Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question from Hubby:

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hubs announced last night that he had a question for all the ladies of TE...he said he wanted to ask you because you know everything and they would just make fun of him on the bike forum!

After every weekend ride, he just completely collapses. It is not just that he is tired, he is totally done. He falls asleep mid sentence talking to me. He is in very good shape, runs about 15-20 miles a week and rides about 150-200 miles. At first, I thought it was because he was riding too hard with the boys, but he is in the same condition when we ride together. I will eat lunch, rest for maybe 30 min and be ready to do whatever else I am doing that day...he is permanently attached to the sofa. I suspect it has to do with what he is eating (or not eating) during his rides. For a 3hr 60 miles ride, he will have 2 bottles of homemade gatorade, 3 bottles of water, a banana and a pb&j sandwich. I think he needs to eat more because this is the same amount that I eat. He weighs about 180 and I weigh 120. It has also been really hot lately, starting in the 80's and finishing up near 100, although his crashing problem isn't new.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by abejita; 07-13-2011 at 08:59 AM.
    Mary
    ~Strong and content, I travel the open road.~

http://www.the3day.org/goto/mary.aguirre

I suspect calories, too. When I run and am hungry I'm very aware of it. On the bike hunger sneaks up on me. I definitely find that there are times when I start feeling spacey and tired...having a snack can totally turn me around.

Encourage him to get in some more calories, particularly in the form of protein. I definitely feel better if I have a bit of beef jerky or a nutrition bar with a decent amount of protein.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

(1) What does he eat before and after a ride?

(2) How much sleep is he getting?

I'd suspect one or both of those. It doesn't sound to me like what he's getting on the bike is completely inadequate (depending on the sandwich of course - thickness of bread slices, sugared vs. natural PB, amount of spreads etc), but if he's starting on "E," that could be a problem.

And you read so much lately about the importance of adequate sleep, but it's still hard sometimes to go to bed when you need to, when there are so many things tempting us to stay up later.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

The sandwich ends up being about 300 calories, 7.5 fat, 40 carbs, 17 protein. We use a sprouted grain bread that is higher in fiber and protein and Naturally More Peanut butter, which is also higher in fiber and protein. For breakfast, I think he usually has a bagel sandwich with an egg and ham. He stays away from dairy because it doesn't sit well with him during exercise. Sleep could definitely be a factor. He also eats as soon as he gets back from his ride.
    Mary

It takes longer for you to digest protein than carbs, and also I think it takes longer to digest high-fiber carbs. So that sandwich is probably taking a while to get into his bloodstream.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I second Oak's post. It's really easy for me personally to not get enough on the bike and afterward--I need protein, a mixture of complex and simple carbs, and caffeine after a ride. DBF eats pretty much everything that isn't nailed down after a ride. (Okay, I do too, but I at least leave a few things!)

Sleep is the other thing--it's not so bad now that I'm used to going out around midday, but when I get up at some unreasonable hour to ride, I will manage to fall asleep sitting up. I have a hard time making myself go to bed early. Total nightowl here.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Maybe he's just a wuss

Seriously, I think a PB&J may not be enough. The fat & fiber will slow down the uptake of glucose in his muscles. I'd opt for a couple of bananas and maybe a sports drink. You said "home made gatorade" - what is in it?
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

We use a recipe from Nancy clark's book...let me see if I can remember it, hubs usually makes it for us...

1/2 Cup orange juice
    1/4 C lemon juice
    1/2 C sugar
    1 tsp sea salt

Heat the oj and about 1 cup of water in the micro and dissolve the sugar and salt in it. Add lemon juice and then add the whole mixture to a quart container and fill it with water.

I like it much better than pre-made electrolyte drinks. sometimes i cut it with a little bit extra water.

btw, hubs said he would have no problems with the suggestions to eat more and he said that if he had asked this question on the bike forum they would have just said that he was too fat for cycling. He is not, but he certainly doesn't have the stereo typical cycling frame...more of a baseball player frame.
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmama View Post
    Maybe he's just a wuss

Seriously, I think a PB&J may not be enough. The fat & fiber will slow down the uptake of glucose in his muscles. I'd opt for a couple of bananas and maybe a sports drink. You said "home made gatorade" - what is in it?
    I've suggested that he is just a wuss, but he is not buying that, LOL!
    Mary

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    It sucks getting old, don't it??

My own DH after a hard ride, is completely useless for the rest of the day.
    "C'mon hon. The weeds are taller than the flowers in the garden. We got to do the yard work."
    Nope.
    "C'mon hon. We need groceries."
    Nope.
    "Hon...there's a mountain of dirty laundry that needs to be done."
    Nope.
    Not even a response for -
    "Hey, hon. Let's do a multisport day and take the kayaks out."
    Not movin'.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

This sounds like the conversation that goes on in my house...I am really asking for my own benefit and help with all the weekend chores, LOL!
    Mary

I think the problem is PB&J (aka mud and blood sandwitch). Jam probably has lot of simple sugar that will spike his insulin level about 5 to 10 minutes after eating it. Then all that insulin will work to metabolize the sugar but no new sugar is coming into the blood stream and his glucose level in his bloodstream crashes. So when he comes home basically he has bonked. Your brain can only run on glucose not on fat or anything else and the lack of glucose is causing his brain to want to sleep.

Suggest he snack on boiled potato instead and graze during a ride instead of eating ton of sugar all at once. See if he still does the same thing.

I've been warned many times over about the "danger" of eating high sugar food during a road event. If you know you have a sprint finish, load up on simple sugar about 5 minutes before the finish. That is what I've been told.

Might be time to get his iron checked

Quote Originally Posted by WindingRoad View Post
    Might be time to get his iron checked
    THAT's a good suggestion...as women anemia isn't uncommon. I've dealt with it a few times and know how debilitating it can be. While it's less common for guys, I know a couple of male endurance athletes who have been anemic. Definitely something to have checked.

smilingcat is right about the simple sugars, too. Anyone who tends towards hypoglycemia will suffer from blood sugar rollercoasters even moreso.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Other possibilities include not taking enough rest time. He exercises a lot. What is his rest schedule?

He keep track of his heart rate? Is he within 60 to 90% of his max or is he pushing too hard?

Is he sure he isn't dehydrated? The check is weighing naked before ride and weighing naked after to see how much water weight is lost.