Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

OH...I just LOVE it!!!! And I SO dig that "Alien" color too! Congrats!!!!
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

That is flippin' CUTE! And I love that there are still cars around with manual transmissions. DH and I are both loathe to have any more auto-magics in our driveway after replacing a transmission on a car years ago. We've never replaced a single clutch and we drive our cars pretty much from cradle-to-grave.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I second that - it's a real relief to me to know I can still get a manual tranny. I just... don't like automatics, and that alone narrows my choices when the Heep dies. Like ZoomZoom, we keep our cars cradle to grave (though we have had to replace a clutch or two).

Your Kia is PRETTY! And I adore the color *wonders what the Heep would look like in a similar color*
    2009 Fuji Team

My blog - which rarely mentions cycling. It's really about decorating & food. http://www.crisangsteninteriors.com/blog

congrats on your new car!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Congrats!!

You just went through what I am about to start but I have pretty much settled on the Kia Soul based on the value of what you get, mpg, warranty,etc.

The dear SO has a 1997 subaru legagy wagon that is getting ready to bite the dust and right now we travel to farther away races in my 05 vw golf(which now needs the interior redone).

We have been looking for something to replace the subaru with that we can pack full of bikes and other things to travel to races or take the dogs to the dog park,etc.

I have followed this and am so excited you got one! We are hoping to be looking into one in the next few months ( the SO is looking for a new job, so trying to wait until that occurs).

more photos more photos

Quote Originally Posted by ehirsch83 View Post

more photos more photos
    Here is a full frontal - shocking, I know, but this is an adult forum after all Hitch is getting installed tomorrow for the rack I will add a picture complete with bikes when I can get one. I think her name is "The Alien Bike Transporter" at least for now!

OMG. So cute! Congrats on the new Soul!

I love mine and hopefully you will love yours, too.
    ***proud Hoosier, statistics nerd, and mom to a headstrong toddler***
    ****one car family and loving it!****

Owned by:
    Le Monstre Vert - 2013 Surly Cross-check
    Chessie, Scottish Terrier
    Bonzai, Catahoula Leopard Dog

Congrats! We just added a Suby Forester to the family to replace the truck we totaled in March. We were both super bummed we couldn't find a manual in town. I LOVE driving a manual transmission and miss it dearly (haven't had one in since 2004). My big argument for a small SUV over a car was to be able to put my bike in the back. I saw a Soul this morning and thought of you, ironically it was that color which is sooooo cool.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie_Ama View Post
    Congrats! We just added a Suby Forester to the family to replace the truck we totaled in March. We were both super bummed we couldn't find a manual in town. I LOVE driving a manual transmission and miss it dearly (haven't had one in since 2004). My big argument for a small SUV over a car was to be able to put my bike in the back. I saw a Soul this morning and thought of you, ironically it was that color which is sooooo cool.
    How do you like your Forester? I just bought one, manual trans too, and it's coming at the end of the month. I feel like a kid before Christmas, all ants in my pants and can't wait for it to get here. It's like the end of the month is never coming!
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

The manual transmission shifts very nicely, it is actually smoother than my Lancer was! They have done something that I've not seen before though. Reverse is at the upper left, and there is a ring on the shifter that I have to engage to be able to get in, or out, of reverse. It is very easy and not awkward at all. Apparently other companies are moving to this as well for several reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by VeganBikeChick View Post
    How do you like your Forester? I just bought one, manual trans too, and it's coming at the end of the month. I feel like a kid before Christmas, all ants in my pants and can't wait for it to get here. It's like the end of the month is never coming!
    We got it Saturday so we love it! They are really quiet and ride really smooth, lots of bells and whistles for the price (we got the Premium but not turbo). Taking it on a long road trip starting today. I am not crazy about the quality of the radio sound and the steering wheel controls aren't as easy to use as my Dodge Caliber but those are minor. We LOVE that it has practically zero blind spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    The manual transmission shifts very nicely, it is actually smoother than my Lancer was! They have done something that I've not seen before though. Reverse is at the upper left, and there is a ring on the shifter that I have to engage to be able to get in, or out, of reverse. It is very easy and not awkward at all. Apparently other companies are moving to this as well for several reasons.
    My 2001 VW Beetle I leased through college was kind of like that. You pushed down and up on the shift to engage reverse and also upper left of first gear instead of below fifth gear like every other manual I had driven. I remember on the test drive I had my parents with me so the salesman just let us go, we had to get out and ask how to put it in reverse.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

It is now complete...

As you can tell from this photo, The Alien Bike Transport is now complete and waiting for Saturday for the first inaugural trip

Catrin, congratulations on the new ride. I love that green color. I will probably be getting a Soul as my next vehicle.
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

I have a 2008 Fit and routinely fit two bikes in the back (removing the front wheel only of bike #2). I haven't bothered buying a bike rack, because I rarely have more than 2 people plus bikes inside. The Fit gets good mileage and has excellent storage capacity. I still don't love it as much as I loved my 2001 Subaru Forester.
    2006 Giant OCRc
    2011 Giant Escape City W
    198? Univega Nuovo Sport 42/16 fixed gear conversion
    1979 Peugeot 44/18 fixed gear conversion

Quote Originally Posted by evangundy View Post
    I have a 2009 Fit and the only thing I do not like about it is the road noise I hear on the highway. Not much sound insulation and hard tires (both contribute to the good gas mileage). When the tires need replacing, I'll get softer ones. I'm ok with losing a couple miles per gallon to be able to hear the radio or cd player without having to turn the volume way up.

Test drive both vehicles, in city streets and highway if you can do both. Might also be good to take a blanket you don't mind getting dirty, and take your bike with you. Make sure the bike fits before you buy the car.

Have fun!
    Edna

the road noise is exactly why I didn't buy one. I wanted "nicely equipped" as in leather, power etc and the FIT screamed "just got out of college" to me.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM