Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

I don't have a shower available and I wish I did. My commute to work is mostly flat...except for the last 2.5 miles, which are straight up a hill. Actually several smaller hills, but there is no downhill between them. So I will arrive sweaty and out of breath, and my hair will be plastered to my head except for my bangs, which will somehow be sticking straight up (hint, bangs are a bad idea if you commute to work by bike and can't shower). The back isn't long enough for a ponytail with the helmet yet so it's usually a rats nest. I can't wait until it's long enough to braid, and then I won't have to fix anything but the bangs.

Then again, if I had a shower at work, I'd have to get there a LOT earlier, as my hair takes at least 20 minutes to dry with a blow dryer and much longer on its own. I usually shower the night before and will sort of let the sweat air dry at the office, then touch up the style a bit with a blowdryer. And then the perpetual ponytail. Fortunately I work in a very casual office but I'm pretty sure I'm pushing our limits on some days.

I don't wear makeup, so no advice there.

The less "plastic" I wear, the less stinky I am. I try to go for a wool sports bra at the least but love when I can wear a wool top as well. Polyester just pretty much smells.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Thanks everyone! This is really helpful. I'm looking forward to abandoning the car and joining the world of bike commuters

Ursula -- do you just use like, normal body wash?

I used to use baby powder in my hair when I'd do a light work out towards the end of the day at my old job. It really works wonders but unfortunately the smell of the baby powder started to drive me crazy (maybe because I just knew it meant my hair wasn't actually clean).

Quote Originally Posted by fallstoclimb View Post
    Perhaps just a rinse and blowdry but skipping shampoo and conditioner would suffice.
    I have the type of hair for it (curly-dry) - but I've given up shampoo entirely..... I only rinse and condition these days.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

I just had my hair complimented... again... it seems that mashing the helmet on it and sweating a little lets it feather a bit -- I *tried* over the years to get it to do this... (Or, it's hormonal changes... but I'm not complaining...)

Eden, that was great advice (riding with it wet in a ponytail). My hair looks better than when I blow dry it.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

I decided that based on my helmet mashing my hair into the wave I want, I can design helmets to mash hair in different ways and market them Shoudl I quit my day job?

Smile Join a gym...

I'm lucky enough to have an affordable gym on the end of my bike commute. Good for folks who don't have showers at work.

Probably going to grow my hair out; chin/shoulder length hair is NOT working out for me, because it gets compressed at the bottom of the helmet. There's always that "Qui-Gon Jinn" half-ponytail, which I think looks more professional (and pretty.)