Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping

Black women take their place in D.C.’s bike lanes

To disable ads, please log-in.

Interesting article in the Post about a group of riders folks seem to forget is there.

----
    By Vanessa Williams, Published: July 10

Veronica Davis bikes almost everywhere, except to church on Sundays.

She’s a member and frequent user of Capital Bikeshare and has testified before the D.C. Council in favor of more bike lanes in Southeast Washington, where she lives and owns a small business.

Yet some people pause and look again when they see her gliding along on two wheels. “Mommy, look at the black lady on the bike!” a little girl squealed one day as Davis rode past the Potomac Gardens housing project.

It’s that kind of reaction, Davis says, that makes Black Women Bike DC the perfect name for the group that she and two other women launched after chatting on Twitter about their participation in Bike to Work Day last spring.

“It’s a tongue-in-cheek comment: ‘No, see, we do bike,’ ” Davis said.

2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    That's great that she's part of that group.

It's probably for socializing with folks and doing stuff with folks after church that she would find it complicated to bike (if other members of the congregation don't cycle to church).
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Smile Glad to see the cycling community become more diverse

Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

These are great articles. I am the only Black female (that we know of) in my city that cycles and I hear it A LOT (as well as my hubby) !

Good Article...I've read this same one a couple of weeks ago.
    I am mixed Latina/Black..Grew up in a latin diverse country where u see all kind of people riding a bike.. I would love to see more latinos and people from other cultures and races participating in cycling...

I'd like to see that too. Especially here in the good ol' USA I feel cycling is seen as a white sport. OK, can we talk? A rich white sport like golf. In fact some say cycling is the new golf But what we need is like G23 said a culture where you see all kinds of people riding all kinds of bikes all kinds of ways to all kinds of places. That is my hope.

All bikes are good, all people who ride are great.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

When I was racing bikes and practicing law, people would ask me why I didn't golf. I'd tell them, "I already have one sport that's ludicrously expensive, predominantly male and overwhelmingly white. Why do I need another?"

But then as now, there's a heavy strain of elitism that fuels the racial divide. If you look at cycling as "sport," there are few non-white participants (even though most cities now have a Major Taylor club); if you look at cycling as transportation, if anything, people of color are overrepresented because of wealth disparities. It's just that people in shabby jeans tooling around slowly on poorly maintained big-box-store bikes, stereotypically ignoring rules of the road, are invisible to a lot of "sport" and "lifestyle" cyclists, and that's a shame.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    That's actually one nice thing about riding in the D.C. metro area.
    Pretty much everyone here is from somewhere else - whether it's another part of the USA or another part of the world. So riders reflect the diversity in creed and color (and I'm referring to the "golf" cyclists - the club riders - not the invisible cyclists).
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle