Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Respiratory Resting Metabolic Rate Test

Has anyone here ever had a respiratory resting metabolic rate test done?

Link below happens to have a short vid showing someone getting the test performed...
    http://www.personalnewtrition.com/Se...8/Default.aspx

One of the personal trainers at one of my gyms told me about it. I don't watch tv, but I guess they use this test on "The Biggest Loser" show also.

I would guess as you become fitter/thinner, then your past tests results becomes invalid? In the side article with this web link, it does mention this. Something about re-testing every 5lbs diff or 5% difference. Hmm, testing would add up pretty quickly. Don't know how much the validity is impacted.

Info / experiences, please share, thanks.
    Last edited by Miranda; 07-11-2011 at 09:10 AM.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    I had it done about 4 years ago. The information was helpful to me (knowing what my BMR was to figure out exactly how many calories I needed to be taking in to lose/maintain weight), but i had it done by a friend of a friend and it wasn't very expensive at all (I think I paid $35).

How much do they charge?
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

I had it done recently as well. I had that and body fat done and the folks that did it were glad I did as if they just went by my fat/lean percentages I would have had to cut my calories a lot more. The metabolic rate showed that I have a higher rate than just the 'fat pod' would have indicated. Perhaps due to being a bit more fit than my large size portrays.

I want to redo the body fat pod thingy in a few months, but hadn't thought much about redoing the metabolic rate analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Possegal View Post
    I had it done recently as well. I had that and body fat done and the folks that did it were glad I did as if they just went by my fat/lean percentages I would have had to cut my calories a lot more. The metabolic rate showed that I have a higher rate than just the 'fat pod' would have indicated. Perhaps due to being a bit more fit than my large size portrays.

I want to redo the body fat pod thingy in a few months, but hadn't thought much about redoing the metabolic rate analysis.
    Agreed... I really wonder the same thing about myself.

I know I consume a lot of calories. Thus, it's not a mystery to me from a food consumption standpoint why I don't loose weight with my current exercise levels. However, at the same time it also blows my mind that I can maintain my weight as it would seem I still take in way more that my body puts out. I think the test would be worth it.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    that's not a bad price. Might be worth it to know the numbers- if you're a numbers person. I used to be. Now not so much.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    that's not a bad price. Might be worth it to know the numbers- if you're a numbers person. I used to be. Now not so much.
    Ha ha ha... yes, I know what you mean. I am a numbers person. But some things I have reverted the other way totally. Part of me does want to know my number... um, then this other part does not....

because I would actually have to count calories then *gasp & sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    I had it done about 4 years ago. The information was helpful to me (knowing what my BMR was to figure out exactly how many calories I needed to be taking in to lose/maintain weight), but i had it done by a friend of a friend and it wasn't very expensive at all (I think I paid $35).

How much do they charge?
    $40 ...with a discount I receive as a gym employee

thanks for the feedback... I want to know for the reasons that you did it as well... I've went on line and did the estimation formulas... but as my trainer co-worker friend suggested, it would be more accurate, and what I seemed to be looking for as an answer