Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've managed to acclimate a bit to the constant 100 degree temps out here in Austin. But I find that when I tackle the hills (It is called the "hill country" for a good reason!) and really have to put some force into it, that I tend to overheat quickly. Is there anything that I can do diet-wise to help my body cope?

I got in 37 miles yesterday... but shortened the club ride. Note to self: BRING SHORTS. Riding in the cotton cargo pants from work... we got to 96 (they said heat index 115 but that's all kinds of inflated IMO) and the 8 miles to get to the ride took it out of me.... "dinner" was gatorade and lemonade. I didn't even want a beer The fruit salad with balsamic vinegar that little elves had left in my fridge (a friend who's in town who is a whiz with foodstuffs) had to wait for today.

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    It is entirely too hot here in Maine as well--too hot for me to even think about running or even riding right now; I don't tolerate heat/humidity well at all. Yesterday I did a 1.5 mile ocean swim (which felt GREAT); today I am being kind of a bum and just walking some errands but not doing anything more strenuous than that, then I work tonight in the nice air-conditioned hospital . Maybe I will try to do an early run tomorrow morning before it gets too bad.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Wednesday and Thursday should be okay riding. I hope. We did have a thunderstorm last night, but it missed me entirely. Well, I got a good lightning show out of it. :/
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

It was 86 when i headed out at 7:30 am, 96 after 1:30 of riding. Starting to get a little acclimated--if i take it easy and drink a lot. Shouldnt have raced the train though ;-)

In bed by 9:00 am tonight, so i can get up earlier tomorrow!
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." --Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

'09 Trek WSD 2.1 with a Brooks B-68 saddle
    '11 Trek WSD Madone 5.2 with Brooks B-17

I can't complain, it was only 90º here, but I'm not used to it. I rode, but very slowly. My "goal" is to get to work and not need to be hosed off before going inside. I almost made it.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

I'm going back to Chicagoland early because I need to ride. I talked to my mother today (was supposed to go home Monday of next week) and she was like, you should just come home.

I might do a 50 mile ride Sunday up to the lakeshore and back. I get to ride with my old cycling group! I will be really happy when I finally get there.
    ***proud Hoosier, statistics nerd, and mom to a headstrong toddler***
    ****one car family and loving it!****

Owned by:
    Le Monstre Vert - 2013 Surly Cross-check
    Chessie, Scottish Terrier
    Bonzai, Catahoula Leopard Dog

You all could send a little of that up the PNW way..... its 65 and threatening to rain here right now....

Mind you I don't want *ALL* of it... just a few degrees and bit of the sunshine, don't want to be greedy (or too hot )
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    You all could send a little of that up the PNW way..... its 65 and threatening to rain here right now....

Mind you I don't want *ALL* of it... just a few degrees and bit of the sunshine, don't want to be greedy (or too hot )
    and here I keep thinking that the PNW is where I want to live, you know, being a liberal tree hugging hippie and all. I feel like my peeps are there. It's so beautiful and cool, but I just don't know if I can handle 65 degree days in summer. I'm already a freeze baby when it drops below 70. I *guess* you get used to it.

I'll send about 10 degrees your way. That way I'll be in the 90's and you can be in the 70's. Deal?
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

I'm okay with like 85 degrees. Moving here has been scary. I have never lived anywhere this warm or been in heat this intense. The winters are ridiculous, though. They are a joke compared to lake effect. I just wish they could clear the roads and people would shovel. The ice is no joke, though.

The problem is there is no lake. I can't just go up to the Lake and lie in the sand, run in, find it freezing, run back. Rinse and repeat.
    ***proud Hoosier, statistics nerd, and mom to a headstrong toddler***
    ****one car family and loving it!****

Owned by:
    Le Monstre Vert - 2013 Surly Cross-check
    Chessie, Scottish Terrier
    Bonzai, Catahoula Leopard Dog

I'll speak for Eden and Salsa, and anyone else up here in the upper left corner that would like to be a tad warmer in July.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    I'll send about 10 degrees your way. That way I'll be in the 90's and you can be in the 70's. Deal?
    Deal!
    Beth

In AZ, it's riding by 5:30 and in no later than 8:30-9:00 (as AZ Fiddle says.) Sure, it's a dry heat. Just like hell.

I wear a Camelback & make sure it's filled with ice water. It encourages small sips during the ride & keeps me cooler.

It's a good time to hit a spinning class or do weight training - or both.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

5:30 is too early for me! I just went walking at 6:30 this morning and it was nice. Temp in the low 70's with a nice cool breeze - ahhh! Back to the upper 90's this afternoon, then triple digits again for several days --

I don't know how you desert southwesterners do it. Up here, when it gets hot, at least it usually doesn't get bad until at least late morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmama View Post
    In AZ, it's riding by 5:30 and in no later than 8:30-9:00 (as AZ Fiddle says.) Sure, it's a dry heat.
    That always cracked me up. I remember being in Palm Springs in July. My sandals were sticking to the sidewalk!

The low last night was 80!
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." --Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

'09 Trek WSD 2.1 with a Brooks B-68 saddle
    '11 Trek WSD Madone 5.2 with Brooks B-17

I've been getting up and riding or running at 5:30. It sucks, but at least the heat isn't too bad. This morning it was 90 degrees on my porch when I returned from my ride just before 7 a.m. (admittedly, my porch faces east and traps the morning sun making it hotter than the surrounding area). I did an evening ride on Monday when the heat and humidity made it hard to breathe. The riding wasn't so bad (cycling is so much better than running in this weather since you create a nice breeze), but stopping was brutal. I looked like I had just come in from a swim.