Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pantyliners?

Red face Pantyliners?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I did a little search for this and I only found one or two opinions scattered through threads regarding other topics, so I thought I'd ask in a new thread. I figure it deserves its own thread for the new cyclists like myself. File this one in with the other "TMI" threads

What do you ladies do during your period? Not as far as what's inside (I converted to menstrual cups long before joining this forum), but for what's on the outside. I find that my cup leaks (or maybe I'm just too messy taking it out and putting it back in) just enough that I still always wear a pantyliner normally. But now I'm getting into cycling and I keep reading that it's bad to wear underwear, so I have to think it would be that much worse to wear a pantyliner, since those seem to harbor so much sweat and stinky stuff even when I'm not exercising.

So what's the verdict? Undies with pantyliner? Pantyliner straight on the shorts? Nothing? If you really wear nothing, do you do anything special at restroom stops? And do you do anything special for cleaning your shorts?

Whew, I'm glad this forum exists so I can post this kind of question without grossing too many people out. I'm hoping to ride 60 miles tomorrow. When I was in junior high and high school, I let my period keep me from doing way too many things, and I definitely don't let that happen anymore.
    2010 KHS Flite 220L
    2005 Trek 820

Whether I'm "supposed to" do this is another question (that I'm not seeking opinions on here) - but....

I find that with the Diva Cup - I'm good 8-12 hours (and I've inadvertently gone a bit longer than that). I usually only get leakage with an empty (and try to have wet wipes handy). So, I don't wear anything with the shorts - but I don't tend to leak and I wouldn't empty on a 60 mile ride. I've tried riding with panty liners, etc. at the beginning/end of a period and it has been a disaster for me. I think I might rather just use spot remover on the shorts....
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    I, too, use a Diva cup and although I sometimes have leakage, I don't use anything with my bike shorts. Usually I just rinse them out in the sink with a little soap after rides, but during that time of the month, I will just put some Shout on there, let it sit and then wash after each use, in case there was anything on the chamois. And I only ever ride with a black chamois now, so I guess I never really know if I leak.
    I would forgo the pantyliner. Too much trouble.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Black Chamois? Which shorts? I like that idea
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    Black Chamois? Which shorts? I like that idea
    Shebeest Nirvana shorts. The less I see down there, the better. No leg grippers or elastic waistband either. Me likey!!!!

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)

hydrogen peroxide is a great blood stain remover .......... and well this year at least the chamois in our team kits is red.....

(honestly I can't even imagine using a panty liner on a chamois - well actually I can imagine it and my imagination conjures up a rolled up liner creeping up my butt crack or some sort of horrific paper cut/saddle sore.....)
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Okay, I think I will try it with just the shorts. Anybody have any horror stories or anything?
    2010 KHS Flite 220L
    2005 Trek 820

Quote Originally Posted by Espresso View Post
    Okay, I think I will try it with just the shorts. Anybody have any horror stories or anything?
    I think Eden's imagination is horrifying enough . . .

Yeah, no pantyliner. I've never yet had a problem getting the chamois clean.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

To clarify: when I said horror stories I meant when not wearing a pantyliner. I do bleed a lot on my heavy days, so I'm just a little concerned.
    Last edited by Espresso; 07-08-2011 at 03:49 PM.
    2010 KHS Flite 220L
    2005 Trek 820

The horror story arises from wearing a pantyliner when biking; unfortunately, I have experience which informs me in this regard. Do.not.do.it.

Nope, no horror stories here. However, I don't ride on the heaviest days because it's a herculean effort to get myself off the couch on those. It is pretty easy to H2O2 things off the chamois, though.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Wow, I'm really glad this forum exists, too, because I am having the same dilemma! I am riding my first race next week, told people and THEN realized it will be the heaviest day of my period. I know riding 15 miles with a pad is going to be torture plus I know I won't make it an hour without needing to use a restroom. HELP!

I bought the diva cup once but I don't think I have it anymore. I found it way too messy but I'm gathering that is what cyclists use? Any other tricks?

Just jumping in to be smug.

Yay menopause!!!!!

That is all.

///except for --- no panty, no liner, wash shorts after use.

Quote Originally Posted by hansbrea View Post
    Wow, I'm really glad this forum exists, too, because I am having the same dilemma! I am riding my first race next week, told people and THEN realized it will be the heaviest day of my period. I know riding 15 miles with a pad is going to be torture plus I know I won't make it an hour without needing to use a restroom. HELP!

I bought the diva cup once but I don't think I have it anymore. I found it way too messy but I'm gathering that is what cyclists use? Any other tricks?
    Tampons. I keep a spare one or two in my seat bag. (Tampax compax or whatever. I don't care for Tampax otherwise (too TMI?), but those are the perfect size for storing in seat bags.)
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    Just jumping in to be smug.

Yay menopause!!!!!

That is all.

///except for --- no panty, no liner, wash shorts after use.

Just rub it in why don't you...

Enjoy your hot flashes!! (oh wait, do those only happen during the transition?)

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)