Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    the road noise is exactly why I didn't buy one. I wanted "nicely equipped" as in leather, power etc and the FIT screamed "just got out of college" to me.
    Yes. I didn't really have to get the rack for the Soul but it provides me with options - especially when camping. I really like being higher off the ground and I am impressed by the mileage. For me the Soul was the better choice, though the Fit also would have workded fine I am sure.

Catrin, how do you like the Allen Bike Transport? I have an old Reese Hitch Rack that whobbles. I don't transport my bike that much, but every time I do, I keep looking back and see my bike wiggling around. Or maybe is this normal with hitch mounted racks? But I like how your bike rides in this rack. Again, very nice looking Soul ++++ color.
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

Quote Originally Posted by surgtech1956 View Post
    Catrin, how do you like the Allen Bike Transport? I have an old Reese Hitch Rack that whobbles. I don't transport my bike that much, but every time I do, I keep looking back and see my bike wiggling around. Or maybe is this normal with hitch mounted racks? But I like how your bike rides in this rack. Again, very nice looking Soul ++++ color.
    I like it very much. I've yet to actually move a bike on that rack, but will do so tomorrow. I did opt for the more expensive version of the Thule rack because this is said to wobble less and it is certainly a lot easier to get on and off the rack. There is an arm that comes down on the front tire next to the fork, and a strap that goes through the rear wheel. There is also a lock on that arm so I don't need to use my bike lock unless I really want to - and there is a cable that is part of the rack that can serve that purpose as well - I just need to get a lock core from Thule - it isn't included. The lock on the arms and the hitch lock are all included, just not the cable lock.

I really wanted the Saris version of this rack, but they don't make it for the smaller hitch. I think this will work fine and I think I only wanted the Saris because my last rack was a Saris.

Am quite happen with the average mpg for the Soul. It only resets if you get gas or manually reset it so you do have an idea of the real average mpg (my Lancer reset that on a daily basis). My avg mpg just driving around town in this heat is higher than the car is rated to get Of course, a manual transmission does provide better mileage than an automatic.

Sounds like a great rack. Keep us posted on the weekend trip. Have funnnnnnnnnnnn
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

Quote Originally Posted by surgtech1956 View Post
    Sounds like a great rack. Keep us posted on the weekend trip. Have funnnnnnnnnnnn
    I will - 4 hours scheduled with a mountain bike coach - she is going to help me get more comfortable riding in the woods

Thought i'd post- I joined the Soul family! After lots of deliberating and weighing options- the 2012 was the best car for the money

I went in Sunday and I leased myself a black Soul and I have named him Damien,lol!

now to get a hitch for him so I can get a bike rack and be set for all excursions.

Thank you everyone for your reviews on here- it helped a lot with my decision

NIce Car...I had a 2010 Kia Soul Sport In black with black and red interior and the premium 18" wheels and stereo .I got it in 2009 and just let it go a couple of months ago. I was planning on giving it to my 16 y/o son this past summer but he was misbehaving for the past year and a half or so...
    I have a 4runner which I use for long trips and hauling and a VW golf for daily commute. I realized he didn't deserve all the effort from my part I decided to save some money ..so I sold it.....I loved the car tho...it is a nice car..the only thing I didn't like to much was the suspension...it takes every little pothole like the bigges one. But overall its a very very nice car... Congrats

Just look out to avoid the potholes
    Last edited by Giulianna23; 11-16-2011 at 06:05 AM.

I moved up from a 2004 golf!

I drove a 2011 previously, and they made a lot of changes with the 2012(a lot more pep in the engine,etc.) Drives a lot better! I also live in FL, so our roads aren't affected by snow- so smooth driving so far.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ehirsch83 View Post
    I moved up from a 2004 golf!

I drove a 2011 previously, and they made a lot of changes with the 2012(a lot more pep in the engine,etc.) Drives a lot better! I also live in FL, so our roads aren't affected by snow- so smooth driving so far.
    I wanted to keep the Soul soo bad! it was very unique,..I think I just saw one sport besides mine in those 2 years.. .. I needed to get rid of one of the cars. I wasn't willing on giving up the 4runner because it is so convenient and reliable regardless of the MPG ( and I just have 1 year to go on the payments)...on the other hand the Golf its paid off . I also thought about the Insurance costs...so with a lot of pain that was the right decision...But the Kia Soul is a very fun car to drive and very spacious too..I am glad they mde some upgrades...Mine was gone from the dealership 3 days after I sold it.

Quote Originally Posted by ehirsch83 View Post
    Thought i'd post- I joined the Soul family! After lots of deliberating and weighing options- the 2012 was the best car for the money

I went in Sunday and I leased myself a black Soul and I have named him Damien,lol!

now to get a hitch for him so I can get a bike rack and be set for all excursions.

Thank you everyone for your reviews on here- it helped a lot with my decision
    I LOVE "Kermit", my green Kia Soul. The Thule hitch rack just rocks, and there is so much room inside for any and everything. It is sold as an urban vehicle but it really lends itself to pretty much anything. It is great for camping and mountain biking!

I do wonder how it will handle in snow/ice, but time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post

Catrin ....I had mine for 2 winters and in handles very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    You could always put snow tires on it in the Winter, if it's not great. We did this with my Mazda 3, since the stock tires are considered "all-weather performance," which really means "all-weather if you live somewhere without a true Winter." The standard wheels are 17" and low-profile, so we have 16" steel rims that we use with a higher profile tire for Winter. That car can go through anything!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Hope it's OK that I revive this thread. I am taking a hard look at a used Soul as a runabout car and to take on bike rides. Just want to make sure that I can fit my road bike in the back lying down. I ride a 49cm so it's not a long frame but I don't want to have to take the front wheel off every time I put it in the back. Right now I also have a Mazda 3 hatch and it is waaaay convenient and takes my bike just fine. I know the newer Souls 2014-15 are totally new in design from the ground up. However, I'm looking at the original model, probably 2011-2012. Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations? Those of you who have one, how has it worked out for you?

Thanks!

Is there a specific used car for sale right now that you're looking at? If so the best thing is to bring your bike when you go to test drive it so you can make sure it will fit.

Also if you dig around on the internet you might be able to find the specs for the older model. When I bought my car (2007 Prius) I was able to find details on the interior dimensions online before I went to the dealer to test drive.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    I would think you could manage it...I have a Suzuki SX4, which is probably about the same size as the Soul, and can fit my 46 cm LHT with racks/fenders in the back without removing the wheel...the key is to put it in front wheel first. There isn't much room to spare, but it does fit (obviously with the back seat folded down).
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830