Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    This scenario really gets me. This house wasn't enough:
    Main house: 12,000 square feet
    Number of bedrooms: 5
    Bathrooms: 8 1/2
    Garage: 3-car
    Guest house: 1,100 square feet
    Value: $4.5 million

So it was demolished for this:
    Main house: 22,000 square feet
    Number of bedrooms: 3
    Bathrooms: 5 full and 5 half-baths
    Garage: 3 buildings
    Guest house: 6,000 square feet
    Value: Still being assessed; building permits over $3 million (total finished value was guesstimated to be ~$10 mil.)
    Where was this at?

I got a full tour yesterday. There are many secret passageways and hidden rooms. There's even a panic room. It's pretty cool. The reason they have so many bedrooms (and 4 kitchens!) is that they have guests that will stay with them for several months at a time. The mother-in-law is currently visiting them for 3 months and will eventually live with them full-time I imagine.

These people have more money than I can even dream of. As DH said, the interest on their savings alone could probably build that house every year. And in a time when no one has been building, they employed quite a few people over the last year. I'm thankful they reinvested the money locally.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Quote Originally Posted by limewave View Post
    Where was this at?
    South Shore Dr., in Holland...about halfway down towards Lake MI.

Ha, now I notice that the URL was messed-up because it contains the word d*ck. It's the DeVos house. Let me fix that with Tinyurl...
    Here's a functioning link.
    Last edited by zoom-zoom; 07-09-2011 at 08:57 AM.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I was just in Holland this week, sure wish I could have seen this from the water. WOW, what a house!
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Writer View Post
    You saw something enormous and overwhelming and were in awe of it and in the process you peered into a lifestyle that is very different from that of most people. Your post did not indicate a hint of envy or scorn for that lifestyle, just a realization that it is very different from your own and that is very natural.
    Surprisingly, I didn't feel any twinges of jealousy. However, I DO get VERY jealous when I read about new bikes on this forum! Which is why you almost never see me comment on those threads
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Holy Schnikeys!!! The guest house alone would house half my neighborhood.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

The article says they want that house to be a gathering place for multiple generations of their family, and I take that to mean extended family, as it's a vacation home, or so it's described in the article. It looks like a hotel or a B&B to me.

As for three bedrooms, I think a room has to have a closet to be listed as a bedroom. There may be a dozen more non-closet rooms that may provide sleeping quarters for all the cousins, but I'm guessing.

As for buying bigger and better, it doesn't really bother me all that much if the person doing the buying can afford it. We live pretty modestly, ourselves, but DH has no problem plunking down some serious cash on bikes. It's about priorities.

I have a friend who is building one of those huge houses on a canyon near where they currently live -- I tease her and call it a compound because it will have multiple buildings and a huge pool, etc. -- but she's doing it to provide homes for her parents and her mother-in-law, and for her kids and their families when they grow up, plus they'll be doing summer camp enrichment-type stuff like yoga and dance and art classes and all sorts of stuff like that for their many friends and their kids during the summer. I'm kind of happy to be in that group.

Roxy

P.S. As for the housewarming gift, I'd pick a dozen or so pretty bulbs to plant. Something that will grow and multiply, like daylilies, and then every time they bloom, she'll think of you.
    Last edited by channlluv; 07-09-2011 at 03:36 PM.
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    We have our own super-monster house in my neighborhood. There are a few mini-monsters, I hate 'em, but they're not mine, so I ignore them. But this one....gawd, talk about your sore thumbs.. Almost 6,000 sq ft, 5 bedrooms, 5.5 baths. Most homes here are about 2500 sq ft. ranch style homes.

The first owners lost it to forclosure, I think it's already on it's third set of owners.

It looks like a village.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Well, in some vicarous way it is interesting to know someone and visit a large home...mansion like, etc.

In our building, we sneaked up to see the penthouse before they sold it.

We were underwhelmed and couldn't see why it was worth paying the extra $$$$ for more space but everything else wasn't extra special.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

For a house warming gift - if you haven't already sorted something else out

When we moved into our home some friends of ours gave us a folder with all of the local restaurant take-away menus
    They both had written little notes on each of them on what was best to order at each, or directions or where to sit when eating in
    It's been absolutely invaluable - and was the best house warming gift I've ever gotten
    Thoughtful - and cost them nothing except time

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalEdward View Post

When we moved into our home some friends of ours gave us a folder with all of the local restaurant take-away menus
    They both had written little notes on each of them on what was best to order at each, or directions or where to sit when eating in
    It's been absolutely invaluable - and was the best house warming gift I've ever gotten
    What a great gift!
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Wow! That is a great gift idea!

How perfect for anyone who might be moving into a new neighborhood.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain

Yes! This for sure!!!! I would have LOVED to have gotten that when we moved into our new neighborhood!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

6 1/2 bathrooms? Really? REALLY?
    Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.
    > Remember to appreciate all the different people in your life!

Quote Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
    6 1/2 bathrooms? Really? REALLY?
    Bet they don't have mold either....

Quote Originally Posted by channlluv View Post
    As for three bedrooms, I think a room has to have a closet to be listed as a bedroom. There may be a dozen more non-closet rooms that may provide sleeping quarters for all the cousins, but I'm guessing.
    Hmmm, maybe they are playing the house value assessment game: The number of bedrooms might be a factor in what the government assessor calculates. Plus, based on the style of the new house, I bet the owners might prefer armoires instead of closets.