Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

To disable ads, please log-in.

You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    Isn't this the last weigh in? Up a little to 147.8
    Count me in for the next one

Yep this is the last one for this challenge.

I'll start a new thread this weekend and in that thread folks can let me know if they want to play again for the next two months.
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

Quote Originally Posted by Possegal View Post
    Yep this is the last one for this challenge.

I'll start a new thread this weekend and in that thread folks can let me know if they want to play again for the next two months.
    Thanks Posse for keeping this up.

117.0 today. Still in the same ball park but not going up anymore.

I lost 38 pounds in about 16 months. I'm currently about 33 pounds below my start weight. I used Weightwatchers on line and the bike. No trainer. I'm sure a trainer would help me get stronger in my upper body, but not necessarily helped my weight loss.

I stayed at goal for about 6 months, than inched up a little at a time for the next 6 months. Now is it is coming down again but very, very slowly.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

I'm just ending my period. I've cut back on the walking from 5k to 1 mile - one intense mile, upping the intervals speed to 3.5 and the level up to 4, per advice from you all. And I went for a short swim yesterday. Just 20 minutes, and then a hot sauna for about 20 minutes.

It's been let's see...a month since I had any fast food, although I will occasionally go to a restaurant. I actually slipped up yesterday and not thinking, I ate white bread. I got a turkey sandwich and salad at a local organic marketplace, and I just didn't think to ask for whole grain bread. It came on one of those flat bread things that look like a pita. And it knocked me out for about an hour. Now, granted, I've been sleep deprived all week, too, but there's something about white flour and white rice that makes my body shut down, especially if I'm already tired. I would have thought the protein from the turkey and the salad would have balanced out the white bread, though.

So, headed in the right direction. 90 pounds to go.

Roxy
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    It seems like a lot of the people here who have had successful weight loss have worked out with a personal trainer. How much do you think that has helped, and why?
    I worked with a personal trainer during my last months in London, between October 2010 and January 2011. When I started, I had been cycling to work most days (a bit over 3 miles / 5 km one way), and was eating what I thought was not badly (well... it wasn't, quality-wise, but the portions were too large and there were occasional excesses on sweets beyond what I could afford), but hadn't seen any weight loss from a start at nearly 230 lbs. I hadn't done any organised sport in maybe 20 years, had never been to a gym, wouldn't know where to start using the machines, thought fitness wasn't for me. I'm also not naturally coordinated.

So when I signed up for a gym I also took a special offer of a few sessions with a trainer. The gym (a large Virgin Active in London) hooked me up with a young man called Jason, and it was a great match. (First important point: you need to be comfortable with your trainer's style.) He was immensely helpful: he pushed me more than I would have, set me a reasonable but doable strength training program and *simple* effective cardio. During the time with him I went down nearly 30 pounds, and he was very proud of me.

What I didn't work on with Jason but have seen others benefit was nutrition. My frank opinion -- and the following is full of assertions I'm not backing up by much -- is that it is really quite hard to eat the right amount of calories and the right stuff. Most overweight people don't seem to overeat by very much, so like myself it may be hard to see what's wrong with the eating. And almost worse, once people decide to lose weight, I see a lot go for an excessively low 1000-1200 calories and strenuous exercise. I also think it's harder for a woman as our margin of error tends to be smaller. I used (still use) Myfitnespal for calorie counting, read about BMR, listened to the (slightly dogmatic but useful) Fat2Fit Radio podcast, and ate 1400 calories or thereabouts, plus a little extra on high exercise days and once-a-month occasions for about 8 months before upping the calories a little. I've seen others do similar programs supervised by a trainer with great success.
    Chris - formerly of Heidelberg, Paris and London, now of Fairbanks, Alaska

2011 Kona Sutra 49cm - Selle Italia Diva
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disk 15" - Specialized XC Body Geometry, 143mm

Sorry, forgot Friday, but would like to join back again now after my surgery.

Starting out at 142.6 lbs, goal for end of October: 140.
    Chris - formerly of Heidelberg, Paris and London, now of Fairbanks, Alaska

2011 Kona Sutra 49cm - Selle Italia Diva
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disk 15" - Specialized XC Body Geometry, 143mm

Quote Originally Posted by channlluv View Post
    So, headed in the right direction. 90 pounds to go.
    Congratulations!!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Sorry I missed weighing in! I'm at 215 now. I didn't get to my 199 goal, but losing ten pounds since July isn't anything I'll sneeze at!

Looking forward to the next challenge!
    2010 Jamis Satellite Sport w/ Brooks Flyer Saddle