Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: July 9-10 rides

To disable ads, please log-in.

I did get a small easy ride in this morning, but only 10 miles My legs didn't feel sore from mountain biking yesterday until I started pushing myself on a couple of hills this morning. Not bad, but it seemed best to take it easy and head home. Not enough time to ride somewhere else, and the park I was in, avoiding hills means there is only a couple miles of road available to me.

It is supposed to be brutally hot and humid tomorrow, but if they are wrong will ride tomorrow evening after work, or head to spinning class if they have it right.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    got in 60 miles. It was 103 at noon. ugh! It was supposed to be 70 miles, but this heat is killing me and my training. We normally only have 10 days above 100 a year. This year we're at 21 consecutive over 100 and have broken numerous records. My state is confused- it thinks it's AZ or NV. It needs to remember where it is, because this has GOT to stop!!! But, I think we're screwed for the rest of the summer...

You can take the girl out of AZ, and apparently you can take the AZ out of the girl after 18 years. I want my heat tolerance back!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

I did 25 this morning. The first 18 was awesome, I was planning to go 35 but at mile 18 I stood up to push it a bit on a hill and I managed to pull a muscle. It hurts from the front crease of my thigh around to my butt and down the back of my thigh.
    I pedal for chocolate

1999 Klein Quantum - Terry butterfly Ti
    2011 Trek Utopia - Bontrager Nebula Plus...for now

Didn't ride on Saturday, but a small group of us went out for a 50 mile ride today. We stopped around mile 30 at a gas station/convenience store to use the facilities and replenish our fluids. After standing in line for about 3 minutes while the customer ahead of me purchased lottery tickets, I stepped up to the counter with a bottle of water (now mind you, I am standing there in cycling shorts, jersey and with my helmet and gloves on) and the lady behind the counter asked me if there was a gasoline purchase with the water. I did manage to keep a straight face as I responded "just the water today," but I thought the guy behind me in line was going to die laughing.

Just got back from 4 days/3 rides in the Berkshires.
    Day 1: Got there at noon, went to Lee and ate lunch. Drove to the inn in Gt. Barrington, checked in, and went for a lovely 15 mile warm up ride. This is the only flat ride you'll see in the Berkshires. It was hot, though, 89.7 degrees registered on DH's Garmin. Sat by the pool and then off to Mexican food, with 2 pitchers of sangria (don't worry, our friends were on the trip with us).
    Day 2: This was our longest day. We had a 40 mile ride planned, with a trip up Lenox Mountain. I've done this climb once before, it's not bad. We studiously checked the weather before, radar, etc. It was cloudy, with bad storms going both south and north of us. The first part of the ride looked like it had rained there already. All familiar roads, with a lunch stop in Stockbridge. So, with 3 miles left, it began sprinkling. Within minutes, it was a deluge, with thunder and lightning. I was scared out of my mind. There was no place to take shelter. Brant told us he was "booking it" to the inn, and Janine was about 2 miles behind us, with a cue sheet. DH and I stayed together and he slowed for me, since my handling skills in rain, well, have not been tested. It was absolutely the longest 3 miles of my life. The innkeeper had towels ready for us when we got back and newspaper for our shoes. Janine was pissed her DH didn't help her... and we agreed. We told him he needs to ride at her speed on these rides. We don't really care; it's a "tour." Well, there were a few tense moments, but everyone calmed down and the rain stopped and we went out for beer and apps in Gt. Barrington. Then back to rest, change and off to Lenox for Italian. Can you see a theme here? Ride and eat.
    Day 3: We planned to start from the boat ramp at Lake Buel, ride to Stockbridge in a round a bout way, get sandwiches to take with us and head to Lee and take a different way from Tyringham to Monterey. Well, we usually go over what we call the Tyringham wall. It's about 3/4-1 mile of steep climbs, with some rest in between, down into Monterey. This time, Brant had us go another road. We turned to the right, and I thought I would die, seeing the climb ahead. I yelled out that I was going to kill him, but I made up my mind I would not get off of my bike. My allergies and asthma were already bothering me. The first part was the worst. It had to have been a 20% grade. I felt nauseous for the first time on a ride, dizzy, but I got up it, when DH told me to slow it down (I was going 6.5), and I crawled up the rest at about 5 mph. All in all, it was 2 miles, with a 13% average grade. Janine walked up the first part, but was able to get back on and do OK. Another couple was riding up it, too, and the guy just flew by us, on a bike with a double. He was standing... ouch. My knee is hurting me from this climb. We got to Monterey, ate our lunches and did another 5-7 miles of climbing/rollers and then it was all downhill. 37 miles, 2200 feet of climbing.
    Today we ate breakfast, drove to Northampton, walked around the shops and ate lunch in Amherst.
    A great trip.
    Last edited by Crankin; 07-10-2011 at 01:27 PM.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Did twenty-three miles today-- my longest ride of the year.

New saddle.. SCORE.. I didn't even "feel" the saddle under me until about mile 20 when.

New Speedplay Frog Pedals.. SCORE.. Rode the entire trip clipped in and only had a few "opps" moments, but was able to keep everything shiney side up!!

Shannon
    Starbucks.. did someone say Starbucks?!?!
    http://www.cincylights.com