Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Auckland...Honolulu... now San Diego.... where next ?!?

La Jolla bound...

To disable ads, please log-in.

After initially thinking we were heading to Amherst, Mass. DH has just accepted a job in La Jolla

I'm looking forward to moving there & getting out more on my road bike as well as finally getting another mountain bike and hitting the trails... I arrive around the middle of September & hopefully my road bike will arrive a week later.

Can anyone point me in the direction of good bike shops & bike groups ? any ladies groups around ?? Is there many organized century rides and the such around ?? This is for road & trail riding ....

Thanks
    People do not decide to become extraordinary. They decide to accomplish extraordinary things - Sir Edmund Hillary

Ohh.. La Jolla is a gorgeous area.

Congrats. I think forum member "ChanLuvr" (Or something like that.. doing this off memory) is from down there and may be able to answer your questions re: shops and rides.

At least to start with, take a look at: http://www.bikecal.com/ Has listings of daily rides and centuries. Not necessarily the most complete but it should give ya a decent list.

Welcome to CA!
    Push the pedal down watch the world around fly by us

I've only visited (and applied to jobs trying to move!). La Jolla is beautiful - and I really enjoyed riding in San Diego when we were on vacation. When we were visiting, Adams Avenue Cyclery was recommended to me by a wrench buddy who used to live in that area. I ended up needing a small part or 2 and they were helpful!

Mostly, I just wanted to say I'm jealous!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Adams Ave is great, my favorite LBS is Cal Coast, right down the street (on Adams).

Will you also be living in LJ? There is a University Cycling; I can't remember its exact name but it is up in La Jolla near the Whole Foods. B + L Bikes is excellent, they specialize in Specialized and do a shop ride from their North County location.

There are a few centuries a year here; you'll be arriving in time for the Tour de Poway which is excellent; starts off with a nice bit of climb. There's a San Diego Century, but I've never ridden any part of it, it conflicts with a Los Angeles ride that I love. Lots of riders here train for the Solvang Century, a couple of hours up the road, and there is a Palm Springs century in Feb that is popular.

There is a Luna Chix group of women riders that I have heard good things about.

For MTB there is Noble Canyon and Mission Trails in the city and a bit farther out of town Mount Laguna has fun trails.

We have a San Diego Bike Coalition that will provide a bunch of info for you as well as a SD chapter of the Mountain Bike association.
    Giant TCR C3 :: Specialized Jett 143
    Specialized FSR :: Terry Butterfly
    Vintage Giant Road Bike :: Specialized Lithia

Woohooo!

Yes, LJ is gorgeous. Do you know if you'll be living down by the beach or up by Mt. Soledad/University City?

There's a great club ride that leaves every Saturday morning from UC Cyclery in La Jolla Village Square, I think it is. It's at the outside corner of a mall that has a Ralph's grocery store, Trader Joe's, and an AMC Theater. It's on Nobel Drive just west of I-5. DH rides in it and there are a couple hundred people that go, with four or five divisions of riders, including two racing team development rides.

There are organized pace line workouts and such, too, at Fiesta Island, on Tuesday mornings and evenings, and Wednesday evenings. Also, the San Diego Bike Club Time Trial Series starts up in August, also at Fiesta Island. Usually the second Sunday of each month, I think. DH rides in those, too.

I just ride for fun at Fiesta Island and Lake Miramar. Fiesta Island is smack in the middle of Mission Bay and while I think it's a nice ride, I've heard it described as a treadmill for cyclists. There are occasional joggers, but mostly you have to watch out for cars and RVs. Lake Miramar is really beautiful - a five-mile loop MUP - in Scripps Ranch. Avoid going there in the early evening - it's packed with walkers who do not keep to the right.

San Diego Bike Club is huge and usually well-represented at races, but so are Adams Avenue Bike Club, Swamis, and UCC - they're the ones whose shop is the starting point for that Saturday ride, although San Diego Bike Club organizes it. DH is a member.

Swami's is a bike club associated with the Center for Self-Realization up the coast in Encinitas, founded by an actual Swami from India. There's a beautiful meditation garden and a temple-like structure, and I imagine some sort of Buddhist services go on there, but I'm not that familiar with it. The beach below the Center is a favorite surf spot, and the Saturday morning ride goes right past along Hwy 101, and if you head up that way, it's usually crowded with people out and about shopping and having breakfast at one of the many cafes.

I'd love to get together with you when you get here. I'm actually going to be in Honolulu next week.

Roxy

(and the screen name is Channlluv, like in "Channel Love"
    Last edited by channlluv; 07-11-2011 at 09:27 AM.
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

Auckland...Honolulu... now San Diego.... where next ?!?

Hi all....

Thanks for the posts and information..... I'm sooooo looking forward to moving And even more looking forward to getting out more on my bike..... I'm a happy-for-fun rider

I doubt we'll be living in La Jolla - it's as expensive as Honolulu However we'll be close to there....just a little more affordable area! Still working out those details. But seems there will be plenty to keep me amused, thank for the details http://www.bikecal.com/ great place to start.

channlluv - Roxy - Are you staying in Honolulu/Waikiki ??? I'll pm you my number - perhaps we could catch up for coffee if you have time whilst you are here ??
    Last edited by MillieNZ; 07-11-2011 at 03:52 PM.
    People do not decide to become extraordinary. They decide to accomplish extraordinary things - Sir Edmund Hillary

Quote Originally Posted by channlluv View Post
    (and the screen name is Channlluv, like in "Channel Love"
    sorry bout that. i knew i had it mostly right but couldn't remember exactly and was rushing to post before work
    Push the pedal down watch the world around fly by us