Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by colorisnt View Post
    The seat was really adjustable unlike the Mazda I test drove, wanted to like, but ended up LOATHING.
    Wait, which one...? We have a 3 and it's the first car we've owned that's equally comfy for DH and I and we are nearly a foot apart in height and I have stubby legs. The seat is height adjustable (but it's a manual crank that I'm betting some dealers don't properly demonstrate), and the steering wheel is telescopic.

Hubby has been lusting after the Fit ever since he first saw one the year it was released. Every time we go to an auto show he will spend at least 30 minutes caressing it and sitting in it and grinning. His first car was an '89 Civic Si. I would put money on him going back to Honda (he is now driving an older Mazda 626 that he "inherited" after his dad died).
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Zoom,

It was the Mazda 3. The problem wasn't the legs but my arms and hands (which are especially small). We tried adjusting it - tried just about anything, but I was still hunched over like a hunchback to both drive and check my blindspot. My sister is also built like me and had issues. My mother could drive it with no issues - go figure! It was just uncomfortable to reach and check or reach and tick my indicator. I didn't really know what to do. It was sad because I really, really liked that car otherwise.
    ***graduate student and avid cyclist***

Owned by:
    Le Monstre Vert - 2013 Surly Cross-check
    Willis, my chiX

"Carl" - 2010 Kia Soul (when necessary!)

Elle on Wheels - my cycling blog!

They both sound like good options, though I will of course have to test ride them. Did I just say test RIDE them? LOL, well you know what I mean.

I hope I can make a good deal on one of them that will give me lower payments, then I can justify it. My Lancer is in great shape, but there are scratches from transporting bikes, bikes leaning against the car, etc. We will see what they might give me in trade - the blue book value is still pretty good for that car.

If this does work out, I wonder if I can talk them into tossing a hitch into the mix on a new car...especially if I get the Soul. I really like the Mini Cooper, but that is probably just too small for me these days and probably too expensive.

Good to know about the road noise on the Fit - perhaps that is better in the 2011 model? Decisions decisions, but tonight I am riding my bike so I won't go on any test rides until tomorrow evening or Friday.

Keep a close eye on blue book. From what I've heard (from the news....) used cars are currently in very high demand and blue book may actually be underestimating values. YMMV - but I would definitely get a couple of trade prices for your car from different sources.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Colorinst - does the rear seat fold flush to the floor on the Soul? I just had a Honda salesperson tell me it doesn't, but my understanding is different.

I do like Honda's reputation for reliability, but Kia has certainly improved over the years... I've an appointment to check out the Soul! tonight, and Friday morning will test ride the Fit. Then we will see what we shall see, and find out if a good deal is possible.

Out of curiosity, what term loan are you looking out for the new car and how much longer do you have to pay on the current car? Do you owe less/more on the Lancer than it's currently worth?

ETA: There was a recent thread on RBR that touched on this issue, i.e., whether it makes financial sense to trade in a car that still isn't paid off for a new car. The discussion gets a little but over the top at times, but you might want to read it.
    Last edited by indysteel; 07-13-2011 at 09:23 AM.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    Keep a close eye on blue book. From what I've heard (from the news....) used cars are currently in very high demand and blue book may actually be underestimating values. YMMV - but I would definitely get a couple of trade prices for your car from different sources.
    Or try to sell it privately....
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Yes, I am considering all of my options. Frankly it would have to be a fantastic deal for me to do this, but a zero or 1% interest rate would do it, right now my interest rate is rather higher than that... They would also need to toss in a hitch for a bike rack We will see, and I do appreciate the advice and comments. Am just working to keep a steady head about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Yes, I am considering all of my options. Frankly it would have to be a fantastic deal for me to do this, but a zero or 1% interest rate would do it, right now my interest rate is rather higher than that... They would also need to toss in a hitch for a bike rack We will see, and I do appreciate the advice and comments. Am just working to keep a steady head about this.
    If a lower interest rate will ease things for you on a monthly basis, then I understand what you're hoping to accomplish. My biggest concern--being the fiscally conservative person that I am--is the downside of extending the period you have a car payment, interest rate and amount of monthly payment aside. Owning a car out right sooner rather than later is generally a good thing. The other thing I'd consider is resale value and overall cost of ownership. Which car holds its value the best and has fewer maintenance costs?

--Mary Anne Radmacher

The new car may have a higher insurance premium thus canceling out any savings on interest or the monthly payment.

Not to mention paying sales tax again on the new car, and registration fees?

Indy - you nailed what I am trying to do. This is one of the reasons I posted it here because I figured those who are more conservative than I would remind me of those extra things I need to keep in mind while I make up my mind. I've been toying with this idea for some time, and it is worth exploring. I've started a spreadsheet at home where I can compare everything. I am trying to get better in my old age

Good tip about the insurance rates Withim, I will add that to my spreadsheet and find out if my rates would go up - right now I pay <$600 year for full collision and comprehensive - and I don't have the minimum coverage.

Hondas

I have a Pilot - a little bigger than what you want but I have to transport The Boy and his stuff.

The point of my post is that I love Hondas. Keep the maintenance done on it & it will run longer than you want to look at it. Seriously - DH had an Accord that he beat the crap out of. He is an ex-cop & they tend to be really hard on cars - but he even took this one off roading a few times. It "took a lickin' & kept on tickin'" - as the old Timex commercials would say.

I had to laugh - you said you were going to "test ride" the Fit. I think the terminology - for cars - is "test drive." Too funny!
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

We own a Honda Fit (2011 model), too. It's great for hauling around bikes (I've seen photos of Fits that have fork mounts mounted in the cargo area so that two bikes can sit upright in the back with the front wheel(s) removed). It's a small car but well configured. So, in addition to the rear seats folding back, the rear seats also can flip up to allow for taller objects and whatnot to fit more easily. It gets good mileage, and thus far we haven't had any real issues with it so it's all good.
    "Limits are a state of mind: break them before they break you."
    --Michael Cotty

Catrin,

It folds completely flat. That salesman is wrong.
    ***graduate student and avid cyclist***

Owned by:
    Le Monstre Vert - 2013 Surly Cross-check
    Willis, my chiX

"Carl" - 2010 Kia Soul (when necessary!)

Elle on Wheels - my cycling blog!

Look what followed me home! Who could resist taking it in this lovely Kia Soul+? The color is also fun, it does come in blue but I didn't like the blue, too blah. I did like my Lancer very much, but this is a fine replacement. They made a far better deal than I though possible, massive reduction in interest rate, monthly payment much lower, even my insurance premiums decreased by $200 for the year! And, I talked them into tossing in a hitch

My Gunnar fits in the back just fine without taking the wheel off, but am still going to get the kind of rack I've wanted all along - the hitch rack with wheel trays. Options are good My Saris trunk rack won't work...don't have a trunk any longer! Will sell it on local Craig's, it would cost too much to ship it.

I did consider the Fit, but in the end I didn't want to return to a small car. I am sure it would have been fine, but I really liked this car and I would never have gotten such a good deal from the Honda dealer. My previous dealings with my dealer really paid off in this transaction. In the end, this was a financial decision and I think it was a good one. I can already hear my budget breathing better - and my gas mileage is starting out higher than it is rated for which is a good sign. Gotta love manual transmissions!

Now time for a little nap, then off to ride my bike
    Last edited by Catrin; 07-14-2011 at 12:51 PM.