Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Velocivixen View Post
    I'm wondering if I'll still be able to get up the hills I do on occasion around here. I'll be losing some of my lower gears as compared to my current bike, but I don't use them anyway, so it doesn't matter.
    If you need lower gears you can add a 3rd chainring. There are bolt-holes on the spider that will accept a 3rd. Cost me $19 to add a granny up front.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Is your steer tube cut down? I imagine that as I ride it and time will tell, I may want them to either cut down the steer tube a bit or something. I have decided not to remove any stickers right away. I'll be too busy practicing how to ride on a drop bar bike and shifting gears to be fussing with sticker removal! I want to get some miles and practice in before the rain comes.
    Do you have the original saddle that comes with it? It's a WTB SST and they've gotten decent reviews, although I realize that saddles are highly individual. What have you done to yours regarding accessories or changes? Do you ride it in hilly areas? I'm wondering if I'll still be able to get up the hills I do on occasion around here. I'll be losing some of my lower gears as compared to my current bike, but I don't use them anyway, so it doesn't matter.
    I have not cut my steer tube. I've played around with moving it so much and know I'll probably move it again so it's still got lots of spacers on it. Luckily I have my bars high enough that there isn't a lot of excess tube at the top.

I had the original saddle far too long. It was wretched. I'm still trying to find the perfect saddle, but it definitely wasn't the original one. My bike is still pretty stock other than visual additions. I might swap the bars in the future to ones with a more shallow reach. There are a few hills around here but nothing crazy that I haven't been able to climb. However, I am going to add a third chainring when we go on tour this fall.
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    2003 Cannondale Bad Boy
    Motobecane Nobly (60's or 70's)

@KnottedYet, did you also have to get a wider bottom bracket something or another? I think it's cool that it's designed to add another if needed.

@Atlas, good luck on your saddle search. I've decided to just keep the saddle it comes with vs trading it in right away for a Brooks or whatever, and see how it goes.

I will say, on a slightly different topic, that I have a Cateye Strada wireless computer for my current bike and I just ordered the parts kit for it (sensor, magnet, mounting hardware), so I can use the computer on the new bike. I also found bike shop in town that sells the handlebar mount only for my Niterider MiNewt 250 cordless headlight! This is amazing because NO bike shop around sells just the mount and NiteRider wanted to charge me $11.99 for ground shipping on a $15 part. I totally scored.

No...what to name her? I should have a contest, once I actually receive her, and post her photos and let you all help me with a name. hahaha
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls & looks like work" - Thomas Edison

No...what to name her? I should have a contest, once I actually receive her, and post her photos and let you all help me with a name. hahaha
    Give her a chance and she will tell you her name

@Catrin, I totally agree. When I least expect it the name will come to me. I went to college with a woman named Margo Falcon, which is a very strong, yet sexy name in my opinion. Hmmm
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls & looks like work" - Thomas Edison

@KnottedYet, did you also have to get a wider bottom bracket something or another? I think it's cool that it's designed to add another if needed.
    Nope. Just bought the chainring ($19) and the shop slapped it on free of charge. Took 'em just a couple minutes.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

@Knotted, I'll definitely ask about it when I pick up my bike. Good to know. I don't do too many hills and when I do on my Trek, the lowest I typically go is 2 in the front and 1 in the back. I think I've used the smallest ring in the front one time in 10 months. It's just too exhausting for me to pedal that fast and not get anywhere fast.