Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Women's vs. Men's bibshorts?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm having trouble finding bibs that I like (many have too tight legs or a chamois that's hitting me wrong). Have any of you tried men's bibs? If so, is there a big difference?
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bluebug32 View Post
    I'm having trouble finding bibs that I like (many have too tight legs or a chamois that's hitting me wrong). Have any of you tried men's bibs? If so, is there a big difference?
    One of the biggest differences is going to be in the chamois. The padding is different to accommodate accordingly.

I've always only worn men's. But then I'm quite tall.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

That's true. I'm only 5'5", so the length could be an issue.
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/

I too, have always worn mens shorts/bibs. My favorites are the Giordana Tenax bibs, stretchy enough for my big legs, and a chamois that most people would be able to ride. I have these in shorts as well, although have to admit that I prefer the bibs. FYI: I'm 5'5" as well.

Thanks, everyone!

I wear both- my team bibs at the moment are men's(Louis Garneau) and I love them! I have 1 pair of LG womens bibs which I really like also. I have ridden men's bibs that I dislike(but i feel it was just the quality- had a team that used Champion Systems and they were just horrible quality). Last year I was on a women's team and we had women's bibs and they were good also.

So.. throughout the years I have ridden in both and I have to say,I don't really notice a difference as long as they are good quality.

On average, men's bibs will:
    1) have a longer inseam measurement (usually 9-10 inches)
    2) have longer straps
    3) be narrower in the hip relative to the waist accommodation, than you would find in a women's bib.
    4) have a men's chamois. This will typically be narrower in the sit bone area, but overall longer front to back, particularly in the front, where the chamois has an extra 2-3 inches to cover the male anatomy.

Hope this helps.
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592