 302 miles on my Synapse. I am an old lady and am still amazed that I have been able to do this quite comfortably, and often cruising @ 14mph! I am sure I could easily go faster, but I am too timid on these skinny tires still. Good luck with your decision...hope you are as happy with yours as I am with mine.
    Last edited by KatzPajamas; 07-14-2011 at 05:17 PM.
    Don't cross the river if you can swim the tide...

2011-Cannondale Synapse Alloy5 WSD with 105 and BB30!

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post

Anyway. You are looking at spending a lot of money. Is there no way for you to look up Specialized dealers in other towns, call and see if they have something to test, and go do that? If you wanted, you could have your LBS order the one you wanted. Sorry. Just sounds a little extreme to me.
    i dont understand what you are trying to say. I have gone to multiple specilized dealers and tried ruby and amira multiple times. is there anything else you suggested me to try?

I want something I can grow into, hence not considering the ruby. Both synapse and amira are comfy but I can also grown into any one of them as I bike more.
    I dont want to end up having multiple bikes because I grow out of the older bike. Between my husband and I, we have enough skis that we both grow out of over they years. I dont want to go through the same thing with bikes.

thenks for the comments ladies. keep them coming. I can use every little advice and suggestion.
    Last edited by telebum; 07-14-2011 at 05:32 PM.

Threadjack:
    Muirenn, yes, it's a 74 deg seat tube angle. Your problem, I think, is slightly more extreme than mine, but the Synapse probably won't work for me. It's a geometry that's very similar to my Giant. Oddly enough, the SuperSix/CAAD10 (they seem to have similar geometries) seems like it would work better for me. It's a slightly less steep seat tube (73.5, which I realize is not a huge difference) angle on the same 53.5cm top tube. I'd need a shorter stem, but it might well work. The Ruby/Dolce fit me pretty well, and the TT is 53.2 with a 74 seat tube angle in my size.
    /Threadjack

Telebum, out of curiousity, why do you say you don't think you can "grow into" a Ruby? I'm not saying it HAS to work for you, just wondering.
    Last edited by Owlie; 07-14-2011 at 05:45 PM.