Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question Another Mtn biker looking to move to rd

To disable ads, please log-in.

Yes, I'm another Mountain Biker who has been doing a lot of long distance rides on an older mountian bike with street slicks. I'm a little afraid of how fast I'll really be able to go on a road bike Currently I ride about 50 miles at a time on weekends in decent weather and I do 2 or 3 50-75 mile charity rides per year - which are effortless and I generally come in with all of the men. ( I can't tell you how many guys I have lost on these rides) I'm looking to move into the bigger leagues and need to purchase a more road-worthy bike but I too am nervous about going from my comfortable upright position. I'm checking out the Trek 1000 - but if the gears are as bad as they say, they are probably like my Trek Mtn. bike which has had problems since almost day 1. I'm also thinking that the triathalon bike positioning looks far more comfortable - although I know I will need to spend more to get one and I don't plan on taking up swimming anytime soon. What would be the advantage of a road bike over triathalon or vice versa.

Thanks!

I'm loving my new Rivendell. It's very comfortable - more so than my tandem or my mountain bike.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Lightbulb Have you thought about a recumbent?

I can't ride a rode bike due to back surgery, so I started looking into recumbents. I haven't purchased one yet, but Lightning makes a nice once that is supposed to be as fast as a regular road bike. The price is in the neighborhood of $1500 which compared to even traditional road bikes isn't too bad. I saw one going up a hill a couple of days ago and it is pretty amazing... it can climb as well as any road bike I've seen. If you are riding that well on a mountain bike and don't want to give up your comfort, you might test ride one. You might find that it has the combo you are looking for. There's another member who posted about her lightning in my thread about recumbents. I'm hoping to get one for my birthday in August .

Chris
    Peace~